What's The Catch?

ChiangMaiThai

Six months pass and Alan is sporting a new SUV, new condo, new gadgets of every kind, and an amazingly hot Thai girlfriend who I swear just stepped out of Penthouse magazine.
He means she is made entirely of glossy paper.

Here's the catch:

To get invited to surveys there is a membership fee of $34.95

That should read "You will never receive another email from us ever."

I know what you're thinking 'Awww I don't wanna buy anything!'

That should say "Awww, die!"

work-thailand.gif

And this image should really say:

"I am a dirty spammer, all I'm doing on this earth is vying for a better seat in H3LL!"

The website is registered to a Miles Thomas (not necessarily the real name) and is operated through 'GoDaddy.com.

All personal details are hidden.

Given the nature of this site I don't think it would be inappropriate for the webmaster on Thaivisa to contact Godaddy and ask for more information.

wow i just signed up and am eagerly awaiting my big pile of cash to be ejected from my laptop...cant wait.thanks for the lead.

all you other cynics must try it.

then prehaps we can all retire together to pattaya and spend the rest of our days living the life of luxuary.

My God splitlid, you're right, I signed up too and am now surrounded by Thai girls that appear to have been cut out of Penthouse - see the paper girls dance!

woooo!

and the gadgets! I have a batman utility belt, an austin power's machine gun bra (essential) a laser pen that can hit the moon and a james bond underwater breathing device (again essential)

* 100% not true

What's the catch?

Gawd don't tell me he sucked in an old cynic like you CMT :D

The ad appeared in thaivisa.com so I figured maybe it could be trusted. I should know better.

Occasionally the information on here is a tad suspect sometimes CMT

Just occasionally. :o

What's the catch?

Do a Google search on 'paid survey scam' and you can read all about the catches.

Most of the feedback is negative, and these sites just seem to be ripoffs. One pays either to be referred somewhere that could've been contacted directly for free anyway, or pays to be 'screened' and rejected as inappropriate for the surveys.

Presumably this 'work-in-thailand' guy will get a commission off anyone who signs up for the various websites he has listed.

Did find a couple of people who found real paying surveys but they seem to pay low- one person mentioned $10 at most, though he did get some free products.

As far as this type of work- one *can* do this type of activity here without a work permit as long as the money is earned overseas, so the site isn't illegal.

Cheers!

As far as this type of work- one *can* do this type of activity here without a work permit as long as the money is earned overseas, so the site isn't illegal.

Not true.

If the work/service is performed in Thailand a work permit is required.

'ok.. so telecommuting and/or running a business overseas while staying in thailand is technically illegal?'

No, practically illegal, if they bother to check.

You'd be running a business from Thailand I'd say. Technically even unpaid volunteers need the appropriate visa and work permit.

So is this, 'Virtual Legality' ?

That was actually a song performed by the 90's singing sensation, Jamiroquai:

Oh yeah what we’re living in (let me tell ya)

It’ a wonder man can eat at all

When things are big

That should be small

Who can tell what magic spells we’ll be doing for us.

And I’m giving all my love to this world

Only to be told

I can’t see, I can’t breathe

No more will we be

And nothing’s gonna change the way we live

Cos’ we can always take and never give

And now that things are changing for the worse,

See, it’s a crazy world we’re living in

And I just can’t see that half of us immersed in sin

Is all we have to give these

Futures made of virtual legality

Now always seem, to be governed by this love we have

For useless, twisting of our new technology

Oh now there’s no sound for we all live underground

And I’m thinking in what a mess we’re in

Hard to know when to begin

If I could slip the sicly ties that earthly man has made

And now every mother can choose the color of her child

That’s not nature’s way

Well that´s what they said yesterday

There’s nothing left to do but pray

I think it’s time I found a new religion

Waoh it’s so insane to synthesize another strain

There’s something in these futures that we have to be told.

Oh now there’s no sound for we all live underground

Now there’s no sound if we all live underground

And now it’s virtual legality

Forget your virtual reality

Oh, there’s nothing so bad, I know yeah

Instrumental break

Oh, this virtual legality, we’re living in,

Has got to change, yeah

Things will never be the same

And I can’t go on

While we’re living in oh, oh virtual legality

Oh, this world has got to change

Cos I just, I just can’t keep going on, it was virtual,

Virtual legality that we’re living in, that we’re living in

That virtual legality is what it is

Oh there’s no sound for we all live underground

Living - virtual legality

Virtual Leagality is what we’re living in

Wise words mate.

Hi my name is Miles Thomas and I recently put up work-in-thailand.com as a marketing vehicle for a relatively new program that apart from what some uninformed people think, actually does work. I came across this thread browsing my web logs or would never have seen it. I currently live and work in Malaysia as I am sure the webmaster of this site can verify from his own logs, so I guess your call to Thai immigration was in vain. You must be really bored.

It is pretty obvious nobody posting in this thread has any clue about the services I am promoting on the site concerning online paid surveys. Also if the systems were not legit you would think they would have been publicly exposed. A quick google search will show how popular demographic targetting via online surveys has become. As an aside, I have and still do make $3000 US/month using the systems I mention on my website - believe it or not.

Concerning doing this while visiting Thailand I mention in the very first paragraph:

'I make reference to Thailand but that is merely because it relates to my situation. '

I also mention:

'I figured it would be hard to get employment, there would be visa issues, and work permits would be expensive and tedious to arrange.'

This second statement clearly implies you would need a work permit to do this in Thailand, or any other country, if you were so inclined.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the info on the website or how it has been cleverly marketed, you have to really laugh to think that anything illegal or grey is happening here. I mean get serious. I am not marketing Thailand, I am marketing online surveys. There is nothing even remotely illegal about marketing something in a targetted and productive way, like I have done. I told a true story on my website, the information is free, if you think it stinks click the little x in the top right corner of your browser. Simple.

Anyways I can understand animosity between foreigners working in Thailand legitimately vs those who don't. I think writing an online article and referencing a country to illustrate a point is clearly what I intended here. Also having spent some time in Thailand I think Thai immigration would be hard pressed to investigate someone touring Thailand, making some money online, and spending all of it in the Kingdom. I think they have more important issues on their plate at the moment (like actual immigration issues).

A coworker friend of mine (Thanks Alan!) used to show me pictures of his trips to Thailand which he managed to do 4-5 times a year         ..... living a lavish lifestyle and was covered in beautiful Thai women     .....   Alan is sporting a new SUV, new condo, new gadgets of every kind, and an amazingly hot Thai girlfriend who I swear just stepped out of Penthouse magazine..... Now hey listen, I?m not stupid so you know I am grilling Alan daily on how he is able to pull this off. The only bone he ever throws me is ?The internet dude! What else??
Forgive us, Miles Thomas, for being somewhat cynical but the above quotes from your website would lead most people on this forum to think that the get-rich-quick scheme you are offering, might lack just a tad of credibility.
I currently live and work in Malaysia

err, not according to your website, which would imply that you do live and work in Thailand...

I moved to live in Thailand 6 months after Alan did and just surpassed him in monthly income

So where is it then, Thailand or Malaysia?

:o