PM Prayut tours Bangkok for first-hand look at traffic gridlock

webfact

16 hours ago, kotsak said:

Did they chauffeur him around in a convoy stopping commoners so he can pass through? That would help him assess the problem, not.

Exactly!!!!!!! And don't forget that poverty will be eliminated by February's election too.    Is it time to say (again). "You can't make this stuff up"?   Oh Dear!!!

• Like 1

Just electioneering B.S.!

And if B.S. was tarseal they would pave a four lane highway to the Moon and back. :thumbsup:

I recall the Bangkok Governor made that same statement 2 or 3 years ago!

Seems they are all tarred with the same brush - let's say something so that people will think we are going to make an improvement. Outcome = nothing changes!

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

If you look at the cars in Bangkok, they nearly all have one person in them. Thats the first problem to address.  Some cities ban single occupant cars in city areas.

Name ten and how much it costs to enforce the law. Singapore a tiny quasi fascist city state does so but not many others.

3 minutes ago, kamahele said:

I think there is a better chance of turning water into wine than solving the traffic problems in 3 months.

Correct, because we know of someone who managed to achieve the former but noone has managed to achieve the latter. ?

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

If you look at the cars in Bangkok, they nearly all have one person in them. Thats the first problem to address.  Some cities ban single occupant cars in city areas.

Great idea! Most US cities have car pool lanes which requires a minimum of 2-3 riders in a vehicle.  They are allowed to drive in a special designated lane. Many cities arrange websites and set up meetings for prospective ride sharing partners.  Might not be perfect but its better than nothing!

8 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

Great idea! Most US cities have car pool lanes which requires a minimum of 2-3 riders in a vehicle.  They are allowed to drive in a special designated lane. Many cities arrange websites and set up meetings for prospective ride sharing partners.  Might not be perfect but its better than nothing!

AFAIK (because I use that road often), Rama 3 has a HOV lane marked with a rhombus (diamond) sign on the ground but it has never been enforced. Yes, TIT I know. ?

image.png.3fcff53233785481220898917e8bfb08.png

Edited by kotsak
  • Like 1

Slightly off this particular topic but it is to do with traffic and running red lights.

How's about parking a tank at each set of lights and when a red light runner shoots through blasting them to Kingdom Come?

I know there might be a little collateral damage but put that down to friendly fire and give 500Baht compo per vehicle.

On the subject of vehicles that don't stop at ped crossings, buy your own personal stinger, when you want to cross throw it out and wait for the vehicles to come to a grinding halt then go across folding your stinger up as you do so ready for the next time you want to cross.

Hands up those that think both are worth a try.

• Like 1

He needs to get down to Ramkhamhaeng, Srinakarin and Ladprao area where they are building BTS and MRT at the same time. My office is surround by bloody road works on three sides. Very poor planning or lack of it and a complete lack of care about the effects on motorists or locals.

23 minutes ago, kotsak said:

AFAIK (because I use that road often), Rama 3 has a HOV lane marked with a rhombus (diamond) sign on the ground but it has never been enforced. Yes, TIT I know. ?

image.png.3fcff53233785481220898917e8bfb08.png

Yes you've got a point!  We'd need a working police force to make it work. 

Many cities use special moveable lane dividers which have limited entrances (and exits) which would have to be monitored to ensure compliance.  It could work but it would cost quite a bit of money!

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha went on a tour of Bangkok city today to observe first-hand the capital’s traffic problems

Many years ago the late Belgian queen visited Thailand, and while travelling through Bangkok traffic, she told embassy staff that she was surprised about the smooth traffic situation because she was told it was a nightmare.

47 minutes ago, kamahele said:

I think there is a better chance of turning water into wine than solving the traffic problems in 3 months.

I can turn wine into water and I am NOT a chemist. :smile:

But a whine? Nah.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Many years ago the late Belgian queen visited Thailand, and while travelling through Bangkok traffic, she told embassy staff that she was surprised about the smooth traffic situation because she was told it was a nightmare.

What comic were you reading?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

What's your reading problem?

This is first hand information from embassy staff.

Don't know if they told her that traffic was halted for her.

? I didn't realise you were only joking. I thought you must believe what happened.

• Sad 1

He could start by ordering more rail cars and more frequent trains.  And, eliminating the toll booths on Bangkok roads.  If the toll booths can't be eliminated, at least expand the easy pass lanes--with some toll booths there is only one and at some you have to cut across several lanes to get to it.