Pattaya taxi drivers set to recommend 100 baht flag fall - three times more than Bangkok

webfact

4 hours ago, Horace said:

If the supply of taxi exceeds demand, you would expect the charges to be lower.  They aren't lower in Pattaya because the Thai criminals (presumably with implicit support of officials) tells drivers to charge more and punishes those who don't in various ways, such as damaging their cars, beating the drivers, etc.  Basically the lack of sensible regulation is funding Pattaya gangsters.

Bangkok was like this before meters were required.  I personally think 35 Baht is too low.  I think the flag in BOTH Pattaya and Bangkok should be 50 Baht.   That would undercut the gangsters in Pattaya and reduce the problem of taxis rejecting customers in Bangkok.  It is also fair since there is no reason - based on costs - why taxi fares should be different between Pattaya and Bangkok. 

The only reason they are higher in Pattaya is because of gangsters, and Pattaya needs to address it various mafias straight on.

The taxis are making good money compared to other Thais working in Bangkok. I have asked several and they say that driving a taxi today is not as good as it used to be as they only make 20-30K a month compared to 40-50k in the past, and that is after deductions for renting a taxi, gas, and everything else... That's in a city where the minimum wage is 350Baht a day and uneducated office workers most of the time are lucky if they can make 10-15k a month!
And for the fuel cost, a taxi driver pay about 1 Baht per/km... regulated price on the LPG for taxis!!!

1 hour ago, Nice Boyd said:

Don’t feed the Mafia

So lets be clear here. You consider 140 baht for 4 kms in an air con taxi as "mafia rates"  ??

Well I dont. As before this is NOT Bangkok where the average user may earn 10,000-15,000 a month as opposed to the vast majority who will likely use them in pattaya on 100,000-150,000 a month.

Some really do need to wake up here this is not 1990 anymore times have moved on.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

As before this is NOT Bangkok where the average user may earn 10,000-15,000 a month as opposed to the vast majority who will likely use them in pattaya on 100,000-150,000 a month.

Where the hell did you get those figures?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I would be OK with a compromise between the Bangkok rates and here.

If that outrageous demand is an opening gambit, OK. But if it's that OK or forget about it, forget about it. What's the per km. rate in Bangkok now? Also if a compromise rate is agreed too, they also need to agree to aggressive enforcement with SEVERE consequences for not using meters going forward.

Not saying I'm optimistic that a reasonable plan will be agreed to and enforced. That would be extremely naive! It's theoretically possible of course. It was done in Bangkok. But this ain't Bangkok. 

Comments like your's leave me speechless. Do you think the cost of living for a Thai is higher in Pattaya than Bangkok?

Edited by MartinBangkok
Spelling

38 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

Comments like your's leave me speechless. Do you think the cost of living for a Thai is higher in Pattaya than Bangkok?

No. I'm realistic thought. The fake taxi meter drivers are probably never going to agree to a meter scheme but IF they ever do, they will also never accept the same rates as Bangkok.

Your move, dude. 

• Confused 1

If I want to to go from Central Pattaya to Jomtien bus station, that would still cost me 100 + 150 = around 250 or 300. Basically same fare and then Grab probably will be cheaper.    

With Uber it would have been 150 baht . But they are gone thanks to the mafia. 

Edited by balo

12 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

how about this:

Pattaya taxi drivers can go ... hug themselves.

Perhaps we could get this book translated to Thai and distribute them to the taxi drivers.  As it contains 64 blank pages, it wouldn't cost much.  (I bought a bunch of these for 15 Baht each recently.)

extract head from butt 1.jpg

extract head from butt 2.jpg

extract head.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Where the hell did you get those figures?

He makes them up. He makes a lot of things up and then runs away from the thread or utter some abuse before running away.

Rest assured, he has no basis for his claim.

Strange premise anyway. Make up some figures and then state that the people who earn those figures need to pay more for taxis.

No one should use them at all until they stop their cheating ways.

On the other hand, I can understand the flagfall needing to be higher if people take shorter trips in Pattaya.

But silliness suggesting that someone should pay more because they earn more needs to go straight into the bin.

Perhaps we should have people issued with a card stating their wages, so that shops, taxis etc can decided on which tier they are, for the purpose of deciding how much to charge..

18 hours ago, Horace said:

The only reason they are higher in Pattaya is because of gangsters, and Pattaya needs to address it various mafias straight on.

