Tick season is full on at our house

stupidfarang

We have one dog, gets a tick and flea shot every month and is shampooed each month. But we seem to have a lot of ticks around the outside of our house (note the outside is all tiled, no grass) Is there anything worth using to spray or wash the outside with that will help too either get rid of the Ticks or reduce the numbers? 

Thanks in advance

I had a major tick problem 2 years ago. Started in the wet season with my dogs one day having a few ticks then it just got worse from there. I tried every shampoo and even got some $30 tick wash from the states that did pretty much nothing. The dogs sleep next to the front door so this led to them getting in the house. They were in bedded in the wood doors, on the walls and floors. The only thing that worked was the shot you can give the dogs once a month. After that they started to go away slowly. I sprayed some roach killer around the corners of the walls and doors and seemed slow them down but in reality it was a few months after before I didn't see anymore of them. If you have wood doors try giving them a spray once a week to get inside any cracks and corners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, chilidog said:

I had a major tick problem 2 years ago. Started in the wet season with my dogs one day having a few ticks then it just got worse from there. I tried every shampoo and even got some $30 tick wash from the states that did pretty much nothing. The dogs sleep next to the front door so this led to them getting in the house. They were in bedded in the wood doors, on the walls and floors. The only thing that worked was the shot you can give the dogs once a month. After that they started to go away slowly. I sprayed some roach killer around the corners of the walls and doors and seemed slow them down but in reality it was a few months after before I didn't see anymore of them. If you have wood doors try giving them a spray once a week to get inside any cracks and corners.

Same here. Dogs would get ticks, missus spent hour every day de-ticking three dogs. Had the drops, no good. Injections monthly worked well. Now no ticks and haven't injected the dogs for around 3 months, strange how they disappeared. Or maybe dogs got some immunity?

April last year - the worst ever tick infestation. 2 dogs - till then from time to time I'd see a tick or 2. But April 2017 - wherever you touched the dogs you where actually touching ticks - lots of ticks... Although the dogs don't go inside, I had many ticks in the house as well. The solution for the dogs was Nexgard tablets. 1 for each dogs, and the next morning only few ticks were left on the dogs and those were already dead!!

Until last month I never saw another tick on the dogs. Last month I took out one off 1 of the dogs. Few days after that there was another 1 so I used the 2nd tablet from the box from last year. So far we are good.

As for the house - that was a bit harder. I bought something at a local pet supply shop (don't remember the name of it)  and sprayed in and around the house day after day... Was clear for a couple of days and then more young ones appeared. Eventually I just followed the ticks trying to find the source. I found 2-3 "nests" with 1 dead adult ticks and thousands of eggs under and around it. Once I cleaned out the eggs and sprayed again - no more ticks.

Good luck to the OP

• Thanks 1

My [fading] recollection of life in Oz is that people said that chooks were helpful in reducing or eliminating ticks. Not sure whether it was eating the ticks or maybe the tick's eggs ...

• Like 1

diatomaceous earth for a non toxic solution.  You can find it on lazada but kind of expensive here.  Also you can apply it wet but it is only effective when dry.  

For toxic you can use Ecto Tak and spray the walls with it.  It smells real strong until it dries.

• Thanks 1

Avoid to feed your Dog Chicken. This was a Tipp of the Veterenary. And it works. My Dog recover within 1 Month. Control the Fur daily and remove ticks.

Read the description on Cans and Dryfood packs. No Chicken! Note: Liver means also Chicken.

Edited by ujayujay
  • Thanks 1

I started mopping down my driveway each morning with a small amount of dis-infective mixed with water. 

Instead of giving my dog shots it was suggested I try a product I believe it is made by Signal?  it is a small bar just like a piece of chocolate, took it out of the small box and it was down in seconds. Around 30 minutes later the licks were just falling off him and it lasted 2 times longer than the shots.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2018 at 8:27 AM, chilidog said:

Yes I have started to spray roach killer around the front door, it has slowed them down but I think like you it will take time for them to go

On 7/31/2018 at 8:50 AM, perconrad said:

Give the dogs a Bravecto tablet every 3 month and the ticks will disappear.

We had the same problem, but after we started with Bravecto we don't se ticks anymore not outside nor inside or on the dog.

If Your local vet don't have it then its available on Lazada.  

will give this a go, thanks

On 7/31/2018 at 2:22 PM, ujayujay said:

Avoid to feed your Dog Chicken. This was a Tipp of the Veterenary. And it works. My Dog recover within 1 Month. Control the Fur daily and remove ticks.

Read the description on Cans and Dryfood packs. No Chicken! Note: Liver means also Chicken.

Why no chicken? What is different/attracts the ticks?

On 7/31/2018 at 9:49 AM, LukKrueng said:

April last year - the worst ever tick infestation. 2 dogs - till then from time to time I'd see a tick or 2. But April 2017 - wherever you touched the dogs you where actually touching ticks - lots of ticks... Although the dogs don't go inside, I had many ticks in the house as well. The solution for the dogs was Nexgard tablets. 1 for each dogs, and the next morning only few ticks were left on the dogs and those were already dead!!

Until last month I never saw another tick on the dogs. Last month I took out one off 1 of the dogs. Few days after that there was another 1 so I used the 2nd tablet from the box from last year. So far we are good.

As for the house - that was a bit harder. I bought something at a local pet supply shop (don't remember the name of it)  and sprayed in and around the house day after day... Was clear for a couple of days and then more young ones appeared. Eventually I just followed the ticks trying to find the source. I found 2-3 "nests" with 1 dead adult ticks and thousands of eggs under and around it. Once I cleaned out the eggs and sprayed again - no more ticks.

Good luck to the OP

thank you for the info, appreciated

I would also like to know how avoiding chicken will help with ticks. Is the theory it causes too much inflammation so ticks may be attracted as the dog isn't in the fullest of health it possibly could be? If that is the case then you can counter that a bit by giving the dog fish. Only taking away chicken seems too good to be true in a place like Thailand (high tick population), and maybe it was just more timing - i.e. it was actively de-ticking and other processes that helped, taking away the chicken occurred at the same time so 'seemed' to be the solution.  

Like others have said, Bravecto. Or Nexgard. They are both super drugs. Just watch closely for side effects. Few groups trying to ban them in America, but in a place like Thailand the risk of side effects is so much lower than the risk of ticks. A big clean out of the house and taking the drugs should prevent any future infestations. 

Don't know much about it, but apparently guinea hens and other poultry are great for tick control if talking outside. Depending on the breed of dog, don't shave or trim it. Will take away its insulation for the hot sun and also you will be taking away the guard hairs to help prevent parasites like ticks. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/31/2018 at 2:50 PM, perconrad said:

Give the dogs a Bravecto tablet every 3 month and the ticks will disappear.

We had the same problem, but after we started with Bravecto we don't se ticks anymore not outside nor inside or on the dog.

If Your local vet don't have it then its available on Lazada.  

Even better, Nexguard Spectra - as it protects against heartworm too.

Edited by dick dasterdly