Thailand sees drop in Chinese visitors after tourist boat disaster

snoop1130

Why go at this time of year, other than it's cheaper? Come high season or at least by next year this boat tragedy will have been forgotten and it will be back to business as usual, unfortunately as the Chinese en masses are awful, but then so are many other nationalities!

yes, just imgaine if bill gates pointed this out to thailand

you don't give a shit about tourists, but you care about 15 boys in a cave, only becasue of the internaitonal attention.

Thailand gives a shit about anyones safety, but don't let it put a downer on its image as a haven for sex tourists

those will still come any way

so its the real people it should be concentrating on

Wow. Fewer Chinese tourists. Very disappointing. Hope the Thai govt is really willing to improve matters. Now if we can just get some reaction to the Koh Tao murders and rapes. Maybe if there were Chinese tourists being raped and killed the threshold of consciousness would be met.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Virat Chatturaputpitak, vice president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, said '...

"They'll return in October," ...'

Nothing like misplaced optimism to keep the spirits up. 

Edited by Jonmarleesco

"This is the lowest point in my 20 years working with the Chinese," said Apicharn Pasomsap, an airport transfer operator who caters to Chinese tour groups.

This is Utter Bull !!! The Chinese started to come to Thailand in great numbers after the Movie "Lost In Thailand from 2012 became a hit in China !!! before that you virtually saw no Chinese in groups !!!!

4 hours ago, sitti said:

Wasn't that boat owned and operated by Chinese? Only the paperwork was in Thai names.

Anywho, Brits keep coming back despite of numerous boycott callings in the past. So will Chinese.

I believe that in the last 5 years there has been a decline in UK visitors of around 40% !

2 hours ago, The Teacher said:

?? One minute the Tourism minister say's number will increase largely due to the increase of Chinese Tourists. Was he badly quoted or purely told what to say, Like all politicians you never know when there silent or telling lies? 

Don't be silly - you do know when they're telling lies - their mouths are opening and closing! ?

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of resignations would be tendered, if these people had a shred of pride. 

From my POV and what I have read the main reason the Chinese visitor numbers dropped substantially, was due to "watchman" and his comments that they had only themselves to blame, social media picked up on this and it went ballistic in China.

Chinese are used to dealing with tragedy in all its forms, but insulting their nationalism, which he did is unforgivable !

Doubt he will resign over this - pride? - no, the man just doesn't have a shred of human decency ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

Chinese are used to dealing with tragedy in all its forms, but insulting their nationalism, which he did is unforgivable !

So in that respect, they're just like the Thais?

Just now, CGW said:

Controlled? yes, off course, Chinese are a lot better at it though..................

I actually meant nationalistic and jingoistic but controlled........indeed.

30 minutes ago, CGW said:

was due to "watchman" and his comments that they had only themselves to blame, social media picked up on this and it went ballistic in China

but he said he  was sorry...so its all ok now !!?

I would love to see some real analysis of tourism except just numbers arriving. How much is the value of each Chinese tourist? To me they seem to travel the country in coaches, they invade a hotel each evening, shouting and banging doors so no other guest can sleep, then in the morning they raid all the food in the buffet and it is off to the next stop. Presumably the hotel rooms they occupy are heavily discounted and given the massive amount of food they purloin there cannot be too much profit for the hotel owner....maybe the profit is for the coach owner and the gas stations? The Chinese certainly do seem to be in the shops buying stuff, although they do block up all the pavements and somehow all seem to take back massive boxes of stuff thereby blocking up the lines at the airports. I would be quite happy with no Chinese tourists thank you very much.

• Like 1

As all over Thailand safety and secure travelling is not provided as nobody responsible cares about it i hope less and less visitors are coming to Thailand and avoid some islands run just b a mafia or killers group and police is involved to the deepest in this country!!!!!!!!!

Can't imagine still people go there !

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The number of hotel rooms in Phuket taken by Chinese in July and August has been 30 percent lower than usual, according to the Thai Hotels Association.

Well the number of Chinese in the likes of Big C and Jungceylon here in Patong seems to have increased!!! 

I also know (because I see it) that many of them are not staying in the larger hotels, but in the Guest house type accommodation, so whatever the Hotel Association says can certainly be skewed by this.

Tried to clip one with my wing mirror today when a group were walking on a narrow road three abreast...…...stupid, noisy, ignorant people, and I'm not racist, just telling it like it is!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In nearly any nation on earth, he would resign in disgrace, and it would be a national scandal, that the tiny, brainless, nitwit, numskull, non visionary creton blamed another nation, for the wrongdoings, and recklessness of his own people. Here? No resignation will be demanded, as this administration has about as much pride as the Trump administration. Anything goes. Corruption? No problem. Incompetence? No problem. No skills, talent, or plan? No problem. Admitting that you are to blame for a large problem that you caused? Falling on your own sword out of pride? Never, and again no problem. 

I think you just described all those in government everywhere & anywhere! all the while the cartels & corporations sit in the background watching their elected officials keep the wage slaves in control and keep the money rolling in ?

Lots of "smoke & mirrors" in this world, divide and rule - heard that before ? anything allowed as long as it achieves the end result, seems to be working...............

11 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Chinese tourist numbers are down huh....finally some good news.

Now if we come only see these numbers drop, significantly, regarding other groups....that would be the real plus/benefit.

Heaven.

When the event of the sinking took place, many people on this forum predicted there would be a backlash by the Chinese tourists cancelling their trips.  The governing bodies of the Thai tourist boards and associations denied there would be any loss of tourists.  It has taken them a long time to turn their denial around and accept those postings statements.

'nuf sed  

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand can not afford losing the chinese tourist.  They are banking on it.  The chinese property and business venture investor in thailand can not afford to lose chinese tourists, they are banking on it.  

Edited by Nowisee

2 minutes ago, manchega said:

I spoke to a fair few Chinese friends, all very disappointed that on one hand the world is helping with some kids stuck in a hole

on the other hands Thai government shitting on Chinese people, basically because they are racist

"some kids stuck in a hole"

That shows which mast you are pinning your colours to....