Jump to content

New Bangkok Bank Debit Card


Recommended Posts

Re the OP's original question, here's what UnionPay says:

 

Quote

Countries and regions where cash withdrawal by UnionPay cards are available

ATMs that accept UnionPay cards are mainly located in the following countries and regions:
...
Europe: France, Germany, Britain, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Turkey, Russia, Monaco, San Marino, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, etc.

 

Quote

How to Identify ATMs that Accept UnionPay Cards?

All ATMs with UnionPay logo 361745.png accept UnionPay cards. Due to the practice of some countries, UnionPay logo may only be shown on the screens of ATMs, which requires cardholders’ particular attention. Some ATMs may not have put up the UnionPay logo, you can judge from the logos of cooperative institutions on ATMs. Cardholders can inquire the logos of local banks in the corresponding country atGlobal UnionPay Card”.

 

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/serviceCenter/cardUsingInstructions/813.shtml

 

Although, it probably would be more helpful if UP had a list or database somewhere that showed which specific banks/banking companies accept their debit cards on a country by country basis.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good solution for those who have existing Bangkok Bank accounts but need the old VISA debit flexibility. Can you tell us what the Kasikorn Bank in KK needed from you to open the new account? Most banks appear to be enforcing the need for a Work Permit.

As I do not speak Thai I had my wife with me and the paperwork that I took was a copy of my passport and Visa page, a copy of our wedding certificate, copy of wifes ID and a copy of my wifes house book. We walked in with that paperwork and filled in the bank paperwork and paid 700baht to open the savings account and 300baht for the Visa card and was given a pin number in an envelope which one of the girls took me to the ATM and put the card in and the pin number and then she got me to put in a 6 digit pin number so that it would link to that card. I walked out of the bank with a passbook with 700baht in it and a Visa Debit card with a 6 digit pin number that is accepted all around the would at ATM's and store purchases and online buying. So simple. No Work Permit as I am too old for one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re the OP's original question, here's what UnionPay says:

 

 

 

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/serviceCenter/cardUsingInstructions/813.shtml

 

Although, it probably would be more helpful if UP had a list or database somewhere that showed which specific banks/banking companies accept their debit cards on a country by country basis.

 

It is not only the banks that will not accept Union Pay at the moment but a lot of retail businesses as well. I think the BKK Bank jumped the gun with not issueing anymore Visa Debit Cards until Union Pay had established everything correctly through out the world then they could have phased out the Visa card, I know a lot of unhappy BKK Bank customers who are closing their accounts with the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re the OP's original question, here's what UnionPay says:

 

 

 

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/serviceCenter/cardUsingInstructions/813.shtml

 

Although, it probably would be more helpful if UP had a list or database somewhere that showed which specific banks/banking companies accept their debit cards on a country by country basis.

 

It is not only the banks that will not accept Union Pay at the moment but a lot of retail businesses as well. I think the BKK Bank jumped the gun with not issueing anymore Visa Debit Cards until Union Pay had established everything correctly through out the world then they could have phased out the Visa card, I know a lot of unhappy BKK Bank customers who are closing their accounts with the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this UnionPay website that appears to allow searches for their cooperating ATMs globally...

 

https://www.unionpayintl.com/cardholderServ/serviceCenter/atm

 

When I entered a search term "Germany," I got virtually nothing in the way of German banks.

 

But I did find this announcement from UnionPay and Deutsche Bank from a few years ago. Dunno if it's still valid today:

 

Quote

UnionPay International announced today it reached cooperation with Deutsche Bank and its ATM service provider EVO to enable UnionPay card (card number starting with 62) acceptance by all the ATMs under Deutsche Bank in Germany. The latest development will see the local ATM acceptance of UnionPay cards rise to over 60% to provide more convenient card-using experience for cardholders in Germany for travel, business and study.

https://www.unionpayintl.com/en/mediaCenter/newsCenter/companyNews/3005614.shtml

 

When I entered a search term "Italy." I got a ton of Italian bank listings...

 

When I entered a search term "Austria," I got results with the following message:
 

Quote

 

Currently, all ATMs in Austria accept cash withdrawal with UnionPay cards. ATM Locator Website: https://www.bankomatfinder.at/en

 

 

And the same UnionPay announcement above re Deutsche Bank includes the follow excerpt re Austria:

 

Quote

In the European market, UnionPay cards are accepted by almost all the ATMs in Britain, Switzerland and Austria.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of Asia I found in US a few places mainly Vegas where Union pay already accepted. In Europe I never saw an UnionPay sign.
 
I would guess in a few years it's maybe good usable in Europe too.. but at the moment hmmmmmmmm
I saw Union Pay signs in Austria, Hungary and Turkey both in retailers and a couple of ATM’s earlier this month, I don’t know if they actually worked but I wasn’t particularly watching.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And I'll just add, before I finally was able to cajole a new VISA card out of BKKB with the help of a friendly manager, I was told straight to my face by a half dozen or so different BKKB staff members in different places that the bank was simply no longer issuing the VISA debit cards anymore -- which obviously is simply not true.

Good update. Member JLCrab recently posted that he obtained a new BB VISA debit card about 5 months ago and the pdf file describing the BB VISA debit card, the application process and annual fees is still posted on BB's website.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

As I do not speak Thai I had my wife with me and the paperwork that I took was a copy of my passport and Visa page, a copy of our wedding certificate, copy of wifes ID and a copy of my wifes house book. We walked in with that paperwork and filled in the bank paperwork and paid 700baht to open the savings account and 300baht for the Visa card and was given a pin number in an envelope which one of the girls took me to the ATM and put the card in and the pin number and then she got me to put in a 6 digit pin number so that it would link to that card. I walked out of the bank with a passbook with 700baht in it and a Visa Debit card with a 6 digit pin number that is accepted all around the would at ATM's and store purchases and online buying. So simple. No Work Permit as I am too old for one.

