Denying the right to abortion ‘puts lives at risk’

webfact

Denying the right to abortion ‘puts lives at risk’

By The Nation

3f33d4ff7ab543f17c30f95b1be1355b.jpeg

AT LEAST 28 women were denied their legally recognised right to abortion over the past year in Thailand.

The figures come from cases handled by the Aids and Unwanted Pregnancy Hotline 1663 centre between August 1, 2017 and July 31 this year. 

Abortions are legally allowed when pregnancies result from sexual attacks, are mired with serious foetus development problems, or could hurt the physical or mental health of the mothers-to-be. 

Denying women professional and hygienic abortion services often forces them to seek risky alternatives.

“When medical facilities deny them services, many women or girls with unwanted pregnancies turn to uncertified facilities and face the risk of substandard operations,” Aids Access Foundation’s director Nimit Tien-udom said yesterday. 

He was referring to a National Health Security Office report that unsafe abortions had claimed 11 lives in 2016 alone and cost the state Bt112 million in medical treatment for girls or women who developed health problems caused by unsafe abortions.

Nimit said 652 soon-to-be mothers had told the 1663 hotline over the past year that they had tried to end their pregnancies by ordering drugs from illegal websites or by harming themselves. 

“These girls and women should have been eligible to undergo abortions legally, because their situation hurt their mental health,” he said.

Nimit lamented that the medical workers’ attitudes toward unwanted pregnancies had put many girls and women in danger. 

He said all medical facilities should offer abortions for women or girls who refuse to carry their pregnancies to full term. He also pointed out that the Public Health Ministry had a policy that allowed abortions, and the National Health Security Office covered the cost in most cases. 

Achara Kaewpradit, operations chief of the 1663 centre, said it was very tough for a woman to learn that her foetus has development problems. “And they suffer even more when hospitals repeatedly deny them the right to terminate their pregnancy,” she noted. 

She added that in one case, a woman had to travel several times to Bangkok from upcountry before she could undergo the abortion. 

Somwong Uraiwattana, manager of the 1663 hotline centre, said 52,370 pregnant women and girls had called his centre about unwanted pregnancies. 

“Some 30 per cent of them were below the age of 20,” he said, adding that 83.5 per cent of the callers chose to terminate their pregnancies, after consulting the centre, while 6.2 per cent decided against it. 

His centre has worked with the Health Department and with doctors participating in the Referral System for Safe Abortion. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351760

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-09
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kannot said:

I fail to understand (lazy and stupid aside) these  days how any woman gets pregnant with such readily and cheaply available contraception.  If I was a  woman Id be damn sure I couldnt.

sure you would...

most people don't understand how the birth control pill works...it is not innocent...

it fools your body in thinking you are permanently PREGNANT

the massive amount of fake estrogen is also a great driver for CANCER to grow

liver problems, stroke, etc...

condoms, you can buy everywhere and even protect you from STD and does not pump the women full of those fake chemical estrogens, the food is already full off thanks to the use of PLASTICS in everything

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dickjones2018 said:

sure you would...

most people don't understand how the birth control pill works...it is not innocent...

it fools your body in thinking you are permanently PREGNANT

the massive amount of fake estrogen is also a great driver for CANCER to grow

liver problems, stroke, etc...

condoms, you can buy everywhere and even protect you from STD and does not pump the women full of those fake chemical estrogens, the food is already full off thanks to the use of PLASTICS in everything

Condoms can get a leak or a rip.

And what about women who are allergic to latex?

All mechanical or chemical products used have their plus and minus points.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, kannot said:

I fail to understand (lazy and stupid aside) these  days how any woman gets pregnant with such readily and cheaply available contraception.  If I was a  woman Id be damn sure I couldnt.

That is because your not educated on the subject, normally your pretty smart but here your missing some information. Even with the pill you can get pregnant its not a sure thing. Sure if you use condom and a pill its all but impossible but who likes condoms in a steady relationship. I begin to panic when my gf is overdue for a few days as I absolutely don't want kids. She also does not want them so that is good. 

