No amount of alcohol is good for your overall health, global study says

webfact

Whatever happened to the supposed medical advice that a glass of wine per day is good for one's cardiovascular health?

From this latest CNN report:

"The most surprising finding was that even small amounts of alcohol use contribute to health loss globally," said senior study author Emmanuela Gakidou, a professor at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. "We're used to hearing that a drink or two a day is fine. But the evidence is the evidence."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Whatever happened to the supposed medical advice that a glass of wine per day is good for one's cardiovascular health?

Fink the bloke that wrote this stuff was a biased teetotaler....:drunk:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai beers give me a steady headache after 2  small bottles....European natural brewed beers don't do that.

So i guess it can't be healthy to drink Thai beer if it hurts my brains so bad.

I  too have a ''beer migraine trigger'' ..i so miss a pint of Guinness now and then,but i don't take the chance anymore,as the migrains are too fierce

When the consequences of a lifetimes "focused" drinking really start to kick in the individuals concerned seem to change their attitude dramatically.

When it happens it happens quite quickly.

I've been seeing a lot of that over the past decade as old acquaintances fall foul of it.

None of them (RIP) have been anywhere near average life expectancy.

They seem quite surprised and fearful that it's actually happening to them.

Except for the hard core, self-administering, "anaesthetists".

It's the apex of their "career".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Try a few beers AND some wine.  The grape and the grain.  ?

Will do , must admit usually stick to wine ( these days costs an absolute fortune ) 

I have a case of Leo somewhere and couple of cases of Malbec - my favourite tipple - will report back .

Was always told Port is the worst - but saving that for Christmas lunch - 1400 baht a bottle - it’s insane . 

Just now, peterb17 said:

Will do , must admit usually stick to wine ( these days costs an absolute fortune ) 

I have a case of Leo somewhere and couple of cases of Malbec - my favourite tipple - will report back .

Was always told Port is the worst - but saving that for Christmas lunch - 1400 baht a bottle - it’s insane . 

LOL.  Never mix the grape and the grain. 

Hang overs aren't fun.  You're not missing anything. 

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

LOL.  Never mix the grape and the grain. 

Hang overs aren't fun.  You're not missing anything. 

Messing about a bit , but over dinner with friends  can certainly get through a lot of wine - seem OK the next day.

What happens to my liver I don’t think about ( as I taught Human anatomy and physiology and molecular cell biology for 20yrs ) it’s not good! 

Oh well , you only have one life and I have no wish to live into my 90’s

You never know what is around the corner . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

No beer, no smoking, no nufink now in our iPhone world.......We will all live in plastic bags from birth soon.....

Now I wonder how I can tell my forefathers that lived well into their 80/90's they could have lived longer if they didn't drink, smoke and did nufink but had an iPhone...?

possibly one of the the reasons they lived into their 80/90s was they didn't have to listen to all the crap we have to on a daily basis ? 

More scaremongering ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Messing about a bit , but over dinner with friends  can certainly get through a lot of wine - seem OK the next day.

What happens to my liver I don’t think about ( as I taught Human anatomy and physiology and molecular cell biology for 20yrs ) it’s not good! 

Oh well , you only have one life and I have no wish to live into my 90’s

You never know what is around the corner . 

I thought I detected a light heartedness in your comment but sometimes it gets lost in text. 

Agreed.  I've recently made an effort to cut back on frequency and quantity of alcohol consumption.  I was becoming a fixture at one or two of the locals and in moments of critical self-awareness, didn't like what I saw.  And hangovers aren't any fun either, it was tiresome.  ?

Happy sipping!  Cheers, J.

• Like 1

No beer, no smoking, no nufink now in our iPhone world.......We will all live in plastic bags from birth soon.....

Now I wonder how I can tell my forefathers that lived well into their 80/90's they could have lived longer if they didn't drink, smoke and did nufink but had an iPhone...?

"Now I wonder how I can tell my forefathers that lived well into their 80/90's"  

The food was much healthier, people fertilized the crops with manure, not so-called magic chemicals, which in fact are just poison to bring dollars back to mafia manufacturers, the crops soils were richer because not at all over-exploited like today, the fruits and vegetables were full of vitamins. The cows in the meadows were eating grass and not crap pills in their prison-like stables, the farmers did not feed them antibiotics, ditto for chickens!

Much less pollution everywhere, Roundup's Monsanto mess did not exist yet.

The oceans were not full of mercury and the fish not poisoned! :coffee1:

• Thanks 2

Really? Here's a graph that shows how much life expectancy has increased for people aged 65 and older. It's especially revealing because it eliminates the effects of infant and child mortality. If those were included, life expectancy in previous times would look a lot worse:

Figure 4-3: Period expectation of life at age 65 according to mortality rates experienced in given years, 1912â2012, United Kingdom

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections/compendium/nationalpopulationprojections/2014-03-28/chapter4mortality2012basednppreferencevolume

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"Now I wonder how I can tell my forefathers that lived well into their 80/90's"  

The food was much healthier, people fertilized the crops with manure, not so-called magic chemicals, which in fact are just poison to bring dollars back to mafia manufacturers, the crops soils were richer because not at all over-exploited like today, the fruits and vegetables were full of vitamins. The cows in the meadows were eating grass and not crap pills in their prison-like stables, the farmers did not feed them antibiotics, ditto for chickens!

Much less pollution everywhere, Roundup's Monsanto mess did not exist yet.

The oceans were not full of mercury and the fish not poisoned! :coffee1:

We've actually never had it so good.

For the past history of man, people were mostly hungry, diseased and decimated by wars.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Really? Here's a graph that shows how much life expectancy has increased for people aged 65 and older. It's especially revealing because it eliminates the effects of infant and child mortality. If those were included, life expectancy in previous times would look a lot worse:

Not sure that graph means anything,

In these modern days we kill more in the womb than ever died in childhood.

Most of my pals have already died aged 50-70, I only know 1 guy that's made it past 70.

Wouldn't put it past the government and pensions people to fake statistics showing longer lives, in order to justify reduced or delayed pensions.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure that graph means anything,

In these modern days we kill more in the womb than ever died in childhood.

Most of my pals have already died aged 50-70, I only know 1 guy that's made it past 70.

Wouldn't put it past the government and pensions people to fake statistics showing longer lives, in order to justify reduced or delayed pensions.

Sure. A massive conspiracy to post fake statistics. I guess that's reasonable. If you're living in denial.

7 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Nobody told me to stop with alcohol, but I stopped anyway about 5 years ago. I can tell you I don't feel bloody miserable at al, on the contrary I feel much better and enjoy much more activities ten before, but it's every bodies own  choise.

Agree. Done same long years ago. 

To cut it all short, I quote my uncle, who was a well-respected radiologist in Africa, and died quickly and painlessly at 80ish,

"Moderation in all things. A little of what you fancy does you good, and two well-watered whiskies of a night never did anyone any harm."

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Figure 4-3: Period expectation of life at age 65 according to mortality rates experienced in given years, 1912â2012, United Kingdom

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections/compendium/nationalpopulationprojections/2014-03-28/chapter4mortality2012basednppreferencevolume

How revealing is it really (with regards to drinking)? I would think a lot of heavy drinkers and smokers have already passed away before they reach age 65. My father was a heavy drinker and smoker and passed away at age 49.