Using a 2 Year Thai Driving Licence abroad

Hello, I have a question regarding the 2 year thai driving license, will I be able to use this  licence in Europe? 

I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before, I'm just looking for a conclusion, I see many conflicting answers about this.

Many thanks 

I've seen conflicting stories too but as far as I can make out, the 2 year Thai driving licence can be used to drive a small vehicel in the UK for example, for 12 months providing it is valid for 12 months. The DVLA website does not appear to discriminate between licences issued by other countries providing they are a full licence.  Given that you can drive without restriction in Thailand on a 2 year licence, I can't see why it would not be regarded as full.  My understanding of the 2 year Thai licence is that it is a full licence but temporary which is different to provisional.

As you say Europe, you would need to check the rules in the countries you intend to drive in.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-visitor-to-great-britain/any-other-country

You can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)

So the question is: Is the 2 year "temporary license" considered a "full license" in the UK? If you want to be sure you should contact the responsible authority

14 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Dunno about Europe but it is valid in the UK for 12 months on entry. Thereafter a UK licence must be obtained. 100% correct.

Not correct. The 2 year license is a temporary license, therefor not allowed to be used abroad.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Not correct. The 2 year license is a temporary license, therefor not allowed to be used abroad.

100% spot on... Which is why, as mentioned in a post above, you will not be issued with an IDP at any Thai DLT office if you don't have the full 5 year licence.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I've seen conflicting stories too but as far as I can make out, the 2 year Thai driving licence can be used to drive a small vehicel in the UK for example, for 12 months providing it is valid for 12 months. The DVLA website does not appear to discriminate between licences issued by other countries providing they are a full licence.  Given that you can drive without restriction in Thailand on a 2 year licence, I can't see why it would not be regarded as full.  My understanding of the 2 year Thai licence is that it is a full licence but temporary which is different to provisional.

As you say Europe, you would need to check the rules in the countries you intend to drive in.

What defines a small vehicle? I have never seen a UK licence that has a small vehicle classification. Normally a full ordinary driving licence used to be good for driving anything with wheels that was 3,5 tonnes unladen weight or 7,5 tonnes gross weight.

58 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

What defines a small vehicle? I have never seen a UK licence that has a small vehicle classification. Normally a full ordinary driving licence used to be good for driving anything with wheels that was 3,5 tonnes unladen weight or 7,5 tonnes gross weight.

The UK driving licence gives you the category of vehicle you can drive on the back of the licence same as the Thai driving licence temporary or otherwise so that would be your answer as to what size vehicle you can drive.

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The issue is that the license is temporary and it clearly states this on it, I have known several people that have tried to hire cars in the UK using the 2 year license and have been knocked back for this reason, not a problem using the 5 year license.

6 minutes ago, Taffythai65 said:

Simple answer yes.

I recently went to the UK.

With a two year driving licence and hired a car from easy rent car hire at Cardiff airport two year driving licence no problem. 

Good for you it worked, but doesn't mean it is legal, which it clearly is not.

19 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you may want to mention the particular countries you want to drive in to get more specific answers. Also some countries may require an accompanying IDP.

I know its not Europe but I made enquiries in Australia (at the equivalent of DLT) and the answer was "if its a legal license in Thailand, its a legal license in Australia".

Just a shame the Thai Police don't also understand that, all this BS about needing an IDP in Thailand.

20 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Dunno about Europe but it is valid in the UK for 12 months on entry. Thereafter a UK licence must be obtained. 100% correct.

Seeing as it is only a "provisional" licence (5 year is the "full" licence)...I find that hard to believe?

30 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Just a shame the Thai Police don't also understand that, all this BS about needing an IDP in Thailand.

According to the AA then it is a requirement for Thailand, it certainly was prior to the introduction of the UK photo license and pictograms.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Car or motorcycle

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-visitor-to-great-britain/any-other-country

12 hours ago, elliott101 said:

Great news, so it seems it would be accepted to drive in the U.K for up to 12 months.

Your optimism about obtaining a definitive answer is quite charming.

21 hours ago, elliott101 said:

'm sorry if this has been asked many times before, I'm just looking for a conclusion, I see many conflicting answers about this.

And The TV knowledge base comes through with more conflicting answers ... although they do seem to be tilting towards the negative side of "maybe."

1843280856_yesno.jpg.bcc5514c6dfcb1baac78c1ffc2a3f057.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

In 12 years living here I never ever came across a 2 year licence. If I recall my 1st Thai licence was for 1 year and every one since has been 5/6 year licence I have never had a problem if renting a vehicle in another country I would have thought a licence is what it is , if you spend more than 3 months in Thailand then you should apply for a Thai licence problem I always have is they will not let you renew it until it’s run out which seems crazy.

Just now, crazykopite said:

In 12 years living here I never ever came across a 2 year licence. If I recall my 1st Thai licence was for 1 year and every one since has been 5/6 year licence I have never had a problem if renting a vehicle in another country I would have thought a licence is what it is , if you spend more than 3 months in Thailand then you should apply for a Thai licence problem I always have is they will not let you renew it until it’s run out which seems crazy.

2 years came in a while back.

• Thanks 1

"Use this tool to see if you can drive in Great Britain with your non-GB driving licence.

Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland."

If hiring a car, the rental company will have a policy about what is an acceptable licence - probably dictated by their insurers.

This issue of whether a 2 year licence is temporary or provisional seems clear to me.  In the UK, and I think most European countries, you are issued with a provisional licence until you pass your driving test.  Whilst on a provisional licence restrictions apply - i.e. for a car, you must be accompanied by a full licence holder who is over 21 and has held their full licence for 3 years or more. Once you pass your test you can exchange your provisional licence for a full one.

In Thailand, there is no provisional licence and as far as I can see, you learn without a licence and get your full licence when you pass your joke, sorry test ?.  I have no idea why the first licence is only a 2 year one but as far as I know, there are no restrictions to driving on it.  I would therefore consider that at least in the UK it would be considered  a full licence.  I think the problems people have had in the past with a 1 year licence is that to drive in the UK on a foreign licence, it must be valid for at least 12 months.  Clearly that wouldn't have been the case. Now its for 2 years, I can't see a problem as long as there's 12 months left on it.

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

In Thailand, there is no provisional licence and as far as I can see, you learn without a licence and get your full licence when you pass your joke, sorry test ?.  I have no idea why the first licence is only a 2 year one but as far as I know, there are no restrictions to driving on it.  I would therefore consider that at least in the UK it would be considered  a full licence.

No restrictions as such, but does state temporary and is given to Thai's after passing their test initially.

There must be some reason why it has Temporary written on it.