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Guys, pressuring the girls into @#$%^&* without condom...for example!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Abortions have been legal in Thailand for 10 years or more.

As a result, the exceptions were expanded in 2005 to broadly include possible physical or mental harm, which has been widely interpreted to mean women who are emotionally distressed at the prospect of having children they cannot raise, Montri said.

In December 2014, two drugs known as the “abortion pill” – Mifepristone and Misoprostol – which had long been in clandestine use, were approved for ending pregnancies in a hospital setting.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/03/03/abortion-thailand-safe-legal-may-thought/

Males, politicians and religion should play no part in the discussion about the legality, illegality or reasons for abortion. 

It is 100% a woman's choice. 

For those females who oppose abortion for whatever reason ( usually religion) - fine, don't have an abortion - but how dare you project your beliefs onto a sane woman who chooses otherwise. 

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Its not often I agree with you, but yes abortions should be safe legal and a last option. There should also be a few rules about the time line when and when not. Not going to discuss that here as that is a whole other discussion.

The right to abortion should be there and it should not be up to religious extremist to decide that for others (IMHO its a personal matter so if they don't like abortion.. then they should not do it.. not forbid it for others), just like the right to end your life should be free. I hate it when religious people force others to live by their rules. (on personal matters)

Anyway I hope they make it free here.. a child when you don't want or can afford one can become a burden. There are enough people as is.

The Planned Parenthood Association of Thailand (Under the patronage of HRH The Princess Mother) will carry out an abortion for free if they accept that payment would be a hardship.

The main problem here is the government itself.  The law is in place but not advertised or the public made aware by the authorities for fear of upsetting the mainly Buddhist society.  Consequently many still think that abortion is illegal and so take the more dangerous route.

N.B.

One point of Thai law which I find very debatable is :

The limit for abortion in the UK is 24 weeks, in Thailand it's 28 weeks.  

8 hours ago, robblok said:

That is because your not educated on the subject, normally your pretty smart but here your missing some information. Even with the pill you can get pregnant its not a sure thing. Sure if you use condom and a pill its all but impossible but who likes condoms in a steady relationship. I begin to panic when my gf is overdue for a few days as I absolutely don't want kids. She also does not want them so that is good. 

you really think I dont know that???? sheesh, so 1 condom 2  pill 3 suck him off instead..result no sprog...........or 4 fingers  crossed legs wide  open.Buddha  will take  care......the most likely  scenario  for people who dont give a  ferkkk

4 minutes ago, kannot said:

you really think I dont know that???? sheesh, so 1 condom 2  pill 3 suck him off instead..result no sprog...........or 4 fingers  crossed legs wide  open.Buddha  will take  care......the most likely  scenario  for people who dont give a  ferkkk

If you knew that the pil could fail you would understand that sometimes there are unexpected pregnancies.. So what is the problem if people take precautions and they fail ? Why no other options then.

11 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

What you fail to understand is that readily and cheaply available contraception is not 100% effective.

what u fail to understand is  taking the  pill the same time daily is  99%  effective, shove a  johnny on it as  well almost guarantees  100%.............now imagine u are a  woman, wouldnt you make damn sure every morning on waking up youd  take that  pill at the same time??? I  know I would....really theres  almost no excuse and wow, how  much does it cost now.............peanuts

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you knew that the pil could fail you would understand that sometimes there are unexpected pregnancies.. So what is the problem if people take precautions and they fail ? Why no other options then.

im not  saying there cant be other options Im saying I fail to see why  people get pregnant  except  in a  very VERY  small amount of cases pill is  99%  effective taken at the same time daily.

Im all for abortion.........PM's  mother springs to mind

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kannot said:

It seems you do not know much about Thai females or the culture.

Edited by bkk6060

13 hours ago, kannot said:

They don't have time to get it when, Brother, Uncle, Dad come in the bedroom

for there first time. :shock1:

Ps, Let the ladies choose what they want to do.

Edited by stanleycoin