Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

I only highlighted this sentence because it was included in the next post after mine and when I re-looked at my post, I realise that the "too expensive" to go back home scenario came through strongly, probably more strongly than I intended!

Sure things are more expensive by comparison to what they were but that's only to be expected and what I was meaning to convey, and didn't, was that I have everything I want here and enough money to last me until I'm well over a hundred, and I can indulge myself, probably far too much!

Furthermore and this is a key for me, I find this place has a certain vibrancy which helps "keep me young" as well as being full of younger people, many young ladies, all of whom will stop and speak or give you a smile, which is rare in Western countries IMO. So although I am on my own, I never really feel like that, and of course I have made friends here.

Sure, as others have said, if one has cut all ties from the home country and doesn't own property there, then going back to live after some time away is going to be very difficult indeed, financially.

When I left NZ I sold everything, knowing full well that this place would be my home for the rest of my life, or if I fell out with it (or vice versa) then somewhere else would suffice, but I harbour no desire to move back home, because this is now my home with all the good things that I enjoy about it, as well as moaning about the idiots on the road and the Chinese, but that's life as they say!

I wonder if others long for a return to their home countries or just think that it would be nice to be back there for a while?? So many times I have spoken to expats here who have returned home only to find that the grass wasn't greener, even the second time around!

all of whom will stop and speak or give you a smile, which is rare in Western countries

Most western countries don't condone 60 and 70 year old men with teenagers and young 20's.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Poottrong said:

I never understood the argument that things are getting more expensive here. Anyone checked into the West lately? Money just goes way further here although I stick to local tucker and lead a simple life - by choice.

Yes,  "grass is greener" is something that needs serious thought and shouldn't be glossed over when considering going back. 

Interesting how a steak at Western Sizzler in Thailand is more expensive than the US.

Of course if you want eat dog meat and call it steak, that is well within your perogative

2 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

It depends entirely on how you live, but just going to the supermarket is a lot cheaper in the West.  Just go to Aldi, Lidl, or buy private label products and you won't believe how cheap it is.  Many of my basic staples like yoghurt, cheese, vegetables, frozen foods, condiments, wine, etc. aren't even half the price in Europe or the US.  Food courts and street food are cheap here, but eating that 2-3 times a day would get old fast.  Nowadays I prefer to eat at home.   Rent for a decent condo in Bangkok on Sukhumvit or elsewhere downtown is quickly 35,000 a month and up.  That won't even get you something very fancy (those are more like 70,000), just a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in decent condition like you'd find back home.  For that money you can find a nice apartment in many nice cities in Europe too.  International schools, cars, brand-name clothing, appliances,... no comparison, this country is very, very expensive for those things.  

Don't want to sound like I'm moaning about the cost of living here, which overall works out about medium, but I think it gets too much credit for being cheap when it's not.  

Not comparing apples to apples is useless.

The quality you get is no where near the comparison in the west

No matter where you are in the world, you get what you pay for.

Edited by bwpage3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

One of them is in international school the other in the local catholic school. I'm not convinced either one is worse than what I hear and observe about schools in the West these days

You are not convinced? What facts do you have? Here is a fact. The company I work for employees 200,000 worldwide. Take a wild guess how many are from Thailand?

After having my kid at Prem International in Chiang Mai for years, came back to the USA and he was a year behind. Don't have to think, that is reality.

Apples to apples. You can live in Thailand cheap because everything you have is cheap. Price out a comparable western house you see for 6,000,000 baht plus here on TV. No where near the quality of the USA and not cheap either.

Honda's and Toyota's more expensive in Thailand unless you buy the cheap ass lowest end

Western food in Tesco? That is no bargain either

Compare apples to apples. Cheap is cheap no matter what.

As for savings, my company gives me an additional 65% of my 401k contribution each year.

If you have a couple hundred grand (US)  a year income, good on you. If not, living cheap like a Thai will get your there same as living in a tent in Yellowstone.

Apples to Apples. 

PS Thailand has sure changed a lot since I was there in 1985. Cannot even recognize the place through all the corruption, coups, materialism, wanna-be's

I have never been to the US but I have heard it has a cheap cost of living. Perhaps it can be considered an outlier among Western countries when having these kind of discussions.  Here's a comparison to Australia:

Rent - I pay less in a month than what I would pay in a week in Aus. Granted it's a smaller, cheaply made house but I'd happily live in the same back home if they were available. On top of that I can walk to the beach here. Renting or buying a house near the beach in Aus is only for the well off these days.

