Wife ,42 had 1. GOUT attack

THAIPHUKET

Scary experience to observe the effects. The inability to touch anything.

1 My question in addition to acid increasing food like

Alcoholic beverages (all types)

Some fish, seafood and shellfish, including anchovies, sardines, herring, mussels, codfish, scallops, trout and haddock

bacon, turkey, veal, venison and organ meats like liver

.... are there specific Thai spices or dishes with should be avoided?

I`m suspicious of Chili Pad and fish sauce.

2 Can you name a qualified Thai website or blog on the subject of got

Gout?

Briefly describe your own experience and you are pain under control

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Any Thai food made from shellfish or the seafoods mentioned or the meats mentioned.

Fish sauce is usually made from anchovies but I think very small amounts would be ok. Also it is virtually impossible to avoid.

When cooking at home soy sauce would be an alternative. You can also get Thai fish sauce substitutes at shops selling vegetarian food.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have suffered from Gout for over 10 years - at first it was rally painful and kept recurring.

Doctors then prescribed Allorpurinal and nowadays I rarely suffer a gout attack - I take 300MG daily . It reduces the Uric acid and thus seems to prevent gout pain attacks

I am now able to have alcohol and also red meat , both in moderation - for me a flare up will come with any anchovies, fish sauce or herrings , mackerel etc. As already posted , it varies between sufferers - but you will find the gold standard treatment is Allorpurinal prescribed by a doctor.

My wife has gout and been advised to avoid bamboo shoots. A friend in UK suggested Allopurinol. Very effective, so now she doses up with it, before continuing to eat bamboo shoots. A very 'Thai' approach.

I had a foot issue that everyone was asking if it was gout.  I've seen people with gout and it's a very difference experience.  I needed surgery to cut out a deep infection, but anyway.... a friend who did have occasional gout always carried his perfered brand of tablet because he said if he feels the first tingle, if he takes one of those then it will stop it.  He'd used the same brand from UK (don't recall what it was), but I took the box to Boots the Chemist and they didn't have it.  They said it was very old, and they had another that was also very old that was the nearest they had.

I wanted them not for gout, but when I read the label it was basically a very strong anti inflammatory.  Used them on my foot which was near impossible to walk on and had to hop (prior to the surgery).  It worked a treat for me too.

So I would suggest that rather than modifying diet I would look for a natural anti inflammatory that can be incorporated into food.  In this day and age, with the environment, chemicals and all the other stuff we're not genetically ready for, I suspect that we all suffer from inflammation in some way or other, and may be doing herself (and yourself if you choose) a huge favour.  It's on my list to investigate, and I'll start by looking at mushroom extracts since I've had such amazing turnarounds with some of them (I'm not talking about the stuff you get in your soup ?

1 hour ago, carken said:

I was diagnosed with 3rd stage Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) a couple years back and with that wonderful news came also that my uric acid in blood would increase which in turn would bring on gout, which it did … pain was terrible …my own experience was that dieting wasn’t much help plus if you’ve ever tried dieting for any thing you know how hard it is to stay on diet ….

Long story short is I found a medication that eliminates gout 100%, at least for me it did …. The medication is “Allopurinol” (GENERIC NAME) …. Brand names for it in Thailand is Allo or Alloric or Lopurin or Zyloprim …. I could not find Lopurin or Zyloprim but Allo or Alloric is available from just about any pharmacy, small or large, in Thailand, …. You need to get 100mg tabs or doses … take one(1) in morning and one(1) at night  ….. this medication “Allopurinol” is a very safe drug and almost impossible to overdose …. I started out taking 2ea in morn(200mg) and same at night …. I soon discovered that only 100mg twice a day (morn/night) needed to control gout …. Also good plus is it is a very inexpensive (cheap) medication

GOUT INFORMATION

https://www.medicinenet.com/gout_gouty_arthritis/article.htm

She might not need 2 x 100 mg per day. I take 1 x 100 mg per day and that works for me. She should consult a doctor to see how much she should take.

Hello,

After taking alopurinol 100 for 3 weeks blood test.. if uric acid still high, 200 mg for 3 weeks, blood test.. if still high 300.. This is the maximum dosage..

A lot of food has to be avoided.. You can find them using google..

To lower the body acidity, also go for a lot of lemon fresh juice (when going into the body, acidity of lemon gets transformed in a base, so, lowering the acidity level of the body)

Also use Uralyt (chemist.. 650 bahts a box).. It comes with strips to use and check your urine acidity

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Hello,
After taking alopurinol 100 for 3 weeks blood test.. if uric acid still high, 200 mg for 3 weeks, blood test.. if still high 300.. This is the maximum dosage..
A lot of food has to be avoided.. You can find them using google..
To lower the body acidity, also go for a lot of lemon fresh juice (when going into the body, acidity of lemon gets transformed in a base, so, lowering the acidity level of the body)
Also use Uralyt (chemist.. 650 bahts a box).. It comes with strips to use and check your urine acidity
Good luck
Gout is caused by elevated uric acid levels but this is not the same as acidity in the blood or body. Blood and cells of the body are slways slightly alkaline and maintained at a constant pH of 7.35 - 7.45. Deviations from this occur only in several illness/organ failure and you will be in critical condition in an ICU. Elevated uric acid levels do not alter this.

Whatever the lemon juice may or may not do, it's mode of action has nothing to do with making the body less acidic. Nor is there any need to do so.

