Wife ,42 had 1. GOUT attack

THAIPHUKET

42 minutes ago, dickjones2018 said:

every food has an acidic or alkaline ASH after digestion

the body will go to the Calcium storage tank, aka your bones

it will leech calcium from the bones to control your, as you say, normal range of PH in the blood that always stays the same, well, until you drop dead off course

This is completely inaccurate.

pH is controlled - very efficiently - by the lungs and kidneys.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This is correct, colchicine is not a steroid.

However it does have potentially serious adverse effects and is best used under medical supervision.

This is very much a personal opinion, but I used colchicine quite extensively back during my medical research days.  It blocks cell division (mitosis).  A very convenient feature for a cytogeneticist, but not something I would want happening inside my body.  I would not take colchicine or any similar drug such as vincristine or griseofulvin.  I believe colchicine in particular is far too frequently prescribed unnecessarily.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, Sheryl said:

Any Thai food made from shellfish or the seafoods mentioned or the meats mentioned.

Fish sauce is usually made from anchovies but I think very small amounts would be ok. Also it is virtually impossible to avoid.

When cooking at home soy sauce would be an alternative. You can also get Thai fish sauce substitutes at shops selling vegetarian food.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thai's in my areas say to avoid chicken. Seems to work for me.

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Gout is caused by elevated uric acid levels but this is not the same as acidity in the blood or body. Blood and cells of the body are slways slightly alkaline and maintained at a constant pH of 7.35 - 7.45. Deviations from this occur only in several illness/organ failure and you will be in critical condition in an ICU. Elevated uric acid levels do not alter this.

Whatever the lemon juice may or may not do, it's mode of action has nothing to do with making the body less acidic. Nor is there any need to do so.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would have thought if you give the body some acidic stuff, and separately some alkaline stuff, then the body will take what it needs and flush out what it doesn't want.  Different parts of the body keep their own levels too.  Eyeball not same as blood, or different parts of your stomach for example.

I find that in many issues it's all about breaking a cycle and things get back to normal quickly, be it multi-day squits, edema of a body part or whatever.

Remember all that fluff about alkaline water?  Turns out it was nothing to do with pH, but a side effect that made a lot of hydrogen available.  Explains the variable reviews somewhat.

I'm sticking with the inflammation theory though re OP's question.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:58 PM, carken said:

I was diagnosed with 3rd stage Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) a couple years back and with that wonderful news came also that my uric acid in blood would increase which in turn would bring on gout, which it did … pain was terrible …my own experience was that dieting wasn’t much help plus if you’ve ever tried dieting for any thing you know how hard it is to stay on diet ….

Long story short is I found a medication that eliminates gout 100%, at least for me it did …. The medication is “Allopurinol” (GENERIC NAME) …. Brand names for it in Thailand is Allo or Alloric or Lopurin or Zyloprim …. I could not find Lopurin or Zyloprim but Allo or Alloric is available from just about any pharmacy, small or large, in Thailand, …. You need to get 100mg tabs or doses … take one(1) in morning and one(1) at night  ….. this medication “Allopurinol” is a very safe drug and almost impossible to overdose …. I started out taking 2ea in morn(200mg) and same at night …. I soon discovered that only 100mg twice a day (morn/night) needed to control gout …. Also good plus is it is a very inexpensive (cheap) medication

GOUT INFORMATION

https://www.medicinenet.com/gout_gouty_arthritis/article.htm

Totally agree.

I never had gout till I moved to Thailand 10 years back.

Because it first started in my right hand , and my Uric acid levels werent in the red zone , the Drs at Bangkok Hospital initially thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome.

I personally blamed Beer Chang ! 555

Anyway within a year it came in my toes , ouch , and the levels spiked.

I was put on 100 mg of allopurinal a day and experienced an immediate cure ( within a week)

Later it broke through and I am on 300 mg tablet called "Puride" , once a day.

As stated , there are NO side effects known with allopurinal and it really works.

Compare that to the damage pain killers do to alleviate the misery , and Puride wins hands down.

I view diet as controlling it ,  with cynicism as well.

Funny enough the Thais also suffer a lot with gout - they call it "Gow !'

They blame chicken/fowl for it.

Dunno why.

Go to the Drs and get the Uric levels tested.

You can buy Puride 100 mg very easily at most chemists.. but 'experimenting' with it can actually bring on a bout of gout , so see the Dr..