Utilities - way cheaper in Thailand

Fresh fruit, veg and meat - way cheaper in Thailand except for beef and lamb. I eat home cooked Thai food daily and doing the same in Aus costs a small fortune, which is what I would want to do.

Internet - way cheaper and faster in Thailand

Imported electronics and other imports - cheaper in Aus

Cars - cheaper in Australia although a "cheap ass toyota" is fine with me.

Petrol - about the same price I think?

Public transport / taxis - way cheaper in Thailand

So all in all Thailand is WAY cheaper for me than Australia. Not even close.

As for schooling, sounds like you have nice schools where you are in the US.  I'm definitely not thrilled with the schools here either but your original comment was "zero education" here.  The "reality" is that Australian test scores are dropping every year, incompatible migrants are going up, drug problems abound and the education system is riddled with leftist mumbo jumbo and silly educational fads. That said it may still be better than what we're getting here but it's by no means a slam dunk.

Yes Thailand has changed over the decades. I've been here for 20 years and personally I haven't noticed the corruption getting better or worse. For exapmple my local immigration office is infinitely better than the corrupt riddled shithole it used to be. Some changes in Thailand have been bad for sure, others have been better though too. I'm not sure my home country is a better place than it was 20 years ago either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

all of whom will stop and speak or give you a smile, which is rare in Western countries

Most western countries don't condone 60 and 70 year old men with teenagers and young 20's.

Nothing whatsoever to do with what I wrote.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

<snip>

I thoroughly enjoyed learning Japanese culture, learning to speak Japanese fluently <snip2>

No problem living in Thailand and not learning Thai language -- as one of our esteemed members here noted, you can always point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

What I was talking about, was ‘if’ you want to eat western food (not always), have good AC in your house, decent housing, then the cost of living isn’t that much different.

That may be true for the US (I wouldn't know) but not for the rest of the developed world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think you are being a bit selective on what you are quoting from me. 

I was talking about the cost of living here. I speak Thai, and Lao actually, and totally understand the culture around me.

What I was talking about, was ‘if’ you want to eat western food (not always), have good AC in your house, decent housing, then the cost of living isn’t that much different.

You can enjoy the culture, but may not want to live life in an Isaan tin shack. That may float your boat, but I would suggest that a good percentage of retirees didn’t work and save to live like a pauper.

I would suggest that a good percentage of retirees didn’t work and save to live like a pauper.

I think you right on target there. I find it odd people will sell up their western lifestyle, move to Thailand and live in a one room flat or tin shack in Isaan because that is all they can afford, then jump and down trying to convince everyone how cheap it is.

It can be cheap if that is ALL you can afford however I seriously doubt anyone grew up with a dream of retiring in Thailand to eat street food and live in a shack the rest of their lives, not understanding the language or anything else.

I also believe as one gets older, you think "hey, I have worked my whole life and I deserve some comfort in my old age" and that comfort may come in the form of only what your savings/retirement affords you.

If that means living in a shack till you die and you are happy, good for you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I think you right on target there. I find it odd people will sell up their western lifestyle, move to Thailand and live in a one room flat or tin shack in Isaan because that is all they can afford, then jump and down trying to convince everyone how cheap it is.

I would say only a tiny percentage of farangs who live here do that. Exceptions don't make the rule.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My current house in Thailand (5 years back) cost $40,000 3 bed modern house, 10Km from the city centre of Thailands 2nd largest tourist city.

My last house in the UK (20 years back) cost $400,000 4 bed modern house, 20Km from the city centre of one of the UKs largest tourist cities.

I'm definitely comparing like with like, council tax in the UK $2000pa, mooban fees in Thailand $130pa.

Here they collect the trash every week, in the UK it was every 2 weeks (and I had to sort it myself).

How much would your UK house be worth today?

33 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

No problem living in Thailand and not learning Thai language -- as one of our esteemed members here noted, you can always point.

Hahaha... yes, some people can just point. But that would never work for me.

I well recall 20 yrs ago, my first day teaching in a large university. Having had no

breakfast, I was starved when I finally went to the university cafeteria for lunch.

But then I discovered that if I don't speak Thai, I can't eat -- bcoz I don't eat pork.

Went to HR and ask the nice English speaking lady how to say, "I don't want any

pork." It was the very first phrase I learned. "Mai ao moo." Saved my life.

