How safe is touring Thailand by motorbike?

sidjameson

Its those Lycra Clad posers on push bikes i cant stand, unlike the local poor making their way to work , these GOONS use the road as a Playground for racing.Again a different breed to the Touring Cyclists and Bikers for whom i have great respect.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Some of these, of course, were due to recklessness and stupidity. In other words, avoidable.

Some were not avoidable. 

Ignore the first, and meditate on the second category.

Many highly trained, highly experienced, exceptionally careful riders are killed in situations which were unforeseeable and unavoidable, because bikers have little protection, unlike cars with steel surroundings, seat belts, and air bags.

No, I'm not a puss. But I was both a cop and a paramedic. Motorbike "accidents," pound for pound, are far more gruesome than car accidents. And painful.

I attended a scene where a young girl was barely sideswiped by a semi. It threaded her between its rear two wheels. A snow shovel was used to bag her remains. Other than her choice to ride a bike that fateful day, totally unavoidable on her part.

I love biking. I do ride in the American Southwest, an open environment where you can drive for hours without seeing another vehicle. But there is nothing you could do today to persuade me to ride a motorbike in traffic. Too many fools out there with low mental capacity, and/or zero respect for life.

To the poster who wrote: 

Just bring a good helmet with you, if you have one. Or you can buy one here before starting your trip.

The helmet can be good for allowing next of kin to identify you after crushing, avulsive, shredding, severing injuries destroy the rest of your person.

I wish you the best.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
Ignorant spell checker

28 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

As I have said to you previously add a bit of humour fellow, thats the only way to go when you cannot change something

Have a nice day

?See my smiley face?Thanks for the advice. I'll take it with a grain of salt because reading through your previous posts, I can see you are certainly no barrel of laughs. Actually you sound quite bitter.

Anyway, instead of nasty points about suggesting I will have my leathers torn and I need to extrude more of your dead pan and macabre style humour, do you have any factual retorts relating to the subject at hand?

Care to get the grey matter working and intelligently counter my points that the motorcycle deaths are skewed and that they don't relate to trained people who adhere to safety measures whist defensively touring on well maintained machines? Or will you offer nothing to the debate and continue to throw spiteful barbs?

I find a large group of people in this world like to trash on motorcycle riders in general. I occasionally think they feel it is their deity of choice's given right to do so. I personally have a feeling of remorse for those people.

It reminds me of a bird that lives safely in a cage its whole long life. Missing out of the freedom but having continuous shelter and food - though never having the opportunity to spread their wings, to fly and to risk for reward of an enlightened soul. But each to their own.

Oh, and one more smiley face to show I really do have a sense of humour. ?

Edited by Farangwithaplan
Added a smiley face.

[/url]  
Some of these, of course, were due to recklessness and stupidity. In other words, avoidable.

Some were not avoidable. 

Ignore the first, and meditate on the second category.

Many highly trained, highly experienced, exceptionally careful riders are killed in situations which were unforeseeable and unavoidable, because bikers have little protection, unlike cars with steel surroundings, seat belts, and air bags.

No, I'm not a puss. But I was both a cop and a paramedic. Motorbike "accidents," pound for pound, are far more gruesome than car accidents. And painful.

I attended a scene where a young girl was barely sideswiped by a semi. It threaded her between its rear two wheels. A snow shovel was used to bag her remains. Other than her choice to ride a bike that fateful day, totally unavoidable on her part.

I love biking. I do ride in the American Southwest, an open environment where you can drive for hours without seeing another vehicle. But there is nothing you could do today to persuade me to ride a motorbike in traffic. Too many fools out there with low mental capacity, and/or zero respect for life.

To the poster who wrote: 

Just bring a good helmet with you, if you have one. Or you can buy one here before starting your trip.

The helmet can be good for allowing next of kin to identify you after crushing, avulsive, shredding, severing injuries destroy the rest of your person.

I wish you the best.

Rater surprised at that reply, as Ex Military we have seen things, but ive yet to meet another Officers who gives the gory Snow Shovel , or anything like your post.Tabloid type to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

?See my smiley face?Thanks for the advice. I'll take it with a grain of salt because reading through your previous posts, I can see you are certainly no barrel of laughs. Actually you sound quite bitter.

Anyway, instead of nasty points about suggesting I will have my leathers torn and I need to extrude more of your dead pan and macabre style humour, do you have any factual retorts relating to the subject at hand?

Care to get the grey matter working and intelligently counter my points that the motorcycle deaths are skewed and that they don't relate to trained people who adhere to safety measures whist defensively touring on well maintained machines? Or will you offer nothing to the debate and continue to throw spiteful barbs?