Well said.  Pattaya businesses are all governed by powerful forces who condone such lawbreaking with no interference from those who are supposed to enforce the law.

I don't understand who is in charge in this SIN CITY? 

On what ground can the taxi drivers determine the fares and meter Base fare? Comparing with the Capital no one should be allowed to cheat or operate without adhering to land transport rules and country laws.?

• Like 1

just proves it, taxi mafia, it is against the law not to have a meter running, they just shot themselves in the foot by openly admitting it, they want 300 baht to go from Pattaya to Jomtien, (seems the only figure they know,) when i can get here by baht bus for 10 baht, i have even gone to the bus station  as a private customer on a baht bus with big case for 100, 

22 hours ago, mok199 said:

Again these thug drivers calling the shots...bring in competition and let the chips fall where they will...

How does one compete with a taxi? 

And please do not promote Uber or Lyft, because those services have some serious costs, specifically their failure to have any form of  supervision, i.e. as in it is worse than the taxis.

The uber/lyft systems are not any cheaper as they impose minimum costs too for short rides, and they are not always available.

100 baht isn't unreasonable in a congested city like Pattaya and with the difficult customer base (rude, drunk, abusive, dirty etc. that is typical of a low party destination)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

just proves it, taxi mafia, it is against the law not to have a meter running, they just shot themselves in the foot by openly admitting it, they want 300 baht to go from Pattaya to Jomtien, (seems the only figure they know,) when i can get here by baht bus for 10 baht, i have even gone to the bus station  as a private customer on a baht bus with big case for 100, 

Keep taking the baht bus then. It is perfect for you as you are happy. 

Yes, I consider 300 baht  expensive, but guess what, that's what they charge and unless you start your own taxi service that's what you will pay.

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Perhaps we should have people issued with a card stating their wages, so that shops, taxis etc can decided on which tier they are, for the purpose of deciding how much to charge..

No need for that. Farang/white skin - double price......

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Yes, I consider 300 baht  expensive, but guess what, that's what they charge and unless you start your own taxi service that's what you will pay.

You're missing the point ,. Do you ever see any local Thais  take the Pattaya taxis ?   I don't unless they are with a farang who's paying.  

Still they drive around with "meter taxis" and act like they are the same as in Bangkok. The locals knows better . 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Aside from their outrageous flagfall demand, compare their 20 baht per km. demand to Bangkok rates.:post-4641-1156693976:

http://bangkokhasyou.com/the-new-thai-taxi-meter-fares-are-here/

What is it you and others are unable to grasp here.....??

We are in Pattaya not Bangkok. Forget rates elsewhere totally irrelevant

What is it you and others are unable to grasp here.....??

We are in Pattaya not Bangkok. Forget rates elsewhere totally irrelevant

No they're not. The news stories cite Bangkok fares as a way of comparison. Pattaya is very popular with Bangkok people. It's sometimes referred to as Bangkok by the sea. Bangkok is in Thailand not very far from Pattaya and the population center of the nation. Pattaya is the most popular urban beach resort city in Asia. It is also like Bangkok a major city in Thailand. If you said don't compare to Singapore or Hong Kong I would totally agree. But Bangkok is exactly the right place to compare to on rates. Bangkok has a very successful and very price competitive taxi meter system. Pattaya's fake taxi meters are a total joke. Yes to serve the public and get the drivers driving most of the time Bangkok is the totally obvious roll model.

No not saying Pattaya is realistically going to be at parity with Bangkok fares.

How about double for flagfall and km. rates rather than multiples of 3 to 5?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

So that’s 100B for the first 2km then 20B per kilometre , so Pattaya to Bkk is 130Km > so 128 Km x 20 = 2560.00B + 100B Total 2660B. Also that is not including tolls. A Bkk taxi will take you back for 900 to a 1000 because there empty anyway and a black taxi will charge around 1300B Case solved , don’t use the thieving bastars and tell all you friends also.

The other problem is that motorcycle taxi are quite extortionate already, short ride starts at 50-60 already, if the 'metered' taxi cars view themselves against the motorcyc, 100 baht flagfall sounds reasonable

And the motorcycle fare was set when the Junta first came into power when they came and 'sort out' the motorcycle taxi mafia

3-4Km ride say Klang to North bus terminal is now 60-80baht whereas such ride in Bangkok should be 30-40 baht only

Ok they can argue that there is less customers compared to Bangkok, hence the need to charge more, but perhaps if they charge less there would be local Thai customers who would use them more.