Soon after that I enrolled in Thai language class. Having worked as a linguist my

entire career, I enjoyed that class immensely. I found  many affinities between

Chinese and Thai. Good fun.

2 minutes ago, Poottrong said:

I would say only a tiny percentage of farangs who live here do that. Exceptions don't make the rule.

What do you think the percentage of expats that moved to Thailand live in a Thai house that cost/worth/quality/size the same as one they moved from?

• Like 1

A company I helped start when I was in my early 20's was years later sold and I got enough out of to finance the rest of my life. What got to me in USA was people asking: How come you aren't at work today? What do you live on? and more totally intrusive questions.

Here in Thailand I definitely live down scale from what I can afford but nobody bothers me. I speak Thai well enough (after learning Chinese not such a big deal) to deal with Thais who don't speak English and those are the ones with whom I prefer to associate. 

I have enough ongoing endeavors including NGO activity in USA and international so life is not dull. I am a legal resident of Florida and though I enjoy visiting most every year I have no plans barring some medical necessity to live there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

How much would your UK house be worth today?

The smaller 3 bed house (next door to my old house in the UK) sold for $620,000 last year (according to rightmove)

Wasn't even very special, window frames were all softwood and rotting when I left.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The smaller 3 bed house (next door to my old house in the UK) sold for $620,000 last year (according to rightmove)

Wasn't even very special, window frames were all softwood and rotting when I left.

Very good appreciation to offset the costs.

6 minutes ago, manjara said:

yeah, the UK's a shithole, innit! ?

I lived in Thailand for 8 years, then left and took the family with me for 4 years, until, 3 years ago the wife went back to Thailand with the kids. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to go back! I go there on holiday about 9 times a year and I can't usually get through 10 days without getting pissed off at all the new regulations and the low quality of things over there.

My brother recently returned to the UK after 20 years in China and is loving it, so I'm considering going back to the UK and taking the kids with me (I'm currently in the middle east).

If I don't go there, then there are other options I've looked at in South America and Africa, which might give me what I'm looking for. 

The major reasons for not staying are the lack of reasonably priced wine, cheese and the general amateurish, childish attitudes in almost everything. AS someone has said earlier, if you want to live like a thai, then you can be fine, but if you want western things and quality clothes/building/car/food/music etc, etc, then just forget it!   As someone also said, the Thai quality of life (according to thais) has also gone down, and even though there are more rich people, the life of the average thai seems worse, after all the cost increases and restrictions on being able to make a living! A lot of my western friends fly to Bangkok, then immediately go to Cambodia, Myanmar or Vietnam, sometimes without any time in Thailand at all. The official figures on tourism don't seem to reflect the picture on the ground....

As my kids are half thai, I'll always have a connection to Thailand, but to live there???  hmmmm, not sure about that!

Since moving back to Florida USA 4 years ago, my life is much more relaxed and stress free not having to deal with all the nuances of living in Thailand. I have yet to have one of my truck side mirrors broken off by a motorbike weaving in and out of traffic! Wife has all the conveniences of buying Thai food, Thai friends, etc. and doesn't miss Thailand one bit. All good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, manjara said:

yeah, the UK's a shithole, innit! ?

I lived in Thailand for 8 years, then left and took the family with me for 4 years, until, 3 years ago the wife went back to Thailand with the kids. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to go back! I go there on holiday about 9 times a year and I can't usually get through 10 days without getting pissed off at all the new regulations and the low quality of things over there.

My brother recently returned to the UK after 20 years in China and is loving it, so I'm considering going back to the UK and taking the kids with me (I'm currently in the middle east).

If I don't go there, then there are other options I've looked at in South America and Africa, which might give me what I'm looking for. 

The major reasons for not staying are the lack of reasonably priced wine, cheese and the general amateurish, childish attitudes in almost everything. AS someone has said earlier, if you want to live like a thai, then you can be fine, but if you want western things and quality clothes/building/car/food/music etc, etc, then just forget it!   As someone also said, the Thai quality of life (according to thais) has also gone down, and even though there are more rich people, the life of the average thai seems worse, after all the cost increases and restrictions on being able to make a living! A lot of my western friends fly to Bangkok, then immediately go to Cambodia, Myanmar or Vietnam, sometimes without any time in Thailand at all. The official figures on tourism don't seem to reflect the picture on the ground....

As my kids are half thai, I'll always have a connection to Thailand, but to live there???  hmmmm, not sure about that!

Amazing post...Which I wish I hadn't read...?..