I find a large group of people in this world like to trash on motorcycle riders in general. I occasionally think they feel it is their deity of choice's given right to do so. I personally have a feeling of remorse for those people.

It reminds me of a bird that lives safely in a cage its whole long life. Missing out of the freedom but having continuous shelter and food - though never having the opportunity to spread their wings, to fly and to risk for reward of an enlightened soul. But each to their own.

Oh, and one more smiley face to show I really do have a sense of humour. ?

I will take that with a "PINCH" of salt    555555555

Yes I can see you DO have a sense of humour after reading that lot 5555555

• Confused 1

[emoji846]See my smiley face?Thanks for the advice. I'll take it with a grain of salt because reading through your previous posts, I can see you are certainly no barrel of laughs. Actually you sound quite bitter.

Oh, and one more smiley face to show I really do have a sense of humour. [emoji6]

Get a grip dude...
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mogandave said:

You make up a lot of cra- and claim a lack of ability to debate.

No one wants to see your bones poking holes in your leathers, and just because someone thinks it a bad idea to be riding a bike in traffic at 60 does not mean they hate bikers.

You’re just not that much to anyone but you and perhaps a few friends and family.

Oh, and your position that (apparently) everyone that does not spend their life on a bike is a pussy hiding out in the house is a little juvenile...

Apprently OldLakey thinks it is a foregone conclusion that injury will take place.

17 hours ago, oldlakey said:

They probably will be sooner or later

Now what specifically is crap? You haven't outlined it in your post. And you certainly haven't offered anything up for debate in that post either. Would you care to elaborate because I really don't understand.

I did suggest that I a selection of the population like to denigrate bike riders and see it as their right to do so. I also suggested that I feel people who live a safe life are missing out on some things. More power to them for living the straight life and wearing their "Tuesday" marked underwear on only Tuesdays. More power to them. But when they use illogical statements and skewed data to justify their comments about bike riders, they should expect a retort.

I have reread my post and I never made any suggestion about non riders being a pussy. I really can't understand how you came to that conclusion. Did you not comprehend my post?. You are making that statement up and attempting to attribute it to me. Why would you attempt that?

What are your thought on the figures on the motorcycle deaths? Do you think they reflect the type of riders who this thread is aimed at? If so, why. I really would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Typo and added, amended.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Apprently OldLakey thinks it is a foregone conclusion that injury will take place.

Now what specifically is crap? You haven't outlined it in your post. And you certainly haven't offered anything up for debate in that post either. Would you care to elaborate because I really don't understand.

I did suggest that I a selection of the population like to denigrate bike riders and see it as their right to do so. I also suggested that I feel people who live a safe life are missing out on some things. More power to them for living the straight life and wearing their "Tuesday" marked underwear on only Tuesdays. More power to them. But when they use illogical statements and skewed data to justify their comments about bike riders, they should expect a retort.

I have reread my post and I never made any suggestion about non riders being a pussy. I really can't understand how you came to that conclusion. Did you not comprehend my post?. You are making that statement up and attempting to attribute it to me. Why would you attempt that?

What are your thought on the figures on the motorcycle deaths? Do you think they reflect the type of riders who this thread is aimed at? If so, why. I really would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Farangwithaplan are you related to Prayut?

Reason i ask is he lives in la-la land, just the same as you.

Accidents do happen when you least expect them, i hope for your sake you dont end up like me.

Stop your BS, kick your brain in gear, and be safe on your bike.

• Confused 1

I rode around Loei for about a year and a half.  That was 40 years ago, and I'd had a few years experience riding bikes. Only flew over the handlebars once (like Superman) when some kids ran across a stop sign at a T intersection, hidden by a big truck. T-boned them.  Very little traffic back then, outside town.  Sprained several parts of my body that day. 

On a more recent vacation, we saw the aftermath of 3 fatal motorcycle accidents in 3 weeks.  And we weren't on the road all that much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Reason i ask is he lives in la-la land, just the same as you.

I can understand you being bitter due to your situation and as I have mentioned previously, I hope your quality of life improves. I have busted my leg in the past in my home country. It will not stop me doing something I enjoy.

But I must ask - why the personal barb? Play the ball and not the man. Tell me specifically why I am wrong instead of throwing school yard taunts.  Counter my thoughts with something considered. I am sure you, oldlakey and mogandave are intelligent people so please demonstrate it to me with your comments.

added
  • Sad 1

I have now 20 000 km + driving motorbikes in Thailand, and I have scratched on car so far, and had about 10 near accidents +-. 

