Wife ,42 had 1. GOUT attack

THAIPHUKET

Due to heart diseases and taking numerous medications including diuretics i suffered for years with severe gout attacks. I read on the internet( I know dont believe everything) that it was due to high acid levels and suggested i take Baking soda. I take a teaspoon in water on the onset of an attack and literally the gout is gone in hours. Its non toxik and worth a try when you get thee attack and think its too late. Allopurinol is not recommended if you are actually suffering an attack but you can have baking soda ( Sodium Bicarb)

Good luck

I’ve had gout attacks off and on for 7 years now every 2-3 months. If you let it get full blown it’s extremely painful.  Usually knees or foot (big toe). It is so painful you can barely get around if at all. 

The Colchicine as suggested prior works very well and most local pharmacies have it.

There are two readily available at local pharmacies for gout. One for daily maintenance and other when an attack comes on.  Maybe someone on the forum knows. Colchicine is one 

I dont take it daily anymore, usually can tell when it’s coming on and take the medicine a couple of days. I eat whatever I feel like.

Try the medicine above and you should be good to go. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Check your science before you post nonsense advice.  Alcohol does not contain purines.  Some specific alcoholic drinks (most notably beer) do contain purines, though very little.  The problem associated with drinking alcohol is more to do with dehydration than with the purine content.

For me staying hydrated is the key. I drink a lot of water everyday. I'm more likely to have an attack when I let myself get dehydrated. As long as I stay hydrated  I can get away with eating some of the "bad" foods.

• Like 1

I can agree with all said here, just to add, the anti-inflamm med NEOTICA is reccomend to me by a small drug store here and i must say it is like a miracle for me.

but you take ONLY when an attack is underway.

it will usually fix mine in 24 hours. 

(make sure they give you meds to eat, else they give you a cream version!)

also it is my belief that gout can sometimes come more from dehydration than anything you eat. 

Allopurinol  takes while a while to start working .Allopurinol is used for the long term prevention of gout and not for immediate treatment of gout flare ups. There are are  medicines are used for the rapid relief of gout symptoms.A build up of uric acid is also responsible for certain types of kidney disease and some types of kidney stone. In the same way that allopurinol prevents gout, it can also prevent the formation of new kidney stones.I have had gout for over 30 years and know what flares it up. Since taking allopurinol the gout attacks are less frequent and not as long . I take 300 mg each day. It took a long time for the medicine to start working , and the crystals in your body have to break down too.Red meat is a killer , same as shellfish  processed foods sugar drinks and alcohol .

8 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Allopurinol  takes while a while to start working .Allopurinol is used for the long term prevention of gout and not for immediate treatment of gout flare ups. There are are  medicines are used for the rapid relief of gout symptoms.A build up of uric acid is also responsible for certain types of kidney disease and some types of kidney stone. In the same way that allopurinol prevents gout, it can also prevent the formation of new kidney stones.I have had gout for over 30 years and know what flares it up. Since taking allopurinol the gout attacks are less frequent and not as long . I take 300 mg each day. It took a long time for the medicine to start working , and the crystals in your body have to break down too.Red meat is a killer , same as shellfish  processed foods sugar drinks and alcohol .

I use Cataflam for rapid relief when I have an attack. It's strong stuff and can cause stomach problems if over used.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maybefitz said:

My wife has gout and been advised to avoid bamboo shoots. A friend in UK suggested Allopurinol. Very effective, so now she doses up with it, before continuing to eat bamboo shoots. A very 'Thai' approach.

Bamboo and chicken! Gout is a build up of uric acid which crystallizes in the joints apparently bamboo and chicken are 2 foods which create uric acid in the joints

Colchicine, which is an alkaloid extracted from the plant Colchicum autumnale (autumn crocus), can be very effective in treating gout -- but it can also be dangerous when self medicating without monitoring colchicine levels.

Beware of the colchicine-dosage advice given here. Very stupid to take this advice without considering the colchicine levels in the tablets/pills.

The safest -- and often very effective -- remedy I have experienced is celery seed. I don't have gout but over the past thirty years I've often seen it work very well in relieving and/or preventing gout attacks.

Celery seed is very cheap and is available in bulk at Makro. Add rounded teaspoon to cup of water and boil gently for five minutes, strain and drink. Drink two or three cups per day.

The most convenient way to take celery seed is to make celery seed tincture. Fill jar or bottle half-full of celery seed and cover with vodka. Shake twice per day for at least one week. Then squeeze/strain through cotton cloth, and bottle. The tincture will keep well without going bad.Take a teaspoon of tincture in a cup of water two or three times per day.

The main drawback of celery seed in treating gout is that many (most?) people think it's way too simple to work.

FWIW ..... 

• Like 1

Recent research has changed on food intake and gout. Allapurinol prevents another outbreak of gout but does not cure the current about.  We are fortunate here in Thailand to be able to get powerful pain killers. You can also get regular ureac acid tests. Some people recommend sour cherries. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Colchicine, which is an alkaloid extracted from the plant Colchicum autumnale (autumn crocus), can be very effective in treating gout -- but it can also be dangerous when self medicating without monitoring colchicine levels.