This is one of those thing that you really need to monitor yourself.  I've got gout in one joint.  Seems to be congenital.  My dad just pushed though it.  My sister had the inside of her joint scraped and then fused then bought orthopedic shoes to keep that frozen joint from disintegrating.  I looked at what she did and decided I didn't want to walk that path (with a limp).   As I've gotten older, I've started to look at what tends to trigger gout attacks.  Culprits?  High meat protein meals.  Ok, I use to body build and power lift back in the day (stopped the heavy stuff about 11 years ago).  Given my age, there ain't much 'sexy' anymore and bulking for power lifting?  Most of the power lifters I know who are my age are all pretty much burnt-out hurt units --But They Have Records!!!!!.  Too, too much. The Body builders I knew?  Not as bad other than liver issues.  And all that 'sexy'.  <smirk>  It goes away.

I sort of discovered this last year after overindulging on chicken after breaking a fast for 3 days that chicken meat is not my friend.  I broke the fast, then lifted heavy, and ate a large chicken breast - and suffered big time - Oh tasty, tasty, tasty - the ouch ouch ouch .  Once I cut back on the protein and went into moderation with a smaller potions of meat and more plant based protein, thing cleared up over the next week.

Look on the Internet regarding fasting for decreasing inflammation, as opposed to ingesting heavy intakes of proteins such as chicken which can 'trigger' a gout attack, and moderation in exercise and food intake to control the gout.   When I control what I eat and my exercise routines, I'm pain free and I have relatively good mobility.  As like right now.  And in my mid-sixties, sexy ain't my goal - I look in the mirror, it looks good enough.

So it is manageable! Read, experiment, see what works and what doesn't.  I've had doctors tell me that I "Needed Surgery!!!".  I've also dealt with pain levels from 0 to about 9 on a pain threshold where 9 is the most painful. 
*** Today, right now, my pain level is 0 and that joint is significantly reduced in sized.  On a side note.  I just finished a 3 day water fast and I'm currently s-l-o-w-l-y  re-feeding.  Meat is not on my menu right now.  Won't be for a few days and then in moderation. 

So, do your research.  There is a lot of good info backed by hard science nowadays.  You gotta do your homework.  Best of luck!!!

Edited by connda

On 7/12/2018 at 4:41 PM, Oxx said:

Check your science before you post nonsense advice.  Alcohol does not contain purines.  Some specific alcoholic drinks (most notably beer) do contain purines, though very little.  The problem associated with drinking alcohol is more to do with dehydration than with the purine content.

Are you complaining because I didn’t add a comma?

I wrote “and alcohol”. I didn’t say alcohol contains purines. 

It’s another gout trigger and something to avoid if you have elevated uric acid levels

On 7/12/2018 at 5:01 PM, hugocnx said:

Don't forget Diclofenac, anti inflammation and a good to very good pain killer. Where Tramadol doesn't affect me at all, Declofenac does wonders. That is, as one or two already said, different from person to person. And it kills the/my gout almost instantly and you can walk normally so you don't get any other anormallies lol

It's good, but it also gave me a peptic ulcer.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, Lazybones said:

Thai's in my areas say to avoid chicken. Seems to work for me.

I've looked into this a little bit. It's actually the chicken skin that's an issue with gout. I eat skinless chicken breast without any problem.

5 hours ago, joealx said:

It's good, but it also gave me a peptic ulcer.

That's bad. Funny how people differ. I had a peptic ulcer when I was 19. Actually never fully recovered, but these days can stand diclofenac.. But I usually take low doses, like 2 a day for 2 or 3 days.

• Thanks 1

Gout is often hereditary - uric acid is made by body regardless of what we eat so for those predisposed for gout uric acid levels should be controlled.  At least that has worked for me - father and all six of his brothers had severe gout and I developed in late 40's but since beginning allopurinol after last attack in 1989 have not had more than maybe slight issues that did not require medication (not even sure if gout).  Do check uric acid levels every 3-6 months and will controlled.  For several decades used 300mg but now on 100mg per day and still controlled.  Do not drink or eat much organ meats but will have small bits of liver in Thai food and do eat chicken.  

Be aware allopurinol is available by that name in Thailand at about 2 baht each (100mg) - but most drug stores will push sale of much higher priced name brand.

39 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Very helpful Kn lopburi. Do y take

allopurinol preventive or only when critical X reached?

Preventive daily since 1989.  About 4 years ago doctors reduced to 100mg daily from previous 300mg and still holding within normal range.