Police shakedowns are the main reason I never returned

OnMyWay2

The sad part is that so many of you people have out up with this sort of corrupted crap for so long that you blame the messenger.    It's all you guys who have lived  in Thailand and been traveling to  Thailand for decades who have ruined Thailand for the rest of us newbies.    You put up with police checkpoints, immigration Bull <deleted>,  taxi ripoffs, overpaying and over tipping and this is now what Thailand is.   It's a direct result of your actions and inactions.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

I don't view police road block checks as much a "shakedown" as misguided police strategy.

In the West we have police giving  moving violation tickets from active patrolling of the streets with the common police roadblock checks at major holidays for drunk driving.

Here, they simply have the roadblock checks. No moving violation tickets.

Of course many police are pocketing the money but I've been in the wrong and handed over the exact same fine money as a Thai and was given a receipt.

I don't think we are being "shook down" but I live up north, not Pattaya so could very well missed something. I've been pulled over 3 times in 6 years.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I don't view police road block checks as much a "shakedown" as misguided police strategy.

In the West we have police giving  moving violation tickets from active patrolling of the streets with the common police roadblock checks at major holidays for drunk driving.

Here, they simply have the roadblock checks. No moving violation tickets.

Of course many police are pocketing the money but I've been in the wrong and handed over the exact same fine money as a Thai and was given a receipt.

I don't think we are being "shook down" but I live up north, not Pattaya so could very well missed something. I've been pulled over 3 times in 6 years.

Shaken not stirred is the way forward plus two receipt books 5555555

17 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Its quite difficult to understand why some of our members take even the slightest criticism of Thailand as a personal affront 

Can you understand why some posters cannot understand why the OP took such drastic action over such a minor matter ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Can you understand why some posters cannot understand why the OP took such drastic action over such a minor matter ?

In one of the OP's previous posts he was talking about buying a scooter without a plate.Maybe that was his problem with the BIB?

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 2:39 PM, 55Jay said:

It thrives on being broken.  Some guys from sterilized nanny states can't handle the grime and dysfunction.  Some can.   Hell, some even like it.   More power to them.

OK then, bye in 3, 2, 1.  Blast off!   ?

So true about sterile Nanny states. But that doesn't explain why so many Aussies are in a permanent strip.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Perhaps its not just a minor matter to him have you considered that for one moment

We are not all the same now are we, what troubles some is laughed off by others we are a mixed bag us lot the members of the human race

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Not really, if their tea money runs out they will always find a reason.

lived here 18 years for the first 10 years no problem about anything.

things change and i was getting pulled every other day so i needed and did get a licence since then no problems been pulled 2 or 3 times showed everything they wanted and was on my way. easy peasey.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

The sad part is that so many of you people have out up with this sort of corrupted crap for so long that you blame the messenger.    It's all you guys who have lived  in Thailand and been traveling to  Thailand for decades who have ruined Thailand for the rest of us newbies.    You put up with police checkpoints, immigration Bull <deleted>,  taxi ripoffs, overpaying and over tipping and this is now what Thailand is.   It's a direct result of your actions and inactions.  

Be the change you want to happen! Set an example or stop whinging and run back to mummy.

• Haha 1

What I find ironic is the amount of posters decrying our "nanny states" back home.

Then complaining about Thai traffic deaths.

Complaining about construction safety, no hardhats or work boots.

B1tching about poor restaurant hygiene.

Poor wiring in our houses.

Poor customer service.

Corrupt police and immigration.

The list goes on and on and on......

I love living here, but I'm going to stand up and say I don't condone everything about it.

One poster suggested we do do something about it.

Ain't gonna happen,

• Like 2

I’ve been here 2 year 8 months. Stopped many times for DL / Registration Check. Not once was it a shakedown I did have

go pay two fines during that period 1 helmet 200 baht (my fault) 1 ran red light which was borderline but 500 baht

all in all nothing to complain about. .......enjoy wherever your staying

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Not to you it wasn"t as the OP claims to actually have had a Thai DL

Then again perhaps you are that "challenged" that you have forgotten what you Posted

I dont want to assume you have deliberately forgotten

If OP actually had Thai DL then he must be of those village idiots to get fined for nothing , providing of course he wore a helmet and had tax in order.

but naturally all of the above is way to complex for you to comprehend so best to jump on retard wagon and whine about nothing 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Pimps and tricks, pushers and hucksters. 

4 decades ago! Or somebody with a rich fantasy life. Or who has never been to Pattaya as the above designated characters from American criminal milieu don't exist in Pattaya.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

If OP actually had Thai DL then he must be of those village idiots to get fined for nothing , providing of course he wore a helmet and had tax in order.

but naturally all of the above is way to complex for you to comprehend so best to jump on retard wagon and whine about nothing 

If you dont read the whole of the thread and put yourself in the know then you will put you foot in it continuously 

You made the mistake own it, after all you really are not unique most of us err at times I will certainly make one

Its another day I shall now breast forward, I hope you have a good one

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, OnMyWay2 said:

Police motorbike shakedowns.  Everyone knows what I'm talking about.  Every time I think of spending some time in Thailand it's the first thing that comes to mind...and I'm like.  yeah Thanks but I'll pass.

I lived in Pattaya for a year.  Almost bought my own condo there even.  But I guess they would rather have the 500 bhat shakedown money. Than for me to buy an 80k dollar condo...

I know there will be someone who says well if you'd just obey the laws...yeah, that's BS when the "laws" only apply to foreigners and not the Thai people.

So I never came back...

Sorry these posts are against the rules but I thought I might as well throw it out there in case anyone ever does a "what's wrong with Thailand" post mortem.

I have to disagree with you 100%. I lived here over 7 years, I go past check points every day, they never stop me unless I forget to put a helmet on. A few years ago, yes thay targeted the farang, but now Thai's, taxi drivers and anyone they think might not be legal. In NZ they are 50 times worse for stopping and checking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

I don't know how long you've been here Hoss-but not long enough to see that constructive criticism, what some call complaining has zero effect on what these folks continually do wrong. For example I went up to City Hall complaining about these lowlife locals riding motorbikes  on the beach "walk"

14 hours ago, Elkski said:

I find disheartening that anyone attacks the OP.  whether he has moved away or not posted for a decade what difference does it make when he speaks the truth.  everyone that lives in Thailand where I spent any time and tile and knows he speaks the truth so why do you attack the OP.  I'm a come back to this thread and block every F and one of you guys who said anything negative to the o p.   Everyone just needs to start trying to fix Thailand or it is hopelessly lost. 

You can start by blocking me as you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about and apparently aren't smart enough to figure out what is the truth and what isn't. You've got your opinion and are arrogant enough that you threaten to block anyone who expresses their own opinion.

Please, please, please block me.

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

The messenger is full of **** (in my opinion) and (in my opinion) most likely was the main cause of his own problems. If you actually read all the posts in this thread then you'd know that the majority of people, that actually live here, do not have any problems but then again, most of them obey the rules.

• Like 1