I would say yes it is dangerous, and you should have some experience with traffic in Thailand before you go on longer trips. 

Bring what you feel you need of protection, as gloves, boots, pants and jacktets with kne, hip, albow, shoulder and back protection, as a good helmet with good ventilation. I also prefer to use a safety jacket, safety shorts and knee/leg pads when very nice hot weather with just a thin loose sweather and pants as well for sun protection. 

I prefer to be a bit mor aggessiv when driving motorbike than car, and always try to be up front expecting anything to happen. Look for legs under cars, shadows and never ever expect cars, trucks and busses will see you or respect you. 

Good luck

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 9:13 AM, soistalker said:

Please don't travel Thailand by motorcycle.

I'm begging you.

Go to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and have a great, safe trip.

Watch several hours of YouTube videos on THAILAND CAR CRASHES. You will see that in the majority of accidents, brakes were not applied prior to a crash. Thais simply cannot process information quick enough to be safe drivers. And they lack empathy for the human condition, so are unconcerned with your wellbeing whilst riding.

Lao safer than Thailand? And Cambodia? 

• Like 1

As long winded as you are I have no interest in going back over your pontifications, but you appear to be doubling down.

Saying something is likely to happen is not the same as wishing it so. Again, I doubt is anyone here cares enough about you to wish you harm, I certainly do not.

What figures on motorcycle deaths would you like me to comment on?

I know when see an emergency room here they are generally full of motorcycle accident victims and their crying families.

I know who’s under the blanket when I see a bike down on the the street and cop talking to the driver of the pickup.

I know that the (I hope) last time I went down on a bike was in DC and had it not been right in front of the guard armory and the medics been on me in minutes I’d of bled out on the street.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

As long winded as you are I have no interest in going back over your pontifications, but you appear to be doubling down.

Saying something is likely to happen is not the same as wishing it so. Again, I doubt is anyone here cares enough about you to wish you harm, I certainly do not.

What figures on motorcycle deaths would you like me to comment on?

I know when see an emergency room here they are generally full of motorcycle accident victims and their crying families.

I know who’s under the blanket when I see a bike down on the the street and cop talking to the driver of the pickup.

I know that the (I hope) last time I went down on a bike was in DC and had it not been right in front of the guard armory and the medics been on me in minutes I’d of bled out on the street.

I have been doing many things in life, and riding bikes in Thailand is not one of the safer one I have been doing! Accept the risk, be willing to get hurt, or even loose your life for your desire to ride bikes here! So how important is it to you OP? That is the question you have to ask!

It is safer to ride in groups with a decent leader, who is experienced, and know to take care of his group. The traffic in general have more respect for groups than individual riders. So where are you heading? There is Bikers all over thailand, and I am not talking about wannabees or 1% bikers, but normal people as normal they can get down here. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Jeez !! 12 pages on

I don't think matters what people think or what their thoughts on motorcycle deaths or if any type of rider ( who ever that is or means ).

If their not a motorbike enthusiast and are negative towards riders of motorcycles I have no interest in talking with them.

The OP asked a question wanting tour Thailand and wrote :-

Very inexperienced but always cautious rider.

Never takes risks on the bike. Daytime riding.

Always under the speed limit.

Am I signing my own death certificate?  Unquote. 

He got answers many good advice and many that are plain stupid and exaggerations in my book.

If he wants to go, go and enjoy like I have and many others.

• Like 1

I do a fair bit of travelling about on my bike(s), having experience and knowledge of how Thai people drive / react / manouvere etc is definately going to help you.

As someone mentioned i try to go ahead or stay behind traffic at distance.

By driving with knowledge you can minimise but no eliminate the chance of an accident.

I certainly will not stop touring around Thailand, once you get to the more remote parts of northern Thailand there's not than many vehicles about based on my experience.

• Like 2

It is also worth noting that dumping a bike a 20 is a lot different from dumping a bike at 60.....

At 20, we’re slapping hands and talking sh*t, we’re in a cast (babe magnet) for 6 weeks.

At 60, we’re bed-ridden for a month and sore for a year...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

There are some wonderful roads.

IMG_4760.jpg.ddee8828c872188b4ae845a35b3b4e01.jpg

And then there can be this sort of thing.

IMG_5085.jpg.60b4f5a0bb40a8eb8aab15883f4eb941.jpg

Riding defensively with a "slow in - fast out" style certainly helps as does positioning in your lane in straighter road sections.

There certainly is, Nan is epic...

• Like 1