retirement visa extension - bank and visa office not in same region

I kept an 800k deposit at my chiangmai bank and got their requisite letter for the annual extension.  I've now moved to a location covered by the Korat immigration office.  I tried to open a bank account locally but was refused because I had neither a work permit nor a Thai wife.  Go to my bank branch in Chiangmai to get the letter and hurrying back to Korat immigration - albeit just once a year - is hardly an attractive option.  

Wondering how someone else in similar move handled the matter.  

I agree with Jo.  I maintain a bank account in Chiang Mai, but live and report to the immigration office in Lamphun.  I go the the Lamphun branch of that bank to obtain a letter regarding my account and to update my passbook. I've had no problems.

However, considering that having 800K in a Thai bank is an option for obtaining an extension based on retirement, it seems odd that whatever bank you approached refuses to open an account.  They should open an account based on you having a Non-O Visa and needing to deposit 800K to satisfy Immigrations requirements in order to obtain a retirement extension.  You may want to change banks.  Ask other retired expats on the TV Korat Forum which banks they use.

• Like 1

Shouldn't need to open a "new" account. If you are dealing with the same bank, they should be able (and happy) to transfer the account to their branch.

That's how Bangkok Bank did it for me. I had an account in a main office but moved (not too far, but far enough that there was a small branch office nearby). Went to the branch office to do some transaction and they suggested moving my accounts to their branch. I agreed and it was 10 minutes or so (and a bunch of papers) and everything was done.

Most branches want your money in their branch as it looks better on their "books" (and for the people that manage the accounts). I've had tellers move to another branch, much further away, and try to get me to move my accounts there because it would make them look better (as in they could pretend they've attracted new accounts with lots of money).

Also - make sure you specify that you want a SAVINGS account, not a chequing account ! I think a lot of people make that mistake (or ask specifically for it) and get turned down because they don't have a work permit. Same for credit cards. (I'm guessing the banks have had a lot of problems in the past with people opening chequing accounts and writing lots of bad cheques then simply flying home (or moving somewhere else). Hence the requirement for showing a work permit (as there's a better chance you are actually employed and not just trying to scam them). 

Could be other reasons though.

I keep my 800k in a Fixed Term account. Bangkok Bank finally got smart and made up a option for a Fixed Term that lasts for a whole year (instead of 7 or 11 months like they used to do) and it auto-renews so you don't have to go to the bank every year (with your passport) to open an new "Fixed Term" account and transfer the same money from the old "Fixed Term" account to the new one. (I have been telling the people at my branch to do something like that for years as it is totally stupid to have to keep opening new accounts 1-2 (or more) times year every time a "term" expires. Not too mention the pile of paperwork that needs to be done each time as well.
Now if they could just get their computers to "auto-entry" a person's name and address on the assorted forms you have to do all the time, it would make things a lot more efficient. They have the information in the system - but have to enter it manually onto pretty much every form they do.

Also - if the bank you dealing with is being a pain, go to a different bank. Tell them you want to open one (or more) SAVINGS accounts and transfer money from (your old bank). You'll need your passport and proof of address (usually).

(If you have internet banking with your current bank and the money is in a regular savings account, you could probably do the transfer your self.)

Just managed this for an initial extension based on marriage to a Thai. Was pleasantly surprised when the local branch of my bank had no problems issuing the letter...100 baht fee. Slightly surprised when the immigration office subsequently requested a bank issued account statement even though I presented the recently updated passbook and letter. Back to the local branch, no problems...another 100 baht please.

It is silly that a requirement of the retirement visa is to have a bank account but most branches think you need a work permit.  Either get that branch to talk to the main office or try another branch nearby.

OP what does it matter your bank being in a different region?

Go to any branch of your bank, they will do the letter for immigration.

I have an account in Mae Hong Son, yet get my letter each year in Khonkaen, never a problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Just managed this for an initial extension based on marriage to a Thai. Was pleasantly surprised when the local branch of my bank had no problems issuing the letter...100 baht fee. Slightly surprised when the immigration office subsequently requested a bank issued account statement even though I presented the recently updated passbook and letter. Back to the local branch, no problems...another 100 baht please.

If your pass-book shows consolidated transactions over the previous 3 months before applying for your extension, and the closing total less the total withdrawals is less than 800k then they ask for a detailed statement. (or 400k if marriage ext)

eg.. If you have a closing balance of say 1MM, and total withdrawals in the past month of 300k, and total deposits of say 200k, then depending on the timing of the deposits you could have dropped below the 800k at some point.... so they want to see the detailed 3months transactions.

But if you have a closing of 1.1MM with total withdrawals of 290k, then irrespective of any additions, you could never have dropped below 800k, and they would be happy with just a copy of your passbook (in addition to the letter).

Alternatively, if you keep your passbook up-to date with detailed records over the last 3 months they won't (shouldn't) required a separate statement.

At least this has been my experience over the years.....

I deal with the Bangkok Bank and my Deposit is also in a different location than the Immigration Office. Just go to the nearest Bank Branch with your Bank Book and they will type out any letter you need. I do that every year.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for those helpful answers and suggestions.  So

1) I will confirm with the local branch now that they'll issue the letter when I need it, next January.

2) I will return to the local branches of my (Chiangmai accounts) banks, SCB, KBK, TMB and emphasize  that I want a savings, not a current,

account I want and to check with head office if necessary.  (Presumably I will get an atm card for the savings account - just as i have for the Chiangmai a/c s).

3) Once I have a local account I can make the transfer myself online.  

Edited by triffid

On 7/26/2018 at 1:37 PM, The Theory said:

Proof of address from immigration office will be needed + your passport that shows non-o extension. 

What will the immigration office need from me for the letter  (paperwork, money)?

On 7/26/2018 at 8:03 AM, connda said:

I agree with Jo.  I maintain a bank account in Chiang Mai, but live and report to the immigration office in Lamphun.  I go the the Lamphun branch of that bank to obtain a letter regarding my account and to update my passbook. I've had no problems.

However, considering that having 800K in a Thai bank is an option for obtaining an extension based on retirement, it seems odd that whatever bank you approached refuses to open an account.  They should open an account based on you having a Non-O Visa and needing to deposit 800K to satisfy Immigrations requirements in order to obtain a retirement extension.  You may want to change banks.  Ask other retired expats on the TV Korat Forum which banks they use.

When I return to them I shall spell out those points - the non-o visa and the 800k deposit requirement.

6 hours ago, triffid said:

What will the immigration office need from me for the letter  (paperwork, money)?

If you have already reported your new address, B200 fee for proof of address (the fee could be slightly different depends on the Imm Off).

Passport copies. 

21 hours ago, The Theory said:

If you have already reported your new address, B200 fee for proof of address (the fee could be slightly different depends on the Imm Off).

Passport copies. 

I have already reported the new address.  So I won't need to produce rental etc papers as proof?  Just passport and fee?  I'll assume that's what you said - unless you correct me.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, triffid said:

I have already reported the new address.  So I won't need to produce rental etc papers as proof?  Just passport and fee?  I'll assume that's what you said - unless you correct me.

Thanks.

In Bangkok 90 day report had to be done (after moving to new address) before applying for proof of address.

You need to check with your local IO.