Belgian loses watch to foreign grifter

Rimmer

Belgian loses watch to foreign grifter

image.png

PATTAYA:-- A Belgian tourist said he was robbed by a Middle Eastern man he befriended in a Jomtien restaurant and took back to his hotel room.

Jean Mubert filed a police complaint against Waqar Ahmad July 2, a day before he was scheduled to leave Thailand and four days after the Middle Eastern expat in his mid-20s allegedly stole his new Calvin Klein watch and held it ransom for 5,000 baht.

Mubert said after meeting Ahmad at an Indian restaurant he invited him back to the Jomtien Complex Resort and Spa for a swim. Afterward they planned to go to dinner, so the Belgian had his new friend come up to his hotel room.

While he showered, Mubert said Ahmad stole the 10,800-baht watch and left.

The Belgian contacted Ahmad via a messaging app and the suspect offered to return the timepiece for 5,000 baht. Mubert refused. He said Ahmad messaged him again several times begging for the money, but the victim instead went to police. He also went to the watch store to warn them that the Middle Easterner might try to return it for a refund.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/belgian-loses-watch-foreign-grifter-215807

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-07-13
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

he invited him back to the Jomtien Complex Resort and Spa for a swim

It´s here I just start to not believe this story no more. Call me cynical, but........  Yeah, yeah, it´s nothing wrong with that, Mr. Mubert.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, sure there probably (definitely) was a sexual aspect to inviting the alleged thief to his room. Nothing wrong with that. Understandable that the victim doesn't want the focus of his police report about that. It wasn't a sex crime he was reporting. It was a theft. Sure he should have been more careful with his property, but if this item really was stolen (appears so) then it's a legitimate crime report. I get it some of you want to bash the guy as being a old gay fool, but theft is theft, and sexual orientation isn't the issue here. 

I quite agree and that's why I phrased my post the way I did (the serious bit, I mean). Ignoring race, colour and  sexual proclivity which are all rightly irrelevant, It IS theft (allegedly until proven) but the fact remains that the victim brought it on himself by not taking due care. I love Pattaya but sadly, one has to assume the worst of strangers and be pleasantly surprised if one is wrong. That approach has always worked for me and allows me to relax.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Still don't think it's OK to blame the victim. 

Crime of opportunity or not, stealing an expensive watch is still a crime. 

Not blaming the victim for the theft JT - but when I park my car I lock it to try to prevent it being stolen - hopefully.

In this case, if the Belgian had taken due precautions, the theft might have been avoided.

Call it "due diligence" if you like.

• Like 2

Just now, champers said:

It is plain wrong to show the victim's face and the alleged thief gets to keep his anonimity.

Good point, especially considering how many people still stigmatize homosexuality. It's a theft report yet people are obsessed with irrelevant sexual insinuations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Still don't think it's OK to blame the victim. 

Crime of opportunity or not, stealing an expensive watch is still a crime. 

10000 Baths is not an expensive watch. But think of this " He also went to the watch store to warn them that the Middle Easterner might try to return it for a refund. " How the boy known where he buy that watch ? What I think is that the belgium don't known or don't want to known that sex is not free in Pattaya or maybe he think he is a luckiest guy on hearth to get free sex at Pattaya ? Maybe the arab guy don't want to tell him that he is a bitch and ask for some pocket money instead of "money for the service" but the Belgium guy don't give him money.

• Sad 1

10000 Baths is not an expensive watch. But think of this " He also went to the watch store to warn them that the Middle Easterner might try to return it for a refund. " How the boy known where he buy that watch ? What I think is that the belgium don't known or don't want to known that sex is not free in Pattaya or maybe he think he is a luckiest guy on hearth to get free sex at Pattaya ? Maybe the arab guy don't want to tell him that he is a bitch and ask for some pocket money instead of "money for the service" but the Belgium guy don't give him money.
You're making stuff up.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Nope.  Just common sense.  If you don't know where the thief is calling from, run a simple sting operation to get him out in the open.  As for your inane comment about personal experience, not me.  You are the one that posted about robbing from gays, saying they won't complain much

Fair enough. 
It is a good idea actually.

I personally haven't been the victim of such a property theft crime like that but it's common knowledge among gay people that there are many criminals taking advantage like that much more so in countries where being gay is criminalized or being outed could ruin your career. 

In fact, there is often violence as well in such crimes and the same issue with people being reluctant to report the crimes.

It's not only a gay thing. "Respectable" straight gentlemen obviously involved with prostitutes would often have similar reluctance to expose their real self and also not report many crimes. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Another important point about this.

Look at what's happening to the crime victim now.

His picture and name in the press.

People wagging their tongues about gay stuff when that's irrelevant to the reported crime.

Imagine how many other crimes this perp might have done against gay men thinking they probably won't report the crimes because of this kind of public attention.

We can't know but I would judge it quite likely that this is an M.O. for this guy and similar criminals.

Target gay men. Don't do violence. They probably will never report the crimes out of embarrassment. 

Show some pride! No matter if you're straight, bent, a shemale, switch hitter, starfish trooper or sheepshagger, show pride in your sexual identity.

Don't make it such a big deal ... come to terms with yourself. Don't live in conflict with the world (and your ignore list).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VBF said:

Not blaming the victim for the theft JT - but when I park my car I lock it to try to prevent it being stolen - hopefully.

In this case, if the Belgian had taken due precautions, the theft might have been avoided.

Call it "due diligence" if you like.

"Park my Car"

Not heard that one before.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good point, especially considering how many people still stigmatize homosexuality. It's a theft report yet people are obsessed with irrelevant sexual insinuations. 

Can't really say sex is irrelevant as that was the reason for the invite back to the room. The criticism on here would have been much the same had the "victim" been heterosexual. 

No one is criticising the guy for being gay only for being careless and naive. 

Edited by Davmaac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davmaac said:

Can't really say sex is irrelevant as that was the reason for the invite back to the room. The criticism on here would have been much the same had the "victim" been heterosexual. 

No one is criticising the guy for being gay only for being careless and naive. 

The guy was invited to his room. It's fair to assume it was likely about sex. It is not fair to assume it was necessarily a commercial transaction as some have insinuated. It might have been or maybe not. Perhaps sex was hinted at or promised merely as a way to be invited in for a potential theft. In any case, an expensive item was reported as stolen. There is no way even if there was a commercial agreement that an expensive watch was promised. People have suggested the victim refused to pay the guy for sex. You don't even know if there was sex, and you certainly don't know if there was a commercial agreement that he refused to pay. That to me sounds highly unlikely.

The report to the police explained why the accused was there. Maybe that was the truth, maybe not. Most are assuming not, which is understandable. But he was invited regardless. An expensive item was reported stolen. What does sex if there was any have to do with that at all? 

You're wrong that no nobody is criticizing him for being gay. 
I posted a link with an anti-gay SLUR. Did you miss it?

The sexual insinuations, the gay slurs, make this story juicier than it actually is. The alleged thief gained access to the guy's room as he was invited. The report was about a theft. That is the crime if it did occur (seems likely). It's not a crime to invite people into your room to watch football, have sex, whatever. It is a crime to STEAL. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1