Illegal PET in CONDO, what can condo management do against a CONDO OWNER ?

hello,

Girlfriend is owner of her condo (fully paid).

Her cat was staying with parents but she brought it to her place.

Someone at the condo heard the cat even though he never goes out.

Condo management said that the cat must leave.

Question: what can condo management legally do to condo owner who doesn't respect the stupid pet rule ?

Cut water and electricity ? Force to leave the place ?

Thank you to tell me what you know about this.

You might find that the management have never ratified these rules and submitted them to the land office. In which case the condo Act does not have a ruling on pets and you have every right to keep your pet in your room. Go and check the rules and regulation document at the land office for your condo. 

Edited by stud858
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

If the registered condo rules allow it then a fine can be imposed.

Here is the relevant extract from a condo in Sathorn. The fine is 1,000 baht per day.

Screenshot_20180719-004625_Drive.jpg.c082d807ac21d62898decd772d4702ea.jpg

If you choose to pay the fine and keep the pet, there is little they can do. If you do not pay the fine then your usage of common facilities can be suspended.

Obviously the amount of any fine will vary from one condo to another.

I have no idea what anyone would do if an owner denied having a cat and instead insisted they watch cat videos on YouTube.

Then they could check your waste to find cat litter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure that a Jp can ask for fines to pay other than those overdue stated in condo Act.

I was told by a Jp in one case before a judge that a coowner was told to pay his fees within two years or his condo will be sold by judge,  but that the overdue fine was not enforced.  

Anything can happen in Thailand following or against the law, but I wouldn't be paying unless it was proven there was a direct expense to the condo by my action such as damage was done to curtains by the cat otherwise it's just profiteering by the Jp. But I guess who is toughest wins in the end. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Then they could check your waste to find cat litter.

์Not sure how most condos collect rubbish, but in ours there are bins on every floor that are emptied twice daily. Would be difficult to know whose kitty litter it was.

Our condo prohibits dogs but cats (or monkeys or gerbils or ....) weren't specifically mentioned. During the brief period when I had a cat I took the used kitty litter down a floor or two just to make sure there was no definite connection to me.

We also have signage specifying a fine for smoking in the hallways, feeding birds or feral cats in the parking lot, etc. Can't imagine how any of those would be enforced. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, blackcab said:

If the registered condo rules allow it then a fine can be imposed.

Here is the relevant extract from a condo in Sathorn. The fine is 1,000 baht per day.

Screenshot_20180719-004625_Drive.jpg.c082d807ac21d62898decd772d4702ea.jpg

If you choose to pay the fine and keep the pet, there is little they can do. If you do not pay the fine then your usage of common facilities can be suspended.

Obviously the amount of any fine will vary from one condo to another.

I have no idea what anyone would do if an owner denied having a cat and instead insisted they watch cat videos on YouTube.

Having run 2 management companies for several years, as for keeping pets it depends on the clauses of the lease. If the lease states no pets, then it`s up to the management company to enforce that rule. If not mentioned in the lease then there is nothing the management company can legally do about it, unless the animal becomes a nuisance, such as a dog barking for long periods, attacking people or cats and dogs crapping in the communal areas or the condo in question become a health risk to other residents.

If legally imposing a fine there has to be a time limit for the fine to be paid. If the resident ignores the warnings and fails to pay the fine, the management company can push for an eviction via the courts that can take up to 4 years using the system in Thailand. Cutting off essential services or denying a resident access to common facilities without first getting the approval of a court, could be classified as harassment  and taking the law into their own hands.

Whatever, a condo is not a suitable environment to keep dogs or cats. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, upu2 said:

When you moved into the condo you signed to agree to these terms and now you want to ignore them.

When I bought my condo there was nothing, at least nothing I saw, that I signed agreeing to any rules. I bought my condo from a Thai lady and the condo management had nothing to do with the transaction.

Of course there may be some law or regulation that makes compliance with condo rules mandatory, but that's a different matter.

I should make it clear I agree with the ban on dogs. I would love to have a dog, but the thought of hundreds of people keeping dogs and not caring for them or the common areas properly doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 1

Don't they say cats have so many lives? Balcony jump? ( Sarcasm, I'm an animal friend) 

P{, if you've got an apartment for rent and you don't want to have dogs or cats, wouldn't you be upset when people just ignore the rules? 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

When I bought my condo there was nothing, at least nothing I saw, that I signed agreeing to any rules. I bought my condo from a Thai lady and the condo management had nothing to do with the transaction.

Of course there may be some law or regulation that makes compliance with condo rules mandatory, but that's a different matter.

I should make it clear I agree with the ban on dogs. I would love to have a dog, but the thought of hundreds of people keeping dogs and not caring for them or the common areas properly doesn't bear thinking about.

Sorry, but that`s not possible.

The management company must give consent for exchange of contracts and before contracts can be exchanged, the seller must be up to date with maintenance fees and free from any disputes. I`ve not known anyone who has purchased a condo without first reading the lease and what`s involved in the maintenance fees. Agreeing to the terms of the lease in part of the contract, you must have signed something agreeing to this. If not there has to be something seriously wrong with the deal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Simple solutions:  1st committee complaint,  2nd JPM complaint  3rd, agenda item at committee meeting/AGM

Owners cannot pick and choose rules which include health & safety, payment of common fees,  renovations, usage of A BnB etc. etc.

• Confused 1