A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

webfact

On 8/2/2018 at 6:46 AM, Bluespunk said:

Just as I believe no one should be forced to wear a veil, I believe no one should be forced not to wear one either.

“Staying silent is like a slow growing cancer to the soul and a trait of a true coward. There is nothing intelligent about not standing up for yourself. You may not win every battle. However, everyone will at least know what you stood for—YOU.”

Shannon L. Alder

Hey I want to wear a veil, too. Especially when I go into banks and hang around ATM machines.

I would love to see what would happen if i walked down any main street or high street on a freezing cold morning wearing this.

• Balaclava.
  • Stockmans Coat.
  • Shotgun case over my shoulder. 
  • Hat.

• The firearm is registered in my name.
  • Just going to pick up a coffee and a sandwich.
  • Everything is legitimate and the gun is licensed and i am off going wildfowl shooting.
  • Do you think there would be a few phone calls to the police?
  • I am sure there would be a few phone calls.

People perceive correctly or incorrectly the same way in these times of terrorism the wearing of a Burkha. I know i do. My guard goes up immediately. I think it is human nature and to do with fear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the guest said:

Congratulations Denmark in making a very sensible decision. The law is clear, no veils in public !

Showing your face in public is foremost an integral part of integrating into western life. Those which fail to except our values then have the right to leave and live in countries which tolerate that behavior. 

Muslims are only happy to live in non Muslim countries 

Send them back to live in the sand if they don't want to conform to society norms and put an end to this nonsense 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

You are allowed to wear a balaclava in public. They aren't banned.

If a police officer asks you to show your face you must comply.

Half of Northern winter countries are hidden by ski masks half the year.

They are in malls, banks and even post offices in the UK and for good reason

(in not talking about frozen ski resorts BTW) 

I don't think the authorities will be impressed if we all start wearing these in public :

Balaclava_3_hole_black.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

They are in malls, banks and even post offices in the UK and for good reason

(in not talking about frozen ski resorts BTW) 

I don't think the authorities will be impressed if we all start wearing these in public :

Balaclava_3_hole_black.jpg

These women weren't in banks, malls, or post offices. They were protesting the ban to walk around in public. There are only 250-300 women in Denmark who even wear the thing, not worth a blanket ban.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why do people keep on harping about about walking in to a bank, or airport for that matter, which is a completeky different kettle of fish, and not what this ban is about.

I don't know about others. I talk about it because it is relevant.

Perhaps I don't have all the facts.

If the current law specifically bans face coverings when entering banks and other high security areas then that particular point is invalid and I withdraw it.

But that was not really my main point.

Again, it is simply human nature to distrust people when you can't see what they are hiding or even be sure they are human.

I welcome your rebuttal on this primary thesis.

Actually I think you are sensitive to the bank thing because it is indeed a  most relevant point and you can think of no logical way to refute it.

Pretty much every country sets out some arbitrary standards about dress in public.  The rules are arbitrary, but make managing the public easier.   Whether it is 'No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service", or women walking around topless, it makes life in public easier for everyone.   

The face veil falls within the same category and if the Danish people prefer that it not be allowed, then that is their decision.   I respect it.   

There is no religious reason for wearing it, so it is just drawing unnecessary attention to someone.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Credo said:

There is no religious reason for wearing it, so it is just drawing unnecessary attention to someone.  

Whether religious or cultural, one should still have the right to wear what clothes they wish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I don't know about others. I talk about it because it is relevant.

Perhaps I don't have all the facts.

If the current law specifically bans face coverings when entering banks and other high security areas then that particular point is invalid and I withdraw it.

But that was not really my main point.

Again, it is simply human nature to distrust people when you can't see what they are hiding or even be sure they are human.

I welcome your rebuttal on this primary thesis.

Actually I think you are sensitive to the bank thing because it is indeed a  most relevant point and you can think of no logical way to refute it.

"If the current law specifically bans face coverings when entering banks and other high security areas then that particular point is invalid and I withdraw it."

It doesn't have to, since banks are private property and the ban is about public places. So the situation regarding banks has not changed. Same with airports, talking about that is simply not applicable here and not relevant.

"Again, it is simply human nature to distrust people when you can't see what they are hiding or even be sure they are human.

I welcome your rebuttal on this primary thesis."

Maybe your nature, not necessarily human nature. You may not like it, others don't mind. I'm not getting in an argument about this.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If you want to cover your head go ahead. If you want to look a complete c*** that's your right. 

It is your right.

It shouldn't be banned. I don't like burkas but I also believe in the right to choose my own clothes.

Veils should be allowed but for security reasons should not be allowed in a bank, a store, a stadium, etc.Terrorists and criminals use them to disguise the face from police investigation,  and disguise themselves as women as well

However any girl forced to wear one or undego Female Genital Mutilation should be protected from their family and given asylum and relocation by the relevant authorities. I am not for supporting creeping Islamization the difference is when Muslims outbreed whites in Europe  (25-30 years maximum) every woman  will be FORCED to wear veils as sharia  is imposed. Sorry this is a demographic certainty. All the freedoms enjoyed now will be voted away.

For now it is just a style, people should wear what they want. Try to  go to Japan or Korea in the winter half the country wears surgical masks.

