Denied entry at SUVARNABHUMI Airport visa on arrival refused advice plz

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

It is the price that should be paid if a person wants to use Thailand to reside in and has no other visa option, the contribution to the economy is negligible in the big picture. (I pay more than the cost of this in income tax per year and get nothing in return, again the cost of working here, as it would be in any other country)

In what way are they getting a raw deal? The options are there if they choose to purchase, I really do not see why anyone thinks that they have the 'right' to reside in Thailand (or any other country) without doing this through the correct steps.

To be fair though, what Thailand does need to do, is clarify through law, in other words, state, very clearly, that tourists are restricted in staying for xxx amount of days per year, this where the whole issue of this thread stems from, as there is no properly declared limit and immigration have the discretion to put their own spin on to it, mind you, the UK does have very similar as well and a person could be refused if the border control officer decides that a person is residing in the UK using visit visas despite there being no actual yearly limit in days.

I do agree with some of your post, but I am not changing my views in the Elite visa.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I do agree with some of your post, but I am not changing my views in the Elite visa.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I am not saying that I agree or disagree with the Elite visa, I'm just saying that at least the option is there for those under 50 and not eligible for any other visa that allows long term residence, which is a lot better than some countries.

Whether I'd purchase an elite visa or not I'm not sure, it would depend on the circumstances I suppose.

I just don't think Thailand are trying to deter genuine tourists, far from it, they are, seemingly, tightening up on those who they feel are abusing the system and they are perfectly entitled to do this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Belzybob said:

You've got it.

Any genuine tourist will probably breeze through; but if somebody is suspected to be otherwise, then expect problems.

Of all of the recent threads here on the topic, I have yet to see one about a genuine tourist being rejected.

Exactly! My son has visited me from UK every year for the last five years. Stays three weeks. Has return ticket. No problem!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I am not saying that I agree or disagree with the Elite visa, I'm just saying that at least the option is there for those under 50 and not eligible for any other visa that allows long term residence, which is a lot better than some countries.

Whether I'd purchase an elite visa or not I'm not sure, it would depend on the circumstances I suppose.

I just don't think Thailand are trying to deter genuine tourists, far from it, they are, seemingly, tightening up on those who they feel are abusing the system and they are perfectly entitled to do this.

We seem to be agreeing a bit more now, but the Thai authorities need to start doing things to deter the illegal workers, and lay off the genuine long term tourists a bit.

16 hours ago, EL159 said:

Sorry to raise this, and casting no aspersions towards your (female) friend,  but in fact, there are and have been huge numbers of females from Uzbekistan and similar neighbouring Countries arriving in Thailand as "tourists" but then overstaying and working illegally providing "services".  Try the Grace Hotel late at night, stacked out with women from Uzbekistan hanging out to attract mainly Arabic men, I am told.

Perhaps there has been an attempted clampdown and your friend has been caught up in it?

i knew someone would this bring this up and you did 555

i suspect immo were thinking exactly that

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i knew someone would this bring this up and you did 555

i suspect immo were thinking exactly that

Never one not to call "a shovel a shovel" as it were!  One of the most uncomfortable experiences in Thailand is to wander into the Grace Hotel late at night. Uzbekistan hookers everywhere, someone I know once booked in there without realising and left after one night having paid in advance via Agoda so no refund of course. Good luck for once to Thai Immigration, just hope their clampdown targets the correct ones for once!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

We seem to be agreeing a bit more now, but the Thai authorities need to start doing things to deter the illegal workers, and lay off the genuine long term tourists a bit.

There in lies the problem IMHO, in that how do the authorities clamp down on illegal workers without discriminating on genuine tourists?

It is simply not feasible to check every work place, coffee shop or residence for illegal workers, they do have checks and some enforcement, this would never catch those that work at home etc.

Then upon arrival, how does a genuine tourist prove that they are not working in Thailand if they have a long history of stays using some sort of tourist entry?

