Best Bang for the Buck laptops

Eterno

4 hours ago, ravip said:

This is entirely a matter of personal opinion. For example, same as saying I buy only Rolex watches as they are the best in the market.

So ridiculous.

A computer is not a watch and we do not buy a design, we buy electronic parts.

And of course it's a fact that a i7 processor is better than a i3 processor.

Why posting something so stupid !? Nothing else to do ?! You are not helping the op.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I7 is not nesseary unless you are heavily into video editing and the latest fastest games.

My new i5 8th gen flies and are okay for photo editing, not a gamer.

Get min Full HD or you will likely regret it.

I also bought mine from Amazon, don't want a Thai/English mixed keyboard.

So proud of you ! You saved 3000 thb by buying a i5 ! What a great success.

Sorry but I do not buy the cheapest things available just to save $50 and I even find this idea so ridiculous for a machine that you will use so many years.

And yes, live here but refuse a Thai/English keyboard, your life will always be easy !

17 hours ago, ravip said:

If you are not in to 'heavy' computing i7 is not really necessary.

True, though there are also increasing numbers of people who value 3 weeks of their time as more valuable than drive price difference if they're, say, rebuilding the BTC blockchain from scratch...again... because their HDD failed (just one task I had to do, and figured out it was nothing to do with processor speed or amount of memory, internet speed etc).

For spreadsheets and web browsing almost anything will do (except those curs-ed Rasberry Pi things  Just need two more then I can raise the desk height).

• Like 1

I can tell you what my missus did this week.  She picked up a broken laptop I have (turns out that video chip had died, apparently), said "you want this?", I said "if you can get it fixed you can have it".  Nothing more was said until yesterday. "2500 baht, is that okay?".  I said "better than a new price, and it'll do what you want for sure"......there was a pause.....so I added "you do have the money don't you?  please tell me this is not a big deal for you".  She hugged/kissed/laughed as if to pretend she wasn't trying it on and was just joking. 

She paid.

(Ah...the things I have to do to encourage fiscal responsibility).

Anyhow, it cost her 2800 baht in total - because she wanted Thai on the keyboard and had to buy some stickers (apparently it's not a universal language).  Better than 10-15K though, except now I'm a computer engineer again.  I thought I'd retired years ago.  "This is how to open a browser.  This is what you type to get Facebook....no no darling, facebook is not for the Thai language" etc.

I'm sure there must be loads of farang with a broken laptop that just don't have the energy/strength/patience/tolerance to try to negotiate the task and just buy another one.  Maybe that's an option for OP to explore.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gaff said:

So ridiculous.

A computer is not a watch and we do not buy a design, we buy electronic parts.

And of course it's a fact that a i7 processor is better than a i3 processor.

Why posting something so stupid !? Nothing else to do ?! You are not helping the op.

Nobody buys a computer because of the design? 555

A i7 also uses more energy and produces more heat. If someone does not need more power then an i3 might be better than an i7 for that user.

"Why posting something so stupid !? Nothing else to do ?!" Yes, that are good question. Maybe some users here should think about it before they show their ignorance and incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Nobody buys a computer because of the design? 555

A i7 also uses more energy and produces more heat. If someone does not need more power then an i3 might be better than an i7 for that user.

"Why posting something so stupid !? Nothing else to do ?!" Yes, that are good question. Maybe some users here should think about it before they show their ignorance and incompetence.

Ok, keep driving your Japanese truck, I keep driving my Benz. Everybody does the best he can ❤️

10 hours ago, gaff said:

Yes ! Keep buying your shit i3, we buy i7 and i9 soon ! Why ? because we can ! 55555+

hqdefault.jpg.534ada64222551b673fe4c2cecb77458.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, balo said:

Do Amazon ship directly to Thailand ? 

Yes they do but when you buy any item there, you first have to find a vendor that ships international, no all does.

When I bough my laptop I paid app 100$ in import duties but got them back from Amazon 2 month later, happened twice now.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

UPDATE: I thought about the subject and realise that probably is better if a set up the budget to 25000Baht (1 dollar a day for 2 years is a good deal) considering also time passing. It's totally reasonable to get something at least 8GB RAM, i5 CPU, and with SSD and probably a graphic card Nvidia or Amd. Should I consider a global warranty?

Also I go for 14' instead of 13.

for the moment the choice would be Lenovo ideapad 530S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eterno said:

Thanks everyone.

UPDATE: I thought about the subject and realise that probably is better if a set up the budget to 25000Baht (1 dollar a day for 2 years is a good deal) considering also time passing. It's totally reasonable to get something at least 8GB RAM, i5 CPU, and with SSD and probably a graphic card Nvidia or Amd. Should I consider a global warranty?

If you travel it is obviously good if you have warranty wherever you are.

If you go for a Lenovo I suggest a Lenovo Thinkpad. They are build for business, reliable, etc.

If you don't play games you don't need a (not built in) graphic card.

• Like 2

a powerful gaming laptop is likely heavy also. Figure out what your most demanding games need as per spec to run then go from there. for me #1 laptop priority is light weight cause you'll be carrying it around when u travel

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eterno said:

Thanks everyone.

You are on the way to understand ❤️ Soon you will forget the stupid comments of the cheap charlies here, and buy a i7 ❤️

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 or 14", hmm, it all depends how much you drag it around and how much the size/weight bother you when doing so. 

My new laptop is a 13"er but I use it mainly as travel laptop, don't use it much at the house, have a good desktop PC here with huge 4k monitor.

• Like 1