Having high uric acid level, they also checked my urine acidity.. level was bad around 6 and not around 7.5 as it should (and Dr said the excess of acidity was expulsed from the body under various forms.. one being producing uric acid..reason why I thought it was linked)

They told me to go for apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, uralyt.... and alopurinol.. Levels are now back to normal for over a year for both uric acid and acidity..

Very few doctors check the acidity levels.. (for me never done in years) though, as you say, this can be the source of many illnesses..

Have a nice day

• Like 2

I have low level uric acid, eat and drink anything have gout once or twice a year. I take chochicine when an attack is coming yes you can tell. Years ago read an interesting article about gout and it actually starts a the liver loses its ability to produce an enzyme that neutralizes purines, as they increase the kidneys cannot cope and you will have a rise in uric acid. Diet your joking right juat about any food that worth eating has purines check out the list. well good luck, and stay hydrated 

• Like 1

In terms of foods , particularly shellfish can cause gout .  A remedy that has been used for many years is Barley water ; I believe you bring to the boil water with a few grains of pearl barley , before pouring it into a jug and drinking the water whenever you need a drink of water .  

• Like 1

Word of caution to anybody who self medicates for gout:  Monitor your kidney and liver functions.

The first medication my doctor had me on was Allopurinol and my liver function test results went through the roof.  She worried that if I continued with Allopurinol I might face liver failure.  Ditto for the second med she put me on, whose name I currently can't remember.  I'm currently taking Sulfin which brought my uric acid and liver function test to the lower end of normal.  I'm also on Colchicine/Colcine.  Once I've maintained the good blood test results for six months straight, she said I could stop Colchicine.

And, I still had a gout attack four months into my good test results (including low uric acid) period.  Nothing out of the ordinary in diet that I could think of.  I didn't understand my doctor's explanation, but she was quite confident that such random attacks can occur even WITH normal test results AND on Cochicine and Sulfin.  To help with this latest attack she added on an anti-inflammatory (Prednisilone) but cautioned to only do it for a short period of time due to concern for the liver again.  I'd heard that before when I was taking another anti-inflammatory (Voltaren) for lower back pain.

Each body can react differently, I'm just cautioning to watch for the side effects.

16 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

For acute gout use Indoman  (Indometacin ) as anti-inflammatory.

Don't forget Diclofenac, anti inflammation and a good to very good pain killer. Where Tramadol doesn't affect me at all, Declofenac does wonders. That is, as one or two already said, different from person to person. And it kills the/my gout almost instantly and you can walk normally so you don't get any other anormallies lol

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

I have suffered from gout for years, now I take Alopurinol 1 in the morning and one at bedtime, never have any problems now, I can and do eat and drink whatever I want. Go to Facino and buy a box of Xandase 100 mg, 1000 Baht for 500 tablets.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

I think everyone is different, I started getting gout attacks a couple of years ago...and have slowly worked out what does and what doesn't trigger it...the last one found was raw tomatoes. Getting dehydrated also kicks it off quite quickly...luckily alcohol doesn't (except red wine).

Get some Colchicine (check with doc first) and as soon as the symptoms start take two...do not wait until the pain actually starts, it's too late by then.

Be very careful with the Colchicine as the max dose is 4 per day and do not take longer than 3 days. The drug stops the white blood cells travelling to the inflamed area but I find it works best if taken with an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen. Allopurinol can actually make the symptoms worse so it is best to start taking it when you are gout free. The body dispels uric acid via your urine so to get dehydrated increases your chance of an attack. Avoid all foods high in purines, which is all the good stuff ? The body converts the purines to uric acid. Our body is naturally alkaline but our diet is quite acidic which allows uric acid to thrive. I take a daily dose of Apple Cider Vinegar (its horrible) which is very acidic but the body converts this to alkaline and since I've been taking it my attacks have decreased enormously. I rarely have to take any drugs now but I still get twinges so it's not a cure but combined with avoiding shellfish etc it keeps it under control. I do not avoid alcohol but I do keep hydrated. This disease is very common in men but quite rare in women.

• Like 1

I agree with the guy who said everyone has different triggers. For me it's drinking too much beer over a few days. My Thai doctor swears I have to avoid chicken but it doesn't cause any problems for me.

6 minutes ago, akirasan said:

I agree with the guy who said everyone has different triggers. For me it's drinking too much beer over a few days. My Thai doctor swears I have to avoid chicken but it doesn't cause any problems for me.

I was told by a Thai Dr do not eat winged beasts, so that's fiery dragons off the menu.

True story as I live and breathe ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Gout is caused by elevated uric acid levels but this is not the same as acidity in the blood or body. Blood and cells of the body are slways slightly alkaline and maintained at a constant pH of 7.35 - 7.45. Deviations from this occur only in several illness/organ failure and you will be in critical condition in an ICU. Elevated uric acid levels do not alter this.

Whatever the lemon juice may or may not do, it's mode of action has nothing to do with making the body less acidic. Nor is there any need to do so.

Gout sufferers personal experience, including me, are finding that the alkalizing effect of apple cider vinegar and lemons do indeed help control gout. The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

I developed gout in the UK over 20 years ago, my UK doctor prescribed allopurinol 300mg once a day for the rest of my life.  Here in Thailand, it is called Purinol, I have taken it ever since and never miss a day.  I can eat and drink anything and everything, no diet, no problem.