The compromise, as far as the Thai authorities are concerned, is the elite visa, whereby the thought pattern is, OK, you want to stay here long time and you are not working, then you can purchase this, which in the minds of the Thai authorities is a win win situation, in that the person gets their permission to stay with very little hassle and Thailand gets the revenue for the visa and what is spent whilst here.

At the end of the day, no matter how it is jazzed up, a person who is making entry after entry, year upon year on a TV or similar with no breaks, cannot be considered as a genuine tourist, most in this category rent house or a condo, own a car etc. etc. which defines them as living here, not being a genuine tourist.

The authorities are well aware of this and have let it pass for years.

When I was working offshore and not married, I spent all of my leave time here on VEE, the difference being that I was away for up to 6 weeks at a time, so not here continuously with an odd day out just to restart the tourist clock.

As was mentioned by another poster earlier in the thread, the world has moved on and a lot more people can be remote from their workplace and country and this fuels more people that tend to live here on TV's etc.

8 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yikes! makes me nervous as I'm arriving in 10 days--always buy One way tix and clear the hurdles...get my 30 day stamp and extend that--then head to laos for the actual double visa and extend those for a 6 month stay > or <..

Anyone see any issues with my approach as I dont want to come with visa and lose those free 30+ days.....  ??

I do realize its a gamble as leaving the states without a visa has raised a few questions at the airport one way tix

What free 30 days?

Enter with a proper visa and relief yourself of all that hassle.

Those 'free' 30 days are always available to you when your visa runs out. Hop on a plane (to any destination)  and return and poof...30 days extra + extension of 15 days, rinse and repeat.

I will be doing something similar in the future.....enter on VOA...30 days.....hop on a plane to Philippines for another 30 days there and back to Thailand for another 30 days and after back home and work. 

7 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Never one not to call "a shovel a shovel" as it were!  One of the most uncomfortable experiences in Thailand is to wander into the Grace Hotel late at night. Uzbekistan hookers everywhere, someone I know once booked in there without realising and left after one night having paid in advance via Agoda so no refund of course. Good luck for once to Thai Immigration, just hope their clampdown targets the correct ones for once!

Its unbelievable that the Thai authorities have not clamped down on the activities and the human trafficking that goes on at the Grace Hotel. Weekly we see on TV a post on how many illegals have been caught on overstay. If they wanted to be serious they would have a base around the Grace hotel where they would catch 100 or so illegal working Uzbek women every night. There was a 2011 documentary on Human Trafficking that highlighted the issue and the pimps who control the trade. Here we are in 2018 and nothing has changed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belzybob said:

You've got it.

Any genuine tourist will probably breeze through; but if somebody is suspected to be otherwise, then expect problems.

Of all of the recent threads here on the topic, I have yet to see one about a genuine tourist being rejected.

Likely because normal tourists aren't members of TV; not to say a lot of them don't read it, just don't have permission to post through not becoming members. I was reading TV for about 7 years before signing on and I was living here.

Reckon the only people who have true numbers of people being rejected entry will be the IO's themselves in one of their databases.

9 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

What free 30 days?

Those 'free' 30 days are always available to you when your visa runs out. Hop on a plane (to any destination)  and return and poof...30 days extra + extension of 15 days, rinse and repeat.

I will be doing something similar in the future.....enter on VOA...30 days.....hop on a plane to Philippines for another 30 days there and back to Thailand for another 30 days and after back home and work. 

the extension would be 30 days not 15

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

There in lies the problem IMHO, in that how do the authorities clamp down on illegal workers without discriminating on genuine tourists?

It is simply not feasible to check every work place, coffee shop or residence for illegal workers, they do have checks and some enforcement, this would never catch those that work at home etc.

Then upon arrival, how does a genuine tourist prove that they are not working in Thailand if they have a long history of stays using some sort of tourist entry?