Beware of the colchicine-dosage advice given here. Very stupid to take this advice without considering the colchicine levels in the tablets/pills.

The safest -- and often very effective -- remedy I have experienced is celery seed. I don't have gout but over the past thirty years I've often seen it work very well in relieving and/or preventing gout attacks.

Celery seed is very cheap and is available in bulk at Makro. Add rounded teaspoon to cup of water and boil gently for five minutes, strain and drink. Drink two or three cups per day.

The most convenient way to take celery seed is to make celery seed tincture. Fill jar or bottle half-full of celery seed and cover with vodka. Shake twice per day for at least one week. Then squeeze/strain through cotton cloth, and bottle. The tincture will keep well without going bad.Take a teaspoon of tincture in a cup of water two or three times per day.

The main drawback of celery seed in treating gout is that many (most?) people think it's way too simple to work.

FWIW ..... 

The Celery Seed... well there equivalent products on pharm shelves; 

Example (in Australia) marketed by Blackmores (Celery3000)

It's formulation:

Apium Graveolens (Celery) extract equiv to dry seed 3gm, Celery seed oil 2mg

In the meantime, I've on hand Cochicine

Always drink heaps of water, and at onset, increase the water further by heaps!

Daily Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar

Have the Baking Soda here, as plain old Bi-Carb;

but thinking that the little bottle of ENO in the cupboard might be a better tasting variant to explore?

6 hours ago, carken said:

I was diagnosed with 3rd stage Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) a couple years back and with that wonderful news came also that my uric acid in blood would increase which in turn would bring on gout, which it did … pain was terrible …my own experience was that dieting wasn’t much help plus if you’ve ever tried dieting for any thing you know how hard it is to stay on diet ….

Long story short is I found a medication that eliminates gout 100%, at least for me it did …. The medication is “Allopurinol” (GENERIC NAME) …. Brand names for it in Thailand is Allo or Alloric or Lopurin or Zyloprim …. I could not find Lopurin or Zyloprim but Allo or Alloric is available from just about any pharmacy, small or large, in Thailand, …. You need to get 100mg tabs or doses … take one(1) in morning and one(1) at night  ….. this medication “Allopurinol” is a very safe drug and almost impossible to overdose …. I started out taking 2ea in morn(200mg) and same at night …. I soon discovered that only 100mg twice a day (morn/night) needed to control gout …. Also good plus is it is a very inexpensive (cheap) medication

GOUT INFORMATION

https://www.medicinenet.com/gout_gouty_arthritis/article.htm

Were you able to drink beer and no gout with this drug?

11 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Bad news, stay away from roids

Adverse reactions can occur with colchicine use and it's important for you to be aware of that potential.

Bone marrow depression, with aplastic anemia, with agranulocytosis, or with thrombocytopenia may occur in patients receiving long-term therapy.

Other possible adverse reactions include:

• Peripheral neuritis
  • Purpura
  • Myopathy
  • Hair loss
  • Reversible azoospermia (complete absence of sperm)

Vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea are side effects that may occur with colchicine therapy, especially when the maximum doses are prescribed.

2 hours ago, Tom89 said:

I use Cataflam for rapid relief when I have an attack. It's strong stuff and can cause stomach problems if over used.

Long term prior sufferer 

This one reminds me of a time when I was given a medication when I had Gout in my wrist (I had ran out of Colchicine )

The Thai Pharmacist wouldn't give me any, stating bad for stomach ( it didn't work for me any way )

Lets say you had an attack

* Doctors will no doubt prescribe Colchicine ( I take one a day ), with an Anti- inflamatory 

* After attack they will or may (pending on ocurance ) put you on a daily dose of Allapurinol 

I don't worry about diets 

Also Colchicine is used for another cure & is not an Anti-inflametory (which I read posters stating before )

No Chicken, No internal organ meats, Fish without scales in trouble, with scales is ok. Also young "shoot" vegetables. I've delt with this fo ryears

Allopurinol is a long term drug to bring levels under control it is not a take it and now you can eat anything. 

If you have an attack Cholchicine ot indocine will stop uric acid production but will not lower it. 

Chronic gout cn ponly be treated with longterm Allopurinol until levels are acceptable then diet is the key to reduce further attacks

Drinking lots of fluids has been mentioned already, but I'd like to reiterate, elaborate, and add a suggestion.

It's important to stay hydrated all the time, but often we forget. It's good to be in the habit of continuously testing yourself by observing the color of your urine. It should be as faintly colored as possible. If you make this a habit, then you may never need to take remedial action.

Suggestion: Find whatever works for you to facilitate drinking lots of fluids. For me I like fruit juices but don't like the sugar and calories, so I dilute fruit juice in water, 1 part juice to 2-3 parts water. This makes drinking liquids easy and pleasant for me.

Have lived with Gout for over 20 years, although I now rarely have any attacks as is under control.

