Pattaya taxi drivers set to recommend 100 baht flag fall - three times more than Bangkok

webfact

Pattaya taxi drivers set to recommend 100 baht flag fall - three times more than Bangkok

10pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

Pattaya taxi drivers are set to start using their meters.

But only if they are allowed to increase the flag fall for rides to 100 baht.

All the operators met on Monday to decide that 100 baht is appropriate for the first two kilometers. Thereafter they will charge 20 baht per kilometer.

They say this is fair and a way through the impasse that has seen them constantly criticized for not turning on the meter and ripping off tourists on fares.

The matter came to a head at a meeting last Thursday, reported Pattaya News.

Now the operators will present their "100 baht and we will turn on the meter plan" at a Thursday meeting this week.

The flag fall in Bangkok is still 35 baht and has been for many years. The fare per kilometer is also a fraction of what is being demanded in Pattaya. 

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-24
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

How very jolly decent of them ..

2 hours ago, webfact said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horace said:

If the supply of taxi exceeds demand, you would expect the charges to be lower.  They aren't lower in Pattaya because the Thai criminals (presumably with implicit support of officials) tells drivers to charge more and punishes those who don't in various ways, such as damaging their cars, beating the drivers, etc.  Basically the lack of sensible regulation is funding Pattaya gangsters.

Bangkok was like this before meters were required.  I personally think 35 Baht is too low.  I think the flag in BOTH Pattaya and Bangkok should be 50 Baht.   That would undercut the gangsters in Pattaya and reduce the problem of taxis rejecting customers in Bangkok.  It is also fair since there is no reason - based on costs - why taxi fares should be different between Pattaya and Bangkok. 

The only reason they are higher in Pattaya is because of gangsters, and Pattaya needs to address it various mafias straight on.

Look at it this way. In 1998 the taxi flag-fall was 35 Baht, a packet of Marlboro cigarettes was 33 Baht. Today the taxi is still 35 Baht, a packet of Marlboro is around 180 Baht. I think the flagfall should be raised to 50-60 Baht. I always used to give 60 Baht for my regular 47 Baht, 2 km taxi ride in recognition of this. I used to use a taxi just about every day, I don't want to get into arguments with drivers every time I try to do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

Again these thug drivers calling the shots...bring in competition and let the chips fall where they will...

There is good competition already - I always use Grab Taxi, a great service  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Another point. Yes the fake Pattaya taxi meters are mostly seen as money extractors of foreign tourists, if the fare structure was closer to Bangkoks then many more Thai locals would use them as well and less need for many local people to own private vehicles. But the powers that be here lack that vision which is putting it too politely.

Of course the drivers would actually have to drive a lot more. Can't have that!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

All the operators met on Monday to decide that 100 baht is appropriate for the first two kilometers. Thereafter they will charge 20 baht per kilometer.

So right now, if I want a taxi ride to the dark side, no meter, it's a straight 300 baht.

Now, with their new meter policy, it will be... 300 baht.

What's the problem?