Dash Cams in rental cars

I've recently moved back to Pattaya after a 12 year absence and can't believe the traffic. It was always a bit chaotic but now I think it's mental.

A mate of mine was driving on Jomtien second road in a rental car, after he made a U turn got side swiped by a motorbike. The rental company were very understanding and sorted everything out for him, not a problem. Two days later he got a call from the police demanding that he pay 50,000 baht to the guy on the motor bike to cover medical expenses and loss of earnings. Now I'm not saying my mate was in the right but the guy on the bike seemed ok and the police at the time told my mate he was free and clear to be on his way as the guy on the bike had no insurance or licence. My question is "do you think rental cars should have dash cams installed, especially driving around Pattaya/Jomtien area?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Steviedbkk said:

I remember reading somewhere that Insurance companies were giving a 10% discount if you had a dash cam installed in your car. Is this still the case?

Some but not all seem to give such discount.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

You should tell the police you will report them for deriliction of duty and the motorcycle guy for false claim. And say 'see you in court' whilst leaving the police office.

You will never hear from them again.

Do you think the police in my mate's case are chancing their arm to see if he'll pay up regardless of the amount? Or should he seek legal advice?

1 minute ago, Steviedbkk said:

Do you think the police in my mate's case are chancing their arm to see if he'll pay up regardless of the amount? Or should he seek legal advice?

Of course they are. They are trying to 'milk the farang'. He should'nt have to pay up anything. The police should fine the motorcycle guy for driving with no license and no insurance. If they don't your friend can file a complaint against the police for not doing their duty and also report them for false claim against your friend.

99% your friend will never hear from the police again.

If he does, get a lawyer to contact the police (this small job shouldn''t cost much. After the police get their first letter or phone call from the lawyer 100% he will never hear from the police again.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:37 PM, JAS21 said:

Welcome to the ThaiVisa ...Diving is Thailand is probably the wrong forum to post this. To answer you though ALL cars should have Dash Cams ...?

Right! Great idea, an objective witness. Fitted one to wife's new car, since sh'e on the road a lot. Already fixed some disagreements with cut offs. Just point to dash cam and say, It's all recorded. End of argument.

I am seriously thinking of having my own. I rent quite a bit whilst travelling around. I nearly got into a massive smash with a truck and draw bar trailer rig a few weeks ago on my way down Highway 1 heading back to Bangkok.

Note to self. Get dash cam. I also want one that does the rear as well as forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steviedbkk said:

Friend was driving at the time of accident. So police will contact friend directly regarding traffic violations and subsequent penalties.

Friend should contact hire company's insurance provider and have their representative accompany them to the police station. The insurance company representative should deal with all compensation costs.

Friend should have completed an insurance claim form already.

Friend shouldn't sign any document or verbally agree to any conditions without conferring with the insurance companies representative.

Insurance company won't pay anything if friend is not at fault. So, third party could sue friend.

Better to resolve things at the police station.

Friend could get stuck here for a while if things drag out.

Cameras don't stop accidents.

Jerry

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steviedbkk said:

No, him should take a reporter and the insurance agent with to the police. I am sure they change their minds very fast. If this not help I would tell they go to court. The police not have the right to tell that him have to pay. Point!!! Only a judge can rule this out.

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

If he was "sideswiped" would the camera have recorded it, facing forwards.

good point, not sure how that would work out. maybe the video of making the u-turn would show where the motorbike came from???

On 8/6/2018 at 10:37 PM, JAS21 said:

Welcome to the ThaiVisa ...Diving is Thailand is probably the wrong forum to post this. To answer you though ALL cars should have Dash Cams ...?

And in this instance quite how would a dash cam have helped the driver getting side swiped by a lunatic motor cyclist whilst doing a U turn ?.  Unless of course the dash cam was pointing out of the drivers side window.  Dash cams ,  just another load of modern garbage to try and excuse stupid and dangerous driving. Its the vehicular equivalent of Facebook. 

In this case the 50000 baht claim from the police was just an attempted act of extortion by them and should have been , as previously said, resolved simply by a lawyers letter. 

Edited by Esso49
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1