We are all different and people with gout will have different Gout triggers regarding food, so you need to find which foods are the high risks ones for you. Yes all red meats and rich food are the usual things to avoid but I will tell you now Chicken has never given me a gout attack. Now red meat, lamb steak offal yes. Mushrooms (I love them ) but they can be bad for gout.

I ended up seeing a Rheumatologist things were that bad; he had me over a 12 mth period on different doses of Allopurinol untill I het the sweet spot for me.

I take 300mg every morning, eat a balanced diet and pretty much eat what I want and if a do feel a tinge of an attack will take 1mg Colchicine (made from the crocus flower) per day until has cleared and five days after (thats as directed by the Rheumatologist) in conjunction with Naproxen (anti-inflammatory painkiller) that clears it within a day or two if bad attack, but as I said has been a few years since I had a debilitating attack of gout, the pain is unbearable.

They say its the yeast in beer that is one of the main gout triggers, so lager is prob better than bitter. Port and red wines are high up on the gout list. 

Dieting can bring on gout attacks as it upsets you uric acid levels so no quick diet plans as it can trigger an attack, as someone said if getting repeated attacks you need to get on the right dose of allopurinol. 

I would not self medicate, if you have gout then you need to see a doctor and get the right medication for you if not it will start affecting other areas in your body and you will have problems!

If you wife is taking any medications she should find the product website from the manufacture and look for side effects.  I got gout 5 years ago and it turned out to be from my high blood pressure medication.  Hydrochlorothiazide was the name of the drug.  I was shocked!  When I showed the doctor the information on the manufacture product site,  he said probably not true just high uric acid and eating too many hot dogs and beer.  My test didn't show high uric acid and I don't drink alcohol and hadn't had a hot dog in years.

I got a different doctor and a different blood pressure medication and have not had an attack sense that time.

I don't know what other medications can cause gout but checking product websites for side effects is a good place to start.

You might also check out cherry juice and cherry extract and cherries when they are in season.  There is some chemical in them that relieves gout and arthritis.  I used it with great success the few weeks I suffered as I tracked down the cause of the problem.

16 hours ago, Neilly said:

I think everyone is different, I started getting gout attacks a couple of years ago...and have slowly worked out what does and what doesn't trigger it...the last one found was raw tomatoes. Getting dehydrated also kicks it off quite quickly...luckily alcohol doesn't (except red wine).

Get some Colc hicine (check with doc first) and as soon as the symptoms start take two...do not wait until the pain actually starts, it's too late by then.

I'm like you i take  tablet as soon as i feel the symptoms although i choose 50 mg sodium diclofenac

I've tried taking allopurinol but couldn't get the balance right.and still got attacks so i stopped taking it (also i didn't like taking tablets every day)

• Like 2

go to a good natural herbs shop and you ask for

cat's whisker  (herb)

ORTHOSIPHON ARISTATUS

The tisane reduces the amounts of uric acid in the body by flushing them out with its diuretic action, and this makes it useful for gout and arthritis sufferers. It contains bioflavonoids and methylripariochromene A in the leaves which is believed to be the substances that acts to reduce blood pressure. It also contains ursolic acid and oleanolic acid among other constituents. It is also rich in the mineral potassium.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Gout is caused by elevated uric acid levels but this is not the same as acidity in the blood or body. Blood and cells of the body are slways slightly alkaline and maintained at a constant pH of 7.35 - 7.45. Deviations from this occur only in several illness/organ failure and you will be in critical condition in an ICU. Elevated uric acid levels do not alter this.

Whatever the lemon juice may or may not do, it's mode of action has nothing to do with making the body less acidic. Nor is there any need to do so.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

every food has an acidic or alkaline ASH after digestion

the body will go to the Calcium storage tank, aka your bones

it will leech calcium from the bones to control your, as you say, normal range of PH in the blood that always stays the same, well, until you drop dead off course

3 hours ago, rumbo1 said:

I've tried taking allopurinol but couldn't get the balance right.and still got attacks so i stopped taking it (also i didn't like taking tablets every day)

I had exactly the same experience...and I also hate taking tablets every day as well

Used to have the big "G" regularly but changed blood pressure tablets  get it about once a year if that now

But always keep my 2 best friends nearby Dicofenac and Colchichine  They can solve it and i eat and drink what i like

I used to suffer with gout at least once a year,usually in big toe joint,

then i would take Zyloric and that would after a time cure it,if it got

really bad I would go to doctor and he would give me an injection,dont

know what it was but would cure it in matter of hours.

It must be at least 10 years since I have had a gout attack,don't know why

it stopped ,as have changed none of my eating habits,just hope it never

returns (touch wood).

regards worgeordie

13 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

If by "roids" you mean steroids, Colchicine is not a steroid. Colchicine is a plant derived alkaloid. 

This is correct, colchicine is not a steroid.

However it does have potentially serious adverse effects and is best used under medical supervision.

For that matter, allopurinol usage requires periodic liver function tests.