Video: Pick-up hits 30 million baht McLaren - one of only three in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

What a fuss. A couple of scratches on the bumper. A little paint, buff and polish, sorted.FB_IMG_1534124811898.jpg

My guess is that that is about two to three million baht in damage, if he had the work done at the dealer, who is probably the only one who could match the paint exactly. We are talking about 20 coats of paint. Body work on these super cars is ridiculously expensive. The real question is, other than pure ego gratification, and the feeling of thumbing your nose at EVERYBODY else, why would you drive one of these cars on the roads here, and why would you pay three times what other people pay in the rest of the world for the car to begin with? You really have to have stupid cash to do that, and perhaps not the highest self esteem?

Having said all that, chances are the owner's insurance company will not want to pay the full amount of the claim, if the guy in the truck does not have sufficient insurance. And even if he did, his company would probably fight him on such an expensive claim. And the owner of the car obviously has very deep pockets, so he will have alot of influence in court. The truck driver could be on the hook for many years of his life, and this could end up being the lesson of his life. Be careful around super cars, you stunningly stupid freak of nature!

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:
4 hours ago, impulse said:

This is a perfect example of why normal drivers shouldn't be subject to the liability of having to pay for someone else's $$$$ toy in case of an accident. 

Strange logic...

If drivers have insurance, which should be mandatory, the insurance company will be liable.

Now you can make the case insurance premiums will be high if there are cars worth 30m baht driving around, but that will be compensated by charging the owners of these cars astronomical insurance premiums. I don't think the driver of the McLaren pays 1,100 baht insurance every month (or whatever amount the average driver pays).

Going further with your logic: buses should also not be allowed on the road anymore as they are normally valued over 1.5m baht, as well as trucks, and what about houses build close to the road? Maybe tear them down also in case you drive your car into one. And maybe remove all people from the road also, cause if you cripple a person with your car it can cost the insurance company a good 5-10m baht also for hospital bills.

What's so strange about the logic?  I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed on the road, but if you want to drive around in a million dollar toy, don't expect a guy making 300 baht a day to have enough insurance to cover your toy, even if he's at fault.  It's not a reasonable burden for the average driver. 

There are statutory minimums for insurance coverage (which are ridiculously low in LOS, BTW).  That allows people to drive legally with some level of insurance.  If you build a house close to the road- great -more power to you.  But it's pretty reasonable that you need to be responsible for insuring it against someone who makes 300 baht a day and has the legally mandated minimum $150 worth of liability insurance (okay, maybe it's more than $150- but it's still ridiculously low).

My concern is what happens when the insurance maxes out and the zillionaire wants to exact even more retribution from some poor schleppe (like me) who doesn't carry 30 million in liability insurance.  If it happens to you or me, they can keep us tied up in litigation for decades if they decide they want to make our lives miserable.  They can bankrupt either one of us because they want to show off their wealth by driving a stupid expensive automobile.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Netease said:

where did I defend speeding read my post again I said there was no proof of speeding, everyone's guilty in your eyes 

As I just wrote before you: clear orange colored signs indicating danger/construction ahead and reduce speed.

And I assume the race driver was not an unexperienced foreigner.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

if bought legally then alot of the mclarens come with a full on insurance and may well fly out a team of engineers with parts to get it back to the way the owner wanted it. i'm sure the P1's come with that service

Sounds plausible.

And for the time of repair the racer has to resort to his Ferrari :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My guess is that that is about two to three million baht in damage, if he had the work done at the dealer, who is probably the only one who could match the paint exactly. We are talking about 20 coats of paint. Body work on these super cars is ridiculously expensive. The real question is, other than pure ego gratification, and the feeling of thumbing your nose at EVERYBODY else, why would you drive one of these cars on the roads here, and why would you pay three times what other people pay in the rest of the world for the car to begin with? You really have to have stupid cash to do that, and perhaps not the highest self esteem?

true but doesn't stop me wanting  a black aston martin dbs though does it?? 555

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I  not only have a license but also some experience what the orange signs long before the accident say. Even can read Thai.

REDUCE SPEED!

Construction site ahead.

And some responsible drivers took note and slowed down.

yeah but I can't see how the sports cars caused the accident

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds plausible.

And for the time of repair the racer has to resort to his Ferrari :biggrin:

if he has anything like the garage i dream of then he'll be popping around in his range sv autobiography if he needs more space than the aston. keep it british even if they aren't british owned anymore. still made there and still producing world class luxury motors ; )

Was the vehicle a legal import?