Another good update, thanks. New Thai bank accounts for foreigners that do not have a work permit are still possible. Admittedly, not as easy as before but with a bit of preparation, patience and freindly cooperation, it can still be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The older machines will only read Visa or Mastercard cards and not Union Pay. It has nothing to do with the pin numbers being 4 or 6 digit. It is with the reading of the chip or the magnetic strip because it all comes down to the actual card number. Some places you go to as soon as you put the first 4 digits of the card number in the machine it will tell you if it is a Visa Card or Mastercard so it must be a coding in the actual card numbers. The older machines will only read Visa cards or Mastercards numbers and it is going to take a long time to change over all the machines in the world so that they will read Union Pay cards. My advice would be that if you have a Union Pay card then open another bank account that has either Visa or Mastercards until all machines are changed.

No probs ,I already had an other banks visa card

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

List on  what countries accept Union Pay Debit Card

 

http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/serviceCenter/cardUsingInstructions/821.shtml

 

 

Meaningless.  If just a single outlet accepts the card it will appear on that list.

 

If you search for ATMs in the UK which accept the card (elsewhere on the site) the result is a resounding zero.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Oxx said:

 

Meaningless.  If just a single outlet accepts the card it will appear on that list.

 

If you search for ATMs in the UK which accept the card (elsewhere on the site) the result is a resounding zero.

santander uk said their atm will accept when i contacted them

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ATMs of Deutsche Bank in Germany have a "Union Pay" Logo at their front. Looks like they accept the cards. But I did not try it with the new Bangkok Bank Debit card.

 

HTH,

 

Greenie

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I like many others  have been caught in the Bangkok Bank debit card fiasco. I only recently was given the new card and was unaware it was no longer verified by visa. I only became aware when my Adobe CC and Netflix accounts that I had previously paid with the debit card  monthly stopped working.

 

Of course if I had looked closely at the card I would have been aware or indeed read some of the threads here.......but I didn't!

 

I have read lots of pages here  and  the consensus seems to be to change bank. Well I use internet banking a lot and overall have been satisfied with the Bangkok Bank site and service. So this being the land of work-arounds my question is simple.

 

Is there a workaround where I do not have to set up a new bank account but can still enjoy my Netflix and Adobe cc because my bills are paid every month!! I would also like to continue shopping at Lazada too.

 

If the answer is buried in one of the threads here I apologise and can someone point me too it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like many others  have been caught in the Bangkok Bank debit card fiasco. I only recently was given the new card and was unaware it was no longer verified by visa. I only became aware when my Adobe CC and Netflix accounts that I had previously paid with the debit card  monthly stopped working.
 
Of course if I had looked closely at the card I would have been aware or indeed read some of the threads here.......but I didn't!
 
I have read lots of pages here  and  the consensus seems to be to change bank. Well I use internet banking a lot and overall have been satisfied with the Bangkok Bank site and service. So this being the land of work-arounds my question is simple.
 
Is there a workaround where I do not have to set up a new bank account but can still enjoy my Netflix and Adobe cc because my bills are paid every month!! I would also like to continue shopping at Lazada too.
 
If the answer is buried in one of the threads here I apologise and can someone point me too it.

Bangkok Bank recently revamped its website. If you do a bit of searching you will find that it still advertises Be1st Smart, Smart Rabbit and Smart Rabbit Siriraj VISA cards. However each comes with a Joining Fee and Annual Fee. There is also a statement that you can only use these cards until 2019 (no exact date given). These are the only Bangkok Bank options that work on-line. So in answer to your question, I cannot see a workaround that will last further than some time in 2019.


Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Aquaman2016 said:


Bangkok Bank recently revamped its website. If you do a bit of searching you will find that it still advertises Be1st Smart, Smart Rabbit and Smart Rabbit Siriraj VISA cards. However each comes with a Joining Fee and Annual Fee. There is also a statement that you can only use these cards until 2019 (no exact date given). These are the only Bangkok Bank options that work on-line. So in answer to your question, I cannot see a workaround that will last further than some time in 2019.


Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Many thanks, yes my original Visa card expired in 2019 but I recently had to change it(not working in ATM). I have managed to find a way to keep my Adobe and Netflix accounts funded, in the first case via my UK bank account and the 2nd through Paypal again linked to my UK Visa card. In both cases I had to start new accounts.....so lots of messing about thanks to the good old BB.

 

I shall probably get a new local account at Kasikorn.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aquaman2016 said:


Bangkok Bank recently revamped its website. If you do a bit of searching you will find that it still advertises Be1st Smart, Smart Rabbit and Smart Rabbit Siriraj VISA cards. However each comes with a Joining Fee and Annual Fee. There is also a statement that you can only use these cards until 2019 (no exact date given). These are the only Bangkok Bank options that work on-line. So in answer to your question, I cannot see a workaround that will last further than some time in 2019.


Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Worrying news about 2019. My BB Rabbit VISA Debit Card clearly states "Good thru 01/22". If it is not, can I sue BB for breach of contract? Because of other problems with my BB card I now have an additional VISA Debit Card with Krungsri Bank (new account). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...