The compromise, as far as the Thai authorities are concerned, is the elite visa, whereby the thought pattern is, OK, you want to stay here long time and you are not working, then you can purchase this, which in the minds of the Thai authorities is a win win situation, in that the person gets their permission to stay with very little hassle and Thailand gets the revenue for the visa and what is spent whilst here.

At the end of the day, no matter how it is jazzed up, a person who is making entry after entry, year upon year on a TV or similar with no breaks, cannot be considered as a genuine tourist, most in this category rent house or a condo, own a car etc. etc. which defines them as living here, not being a genuine tourist.

The authorities are well aware of this and have let it pass for years.

When I was working offshore and not married, I spent all of my leave time here on VEE, the difference being that I was away for up to 6 weeks at a time, so not here continuously with an odd day out just to restart the tourist clock.

As was mentioned by another poster earlier in the thread, the world has moved on and a lot more people can be remote from their workplace and country and this fuels more people that tend to live here on TV's etc.

OK, if there was suitable punishment to the bosses who employ these illegals, as well as to the illegals themselves, high fines, automatic jail sentences etc. surely it would not be too hard to check on these employers.

But we all know the answer to that. Brown envelopes again spring to mind.

8 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

What free 30 days?

VOA's are 15 days VE's are 30 days.

4 hours ago, RyanWalker said:

Mate, feel free to post the proof of the Uzbec lady who got refused. She might be a 'real' tourist but the OI maybe had 

an arguement with hubby and had a bad day. It is what it is.. no point discussing it. The IO will decide whats what. I have 7 years of TV never got refused anything so 

I am not your 'mate'. You are again correct, there is no point in further discussion.

Edited by Belzybob

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am reading of tourists being rejected here on Thaivisa all the time, OK, we all know that in some cases the IOs are correct to reject some tourists, but neither you nor I know how many tourists deserve to be rejected and how many do not.

All I am saying is the under fifties who want to stay in Thailand long term are being given a raw deal.

Thailand is giving no more 'raw deals' than many other countries. I am unaware of any half decent country that lets people live there without an appropriate visa. Thailand was very laid back about it in the past.

Its a fact, so live with it.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Of course it is abuse, but instead of really doing something about it, the Thai authorities are just harassing innocent people.

They are mainly harassing people who are far from innocent, or just plain uninformed.  Good on them I say.  I wish that the Brit authorities were as vigilant  

She had been in thailand from oct 2016 to april 2018 with some tourist visas and ed visa inbetween.

She's had an ed visa , but can't read the stamp in her passport , or make any sense of why she's been refused entry ..did she even attend school ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

She's had an ed visa , but can't read the stamp in her passport , or make any sense of why she's been refused entry ..did she even attend school ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Who said she studied Thai? In my school there are more English language students vs Thai students...

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think there is confusion between getting a extension at immigration and doing an entry at a land border crossing.

It has been 30 days for an extension of a visa exempt entry since August of 2014. Before then there was no extension possible.

The 15 day entry at land border crossings was recinded in January of 2017.

UJ, presumably the only 'extension' to a VE entry prior to August 2014 was a 'must leave within 7 days' stamp?.

I recall getting a few of those over the years but couldn't quite remember the circumstances.

47 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Thailand is giving no more 'raw deals' than many other countries. I am unaware of any half decent country that lets people live there without an appropriate visa. Thailand was very laid back about it in the past.

Its a fact, so live with it.

"Thailand is giving no more 'raw deals' than many other countries".  Oh no? What about the Philipines? Thailand could easily do what they do regarding marriage visas.

How many countries have people with retirement extensions doing this nonsense of reporting every ninety days? 

How many countries send people on border hops all the time?

and finally, I will not live with anything I don't like if I can get away with it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

They are mainly harassing people who are far from innocent, or just plain uninformed.  Good on them I say.  I wish that the Brit authorities were as vigilant  

I am going to agree with everything you said here, but I still feel that the Thai authorities have too many people jumping through too many unnecessary hoops.