Insured?

Paid for in full or on hire purchase, as are most vehicles?

Who does it belong to, and was the driver not wearimg amulets?

Thailand. A third world progressive country!!!

Cough!!!

To legally afford, run and insure a vehicle of such standing would, in my opinion, cost a lot of stang...

Hi-So lose of face.

Better pray to the spirit of cars.

Oh he got away with it with only a few scratches ? very lucky indeed, he shouldn’t be allowed to drive such a fast car without a proper driving test let alone drive altogether ! Saying that, money conquers it all, especially over here ??‍♂️

Nevertheless, why didnt he drive it on the bruriram circuit in order to have a proper go at it ?!

Learn to walk before’ running I’d say..

Years ago I was always complaining about how poor the braking ability of my (then) Fortuna was, which is basically just a pick-up with a lid on it.

I see this video and it supports my experience.  F1 cars and TukTuks and Bikes do not have the same metrics on a road, and accidents will happen...

37 minutes ago, Netease said:

whats it got to do with how a pickup stops I thought the driver controls how his pickup stops regardless of its condition

If the tires are not in contact with the road you not going to get a lot of braking affect ?

31 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

It's just one panel too; 'a lot of fuss about nothing' is correct 

Maybe a visit to Top Charoen Optical is in order....

It's not just one panel, but 3 - at least there are 3 visible ones - there could well be further damage behind those panels.

The massive rear quarter panel is creased above the wheel arch, the wrap around rear panel is damaged and appears that the aluminium has actually fractured at the rear edge, and the black rear valance also appears to have fractured to left of the rear light. Insurance companies don't usually assess on the basis of repairing damaged panels, or replacing with s\h parts but will assess on the cost of replacing any damaged parts with new ones. I'd take a guess that the huge rear quarter panel alone wound be £10 - £15k plus fitting and paint. This is easily going to be a 3M Baht bill.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shadychris said:

Maybe a visit to Top Charoen Optical is in order....

It's not just one panel, but 3 - at least there are 3 visible ones - there could well be further damage behind those panels.

The massive rear quarter panel is creased above the wheel arch, the wrap around rear panel is damaged and appears that the aluminium has actually fractured at the rear edge, and the black rear valance also appears to have fractured to left of the rear light. Insurance companies don't usually assess on the basis of repairing damaged panels, or replacing with s\h parts but will assess on the cost of replacing any damaged parts with new ones. I'd take a guess that the huge rear quarter panel alone wound be £10 - £15k plus fitting and paint. This is easily going to be a 3M Baht bill.

as mentioned earlier i think if bought legally mclaren will send people to fix it with the parts. that's no shitty car. thats proper.

there is one car on the market right now that would be a thai dream. just can't get any better

https://www.romansinternational.com/used-vehicle-details/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-U8072/?Make=Land Rover

one day 5555

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you are right. this happens to me on my motorcycle all the time with little waves and clicks racing past me to prove they can.

It's OK. Always a nice view of their girlfriend. :clap2:

Sorry NCC1701A , I missed read , I thought you said ....little waves and pricks racing past me.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Oh he got away with it with only a few scratches ? very lucky indeed, he shouldn’t be allowed to drive such a fast car without a proper driving test let alone drive altogether ! Saying that, money conquers it all, especially over here ??‍♂️

Nevertheless, why didnt he drive it on the bruriram circuit in order to have a proper go at it ?!

Learn to walk before’ running I’d say..

Tell me what the McLaren driver did to deserve being rear ended by an incompetent fool? If the car is licenced and roadworthy he has as much right to be on the road as anyone else.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Nor, apparently, was the McLaren's driver.

Tell me how the McLaren driver was responsible? He braked in time unlike the pickup driver. The guy who hit him from the rear is 100% to blame.

• Like 1

In North America, the value drops about 1/3 off the sticker price once the car hits the road.  Does anyone know what the drop is here.

Also, I am willing to bet that a bank is now trying to get ahold of the owner.  Ther person driving this I am willing to bet DID NOT OWN IT.  They like people that have a house had an agreement to make payments to the bank for the ability to drive it.

People talk about the pickup having lax brakes you forget that they are made to be driven at a safe speed and distance.  This is something that most people Thai and others do not understand.

Does anyone here know what the 3-second rule is?  

How many Thais do you think know it?