Auspicious holidays brings two-day alcohol ban

rooster59

46 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

I think "Auspicious" is the wrong word for this holiday and a brainwashing description...the word "religious" would be more appropriate in many ways. Then again...can't help the conditioned masses and  lost causes when it comes to silly stuff like this.

I'll drink to that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, upena said:

No such thing as Buddhist Lent

Thai Khow Pensar or the Buddhist lent lasts for about 3 months or 3 phases of the moon, and if you belive this, a lot of Thai's will give up alcohol for 3 months, and a farang has done it for the past 5 years.

Also, it is when the King changes the robe on the Malar-Got, the Emerald Buddha, as it is recognized as the start of the rainy season, so very Auspicious all round.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Argh, we have such a wonderful language. Let's try again.

I will consume as I do on most days, with my lady, in front of the telly.

EDIT I class this as "on-topic" as word games could be on the cards for those who failed to stock up. Just be happy we're not in India (specifically Bengaluru) where the hotels actually empty the mini-bars on no-alcohol days.

Wow!  Yet another reason I never want to go to India.  So many things to see there and yet so many reasons that it is all too much trouble.

7 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Do you have any specific group in mind,- the drug and potion dealers, sellers of lottery numbers, rapists, child molester, fraudster with unusual wealth, mercedes, rifle and gun collectors, or just the low life criminals hiding in temples as part time monks due to ongoing investigations? 

Good question! Same with all the other silly "stupid-stitions" ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

There's no ban on drinking, just buying. I will consume as I do on most days, with my lady in front of the telly.

little ma/pa shops owned by devout Buddhists sell regardless.

Edited by tandor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Wow!  Yet another reason I never want to go to India.  So many things to see there and yet so many reasons that it is all too much trouble.

Forget the overpriced minibar. It's liquor shops and permit rooms.... 

55 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Forget the overpriced minibar. It's liquor shops and permit rooms.... 

Was it Pakistan where at one time you had to swear and sign that you were an alcoholic in front of a doctor/police? and you were then issued a permit to buy alcohol?

Or is that an old pipeliners story ?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Was it Pakistan where at one time you had to swear and sign that you were an alcoholic in front of a doctor/police? and you were then issued a permit to buy alcohol?

Or is that an old pipeliners story ?

Looking on the up-side: Perhaps there's a western country somewhere that if you swore the same, then the state might issue the alcohol free?

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Looking on the up-side: Perhaps there's a western country somewhere that if you swore the same, then the state might issue the alcohol free?

I did actually see a programme on uk tv where, I think it may have been Netherlands, introduced a system where the local alkies could spend time each day doing some street sweeping/cleaning and were paid with cans of beer and a bath and bed for the night.

Not sure how successful it was or if it's still in place.

Edit.

Pilot scheme was in Canada and was adopted by Holland.

A few cans a day somewhere to sleep some rolling tobacco and 10 Euros for each day worked.

alt-jp-drunks1-master675.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I did actually see a programme on uk tv where, I think it may have been Netherlands, introduced a system where the local alkies could spend time each day doing some street sweeping/cleaning and were paid with cans of beer and a bath and bed for the night.

Edit.

A few cans a day somewhere to sleep some rolling tobacco and 10 Euros for each day worked.

alt-jp-drunks1-master675.jpg

Seems there is bit of competition regarding areas for this work depending on which brewery is in which area.

I mean you don't really want your free beer to be not your favourite beer, do you?

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Edit.

Was the pilot scheme was perhaps this one?

image.png.e6b05b5b34523816a3b5d9d728b16b12.png

3 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:
15 hours ago, grollies said:

Reminds me of: 

Two nuns in a bath.

One says 'where's the soap'

The other replies: 'Yes it does, doesn't it'.

I don't get it...

It's a play on the word 'where's':   'where's' or 'wears'

Does that help?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

There's no ban on drinking, just buying. I will consume as I do on most days, with my lady in front of the telly.

...enjoying the Richmond v. Geelong game live from the MCG!  ?

20 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Ready for a little giggle? In Europe 'little people' started a campaign to ban the term "mini bar" as they consider it as discriminating.

Thanks for that Lupatria , never gave it a thought before. In 1974 I worked at the Narracott Grand in Woolacombe North Devon .  Not only was I a Super bar man but I wotked in the Long bar.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

Thai Khow Pensar or the Buddhist lent lasts for about 3 months or 3 phases of the moon, and if you belive this, a lot of Thai's will give up alcohol for 3 months, and a farang has done it for the past 5 years.

Also, it is when the King changes the robe on the Malar-Got, the Emerald Buddha, as it is recognized as the start of the rainy season, so very Auspicious all round.

well there s "fancy for you " as they say in the valleys

I will tell the wife although she is not one of the Thais that will give up booze, and certainly has no interest in the changing of clothes in BKK .. although according to her whatever day "khowpansar" is (she doesn't know and is no real concern as we live in a village where the illicit product can be bought daily) if it rains on that day its going to be wet for 3 months, as an avid gardener thats of much more interest to her

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

I will tell the wife although she is not one of the Thais that will give up booze, and certainly has no interest in the changing of clothes in BKK .. although according to her whatever day "khowpansar" is (she doesn't know and is no real concern as we live in a village where the illicit product can be bought daily) if it rains on that day its going to be wet for 3 months, as an avid gardener thats of much more interest to her

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

Do ordinary Thais even celebrate this? 

Yes, my misses normally only to the temple 3-4 times a year, and this is one of them, and the temple is normally full, and we live in a rural area, a nd with lots of other temples in the area .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Yes, my misses normally only to the temple 3-4 times a year, and this is one of them, and the temple is normally full, and we live in a rural area, a nd with lots of other temples in the area .

Same, next weekend at the local Wat, music, dancing girls, food, whiskey & soda, should be a good do. Celebrations starting with the lighting of the candles.

4 hours ago, poohy said:

It's a massive festival in some citie

With gigantic wax floats are paraded around the city. Here is a video of on such float being made.