New passport - should I transfer the extension right away?

I’m on a yearly marriage based extension that will need to be renewed in october.

Just got my new passport yesterday (old one would expire in january). Do I need to transfer the extension stamp to the new one asap? Do I have to do it at all? I’m not planning to leave the country before getting the next extension

In early October i must apply for the new extension anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I'd wait until you apply for your extension in October and do the two together.

There is no hard and fast rule on time limits to transfer the stamps.

The only drawback is the need to carry both passports if you intended to travel beforehand.

• Like 1

If using a immigration office that has different desk for stamp transfers and extensions it might be worthwhile to do the stamp transfer before applying for the extension.
After getting the stamps transfered you have to get copies of the transferred stamps in your new passport done before applying for the extension.

Yes, there are different desks. Better take care of the transfers first then.

So it doesn’t matter if I do this transfer today or late september? Assuming I’m not traveling.

Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

So it doesn’t matter if I do this transfer today or late september? Assuming I’m not traveling.

You can do it at anytime.

But for convenience it might be best to do it soon since you will need both passports anytime you need to do something that requires a passport. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Travel is not a problem, just bring both passports along. I did that for one year until my subsequent extension which is as others said the best time to do also the transfer.

My preference would be to do the stamp transfer instead of having to use both passports for the first departure and entry to the country. At most offices it does not take that long to get the transfer done.

When I renewed my passport I timed it shortly before my extension was due and did both at the same time. Both were done by the same officer which made it easy.

• Like 1

you need to do it right away. Your embassy should have given you a letter addressed to Immigration asking them to move your extension to your new passport (required by immigration). If I remember correctly you are supposed to do by law within 2 weeks. Your old passport is no longer valid. Regardless, the letter from your embassy has a date on it. Immigration does not like 'stale' (docs with not recent dates on it) documents. If you wait, they may or may not give you a hard time, its up to the immigration officer. Why create issues with immigration???????

Edited by Rama

14 minutes ago, Rama said:

Your embassy should have given you a letter addressed to Immigration asking them to move your extension to your new passport (required by immigration).

So what happens if you renewed it on a visit to your home Country.

15 minutes ago, Rama said:

If I remember correctly you are supposed to do by law within 2 weeks.

No such law or timeframe exists.

16 minutes ago, Rama said:

Your old passport is no longer valid.

True, but any Visas, extension stamps are still valid until expiry.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 12:18 PM, Tanoshi said:

So what happens if you renewed it on a visit to your home Country.

No such law or timeframe exists.

True, but any Visas, extension stamps are still valid until expiry.

The letter was only for renewals in Thailand as some form of validity and not always required, never asked for mine. If you had renewed in your home country you would already have an entry stamp, meaning the passport was already in use by immigration.

Would agree with your other points.