Region Transfer..

LivinLOS

I had mentioned I was looking at some cars in BKK and provinces other than my own (Phuket)..

I have found a car I like the look and price of.. Haggled out 90% of the deal with the owner and am now at the stage of booking a plane ticket to head to Chiang Mai to look at it. Of course its vital to get this right one time only as I dont want to drive the CM to phuket round trip a second time because theres a missing stamp on form 36c !!

I previously had posted this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=98854&st=0

And also read this one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100411

Both threads indicated I should buy the car.. Put it in my name at the point of sale (CM) and then I have 30 days in which to reregister it in Phuket..

To make sure I had all bases covered I went today to immigration to get my 'proof of residence / Proof of address' paper (why is this required when I already have a Thai driving licence based at this address ?? All I did was show my thai licence to obtain it so its proving or verifying nothing) as I was next to the tranport office I figured I would ask them.

The conversation in there was tough due to language issues.. However they told me just bring the Chiang Mai book to them !! They also said I need copies of the current owners passport visa page TM7 but when I asked if he had to sign a form to approve the sale was told no !!! I know flat out that every time I have done a car transfer I needed the sellers signature on a paper. So now they have really confused me by telling me just bring the book in the other guys name back to Phuket !!

To top matters off we have a local office that acts a satellite office to the transport office.. Not even sure if they are a government or private as they seem to slap 100 baht transaction fee on everything and bulk take all books over and collect back next day. When I went there and asked about the CM transfer he got that blank look and walked off.. After trying to avoid me for 20 mins it was clear I wasnt leaving and he then asked what make of car it was (I replied.. Ohh VW mai dee ?!?!) said he would need to see the book.. When I said book was in CM his final answer was 'mmmm fiftee fiftee' not confidence inspiring.

Now they have put me into a worried mode. The office are telling me to just bring the book in the other guys name to Phuket.. forum says I should get my name in it in CM.. And the local satellite office has one of those blank grins !!! My plan is to try to register it into my name and Phuket address in CM, if that fails bring the book in the other guys name to Phuket (not happy about this option).

Comments anyone ??

I had mentioned I was looking at some cars in BKK and provinces other than my own (Phuket)..

I have found a car I like the look and price of.. Haggled out 90% of the deal with the owner and am now at the stage of booking a plane ticket to head to Chiang Mai to look at it. Of course its vital to get this right one time only as I dont want to drive the CM to phuket round trip a second time because theres a missing stamp on form 36c !!

I previously had posted this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=98854&st=0

And also read this one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100411

Both threads indicated I should buy the car.. Put it in my name at the point of sale (CM) and then I have 30 days in which to reregister it in Phuket..

To make sure I had all bases covered I went today to immigration to get my 'proof of residence / Proof of address' paper (why is this required when I already have a Thai driving licence based at this address ?? All I did was show my thai licence to obtain it so its proving or verifying nothing) as I was next to the tranport office I figured I would ask them.

The conversation in there was tough due to language issues.. However they told me just bring the Chiang Mai book to them !! They also said I need copies of the current owners passport visa page TM7 but when I asked if he had to sign a form to approve the sale was told no !!! I know flat out that every time I have done a car transfer I needed the sellers signature on a paper. So now they have really confused me by telling me just bring the book in the other guys name back to Phuket !!

To top matters off we have a local office that acts a satellite office to the transport office.. Not even sure if they are a government or private as they seem to slap 100 baht transaction fee on everything and bulk take all books over and collect back next day. When I went there and asked about the CM transfer he got that blank look and walked off.. After trying to avoid me for 20 mins it was clear I wasnt leaving and he then asked what make of car it was (I replied.. Ohh VW mai dee ?!?!) said he would need to see the book.. When I said book was in CM his final answer was 'mmmm fiftee fiftee' not confidence inspiring.

Now they have put me into a worried mode. The office are telling me to just bring the book in the other guys name to Phuket.. forum says I should get my name in it in CM.. And the local satellite office has one of those blank grins !!! My plan is to try to register it into my name and Phuket address in CM, if that fails bring the book in the other guys name to Phuket (not happy about this option).

Comments anyone ??

Transferring ownership from prov. to prov. is not difficult at all. When you've made the purchase get signed copies of ID card and house reg. or if from farang signed copies of passport with visa and entry stamps. Now get the person to sign veh. book and the 2 in Thai papers. One is the power of attorney and the I think bill of sale. Take directly to transport office in Phuket with signed copies of your passport,visa,entry stamp and letter of residence. Vehicle will likely be inspected. Likely 2-3 hrs. for everything and wait 2-3 mos. for new plates

OK so your saying almost what Phuket said.. Buy the car (physically) in CM but bring the book in his name to Phuket.. Also stating the docs I need but your saying the 2 sale papers I remember while Phuket transport office said no to those (but I dont believe them).

This advise is pretty much opposite to the advice I understood from the two linked threads telling me to buy it in CM, put it in my name in CM (is that possible / easy / normal to register a car in CM in my Phuket address ??) and then bring it to Phuket where I would have 30 days to register it here !!

Of course Option 1 seems more risky for me.. If I get to Phuket after flights and 2000 kms and they say no, missing a piece of paper etc its one hel_l of a drive to go get it.

EDIT :: BTW thanks for the inputs.. I really appreciate it as flights are now booked and I leave tomorrow.. I hate the way you cant ever get clear answers on things like this here.

Edited by LivinLOS

Can you leave the guy a stamped addressed enveloped and if you need any paperwork get him to post it down, EMS is pretty good even in the sticks.

In theory I can.. However I am not the worlds most trusting person.. Once I pay the money I dont expect to receive further help and anything extra is a bonus..

Anyway tickets booked.. Will see.. Seems other posters have got cars put in thier name and address even in out of province purchases.

Just wish that gov offices would give one clear straight answer.. The guy telling me it was 50/50 on getting the book moved and asking what make of car (why the hel_l would that have any bearing ?) would have been comical if it wasnt so worrying.

JMO but i think it would be much safer to do the transfer in Chang Mai , where you have the previous owner close by in case of that inevitable extra signature or something of that nature being required.

Once your name is in the blue book its not much drama to change the plates to Phuket.