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

13 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Islam,....is just a religion which the vast majority are peaceful.

Disagree. Islam is a set of rules for a way of life or politics cloaked in religion. Agreed most are peaceful and not even remotely religious but that should not deter from the fact that the most outspoken people have an agenda. 

I can walk into a bank wearing a full face religious garment but cannot walk into a bank wearing a full face crash helmet? There is no difference in the intent. Both are there to obscure the face and avoid facial recognition. 

One could agree that covering up one's women avoids women snatching raids from neighboring tribes which was probably the original intent or maybe to stop one's own neighbor from coveting your wife (Biblical reference) but in modern western societies there are different reasons for the opposite and that is baring ones face for recognition.

Edited by VocalNeal

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you protest as much when women in some countries are forced to wear a burka, or when they are refused an education because they are a woman? Or is it only the ban in Denmark that upsets you?

YES I do protest just as much!

I'm absolutely disgusted by women forced to wear the burka or refused an education. They are being denied a choice which is what the ban in Denmark is, a denial of choice.

Edited by duanebigsby

A large number of trolls, off topic posts as well as large dose of bickering posts  

and answers to them have been removed in a topic cleanup.

This is the topic subject, 

A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

Watch this space there are more to follow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duanebigsby said:

I'm absolutely disgusted by women forced to wear the burka or refused an education. They are being denied a choice which is what the ban in Denmark is, a denial of choice.

you can't even be sure someone wearing a burqa is a women after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

If you look at pictures of many of these Muslim countries post 2nd World War (50's,60's,70's), you do not see such a high prevalence of face coverings. A very high percentage of women in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan were in higher education. These countries as well as some of the others were far more secular in the past. It seemed to go rapidly downhill in the 90's.

It could well be argued that with the rise of islamification in the 90's and after, came the breakdown of many of these societies and hence the mass immigration. That is why the majority of them are in Europe, either because of the breakdown of their own society or for better economic opportunities. Now they are looking to recreate the very same society in their new home that they came from (in simple Thai style Eng. "same same but different passport") ! 

My hypothesis would be that, their society was unsustainable where they came from and it will be so when relocated. Why should the West be so accommodating to those from a failed social model?

Where on earth did you get the figures that the majority of Muslims from Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran or indeed from any other Muslim country live in Europe? You do know the vast majority of Muslim refugees live in Muslim majority countries?

BTW if you are interested be good idea to research some colonial / foreign policy / economic history which generated the context for initial influx and ongoing of Muslims into the West. It is interesting to note the beginning of Islamist Salafi ideology actually commenced in the late 19th Century in British controlled Egypt which went on to influence a number of today's Islamist terror groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salafi_movement

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Opl said:

you can't even be sure someone wearing a burqa is a women after all.

Who cares?

Do you now want to ban cross dressing?

I can't always tell if someone in drag is male or female either. Big deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

But why would they insist on wearing something that represents oppression?

They find it more comfortable?  They're so beautiful that they're worried about being preyed upon by men? ?

It makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

If you look at pictures of many of these Muslim countries post 2nd World War (50's,60's,70's), you do not see such a high prevalence of face coverings. A very high percentage of women in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan were in higher education. These countries as well as some of the others were far more secular in the past. It seemed to go rapidly downhill in the 90's.

It could well be argued that with the rise of islamification in the 90's and after, came the breakdown of many of these societies and hence the mass immigration. That is why the majority of them are in Europe, either because of the breakdown of their own society or for better economic opportunities. Now they are looking to recreate the very same society in their new home that they came from (in simple Thai style Eng. "same same but different passport") ! 

My hypothesis would be that, their society was unsustainable where they came from and it will be so when relocated. Why should the West be so accommodating to those from a failed social model?

To be fair, it's only a tiny percentage of moslem women that insist on wearing the burka.  Why?  God (?) only knows!

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

But why would they insist on wearing something that represents oppression?

They find it more comfortable?  They're so beautiful that they're worried about being preyed upon by men? ?

It makes no sense to me.

Makes no sense to me either.

I think it's patriarchal oppression from ancient times twisting religious dogma.

But I also think if it's their choice, it's their right.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Makes no sense to me either.

I think it's patriarchal oppression from ancient times twisting religious dogma."

Agree entirely.

"But I also think if it's their choice, it's their right."

Disagree entirely, as Western women fought very long and hard to obtain something close to equal rights - and there is no good reason IMO, to let a few extremists try to bring back the old patriarchal oppressive 'rules' as acceptable in our societies.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there. I don't think the Danish women were Muslim extremists.

I do believe, given time, Muslim women will abandon the veil without abandoning their faith, but it needs to be done on their own accord.

Edited by duanebigsby

Just as some "extremist Islam" movements could be argued to be partially the result of "Western Imperialism"; logically there will be movements sprouting up in the West which will push against the islamification of our society.

Absolutely some of reasons for the conditions in the Middle East have been created by the West, but certainly not all. Just as it is argued that the Muslims rejected westernisation by becoming extreme, you will find that will work in the other direction. Major changes appearing in the west through mass migration will see an extreme reaction from the native population.

• Like 2