'No repeat of devastating 2011 floods'

webfact

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Last year people were moaning about it too it did not happen. You seem to forget in 2011 they started releasing water far later. They released it at the wrong time a time that coincided with the high tides from the sea. That being said if something happens I will know if much faster because this time there are drones. One of my biggest gripes with 2011 and the goverment at the time was that they did not warn us. Kept saying no problem (not so sure I expect this government to be different). But now there are a lot of private drones that could show how bad it is. I could take action far faster. 

I just hope that they will release the water faster they then have months extra to release it. That makes a huge difference.

Exactly right about the importance of the timing for the release of water timing. It is also my concern that there are so much similarities of 2011. In 2011, the dams were near capacity in July and we have the same now in early August. In 2011, the flooding started in Aug 15 in Nakorn Sawan and in about a month reached Singburi and the industrial estates. Seem the release now is a little too late. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Exactly right about the importance of the timing for the release of water timing. It is also my concern that there are so much similarities of 2011. In 2011, the dams were near capacity in July and we have the same now in early August. In 2011, the flooding started in Aug 15 in Nakorn Sawan and in about a month reached Singburi and the industrial estates. Seem the release now is a little too late. 

I agree with the importance of releasing water early, they just started too late. So if they start now they might increase flooding in some area's but overal they will decrease it. Last time they had to release the water when flooding was already really bad. Anyway I am not 100% sure of course (would be nice to see in the future). I still got my waders. But this time I won't stay in my house. I move out fast and find somewhere else to stay. 

I do wonder if there are changes between now and 2011 in the water infrastructure. (i know many big projects have been cancelled) But I have seen new smaller projects in my area. Also I believe they have more water retention area's now. 

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

"competent personel to man critical infrastructure..."

Hmmm....

A cousin of  the brother in law is not enough for you?

It's enough for me personally, as I own the only piece of land on my particular river that never floods. We're I one of my neighbors I'd be pretty upset.

Just now, lannarebirth said:

It's enough for me personally, as I own the only piece of land on my particular river that never floods. We're I one of my neighbors I'd be pretty upset.

T'was a joke....

I too was the last man standing the last time.It didn't really make me feel any better tho'...

DSCN0881.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“there will be no repeat this year of the great floods of 2011”.

:cheesy: Can he quote this in November again? In public? On the telly?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

omkiat admitted that some major dams in the country’s upper part including the Northeast, Central and West now contained a higher level of water than was the case prior to the devastating 2011 floods

This is what the "other" paper was quoting, except just a wee bit more critical.

Believe me, post rainy season, it's gonna get BAAAD down 'sarf... 'cos up here it's bad and we are only just into August. I've never seen the 'Kong this high in July.....

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Nanny state?

Thailand?

You have a point :shock1:

Apart from the weather, they constantly issue warnings, the majority come to nothing, but then they can say ................... ???

Instead of admitting they don't have a clue, its in the hands of mother nature and the incompetents that try to control the water situation.

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

T'was a joke....

I too was the last man standing the last time.It didn't really make me feel any better tho'...

DSCN0881.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

Thankfully, I've never experienced anything like that at my home. 2005 was our big flood and the water came within about 50 meters of my house. Many of my neighbor's bottom floors and the local wat were flooded though.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Thankfully, I've never experienced anything like that at my home. 2005 was our big flood and the water came within about 50 meters from my house. Many of my neighbor's botton floors and the local wat was flooded though.

Yes..aftermath of devastation..true Thai grit...

DSCN2005.JPG

DSCN1997.JPG

DSCN2004.JPG

DSCN1977.JPG

Edited by Odysseus123

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

But, but, there are no hills on the Central Plain ?

Thats why we call it the rice bowl of Thailand up here in Phitsanulok.................:smile:

As Eric Loh mentioned earlier, Nakon Sawan is a good indicator of problems; this is the meeting place of the Northern rivers before their journey down to Bangkok. If they have problems there, you can bet there will be problems further down stream as well..........:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

If it rains too much then it will flood. The End.

Are the smart people who were in charge in 2011 still in charge now ? Not sacked or anything for being idiots ?

Then it will flood. The end.

31 minutes ago, gaff said:

Are the smart people who were in charge in 2011 still in charge now ? Not sacked or anything for being idiots ?

Then it will flood. The end.

IIRC the top person in charge of dams, water etc is the Minister of Agriculture.

In 2011 it was Theera Wongsamut of the Chartthaipattana party.

Currently it is Gen. Chatchai Sarikan.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

IIRC the top person in charge of dams, water etc is the Minister of Agriculture.

In 2011 it was Theera Wongsamut of the Chartthaipattana party.

Currently it is Gen. Chatchai Sarikan.

Another $$ millionaire genius I guess ?

• Like 1

If the water level were critical, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha would issue instructions.

I feel safer already. Maybe too, if it gets really bad, he'll wander down to the failing dams and part the waters Red Sea style whilst they build new embankments.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Crossy, as long as they try to empty the dams early before the really high tides in oktober things will be (mostly) ok. A lot of the troubles came because they waited to long to empty the dams. Seems now they have had fair warning. Still like you I will keep an eye on it.

Oh praise the lord your keeping a careful eye on it. No need to worry then, as you were 

I was living in Ayutthaya in 2011 and I really don't think it could be possible to be worse - famous last words, I know. Many kms from the river and still 1 metre deep. It was terrible, but fascinating at the same time. Unfortunatly many people lost so much but hopefully it will never be as bad again.

13 hours ago, starky said:

Oh praise the lord your keeping a careful eye on it. No need to worry then, as you were 

What a stupid remark, I was flooded in 2011 so with the treat of flood I do keep an eye on it is that so strange ? Normally i forgive you your stupidity but this is just low even for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Build the dams and they won't come.

The problem is more they all seem to make plans for dams, and then the next goverment cancels those plans so they can reap the brown envelop money  that goes with new plans (this is one of the few times a 10-20 year plan would help) I doubt real much large changes have been made since 2011. I know of changes near our place but no major changes. That said of course I have no clue what they actually have done all around the country. I just know no large scale plans were put in the work. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

What a stupid remark, I was flooded in 2011 so with the treat of flood I do keep an eye on it is that so strange ? Normally i forgive you your stupidity but this is just low even for you.

I'm not stupid Robb just your level of conceit and self importance baffles me. At least I won't insult you which seems your fall back response to posts which contradict your highly regarded concept of knowledge on all things Thai. If you could please tell me how your keeping an eye on things could stop a repeat of what happened to you in 2011? I would be most interested to know.

Edited by starky