victim of atm fraud

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sorry but it is very strange for a Thai lady to allow only her husband to control her money.

I control every baht both in and out at my wife's request.  Personally, I'd rather give her housekeeping on a regular basis but she doesn't want it.

Regarding bank books.  It has an 'invisible' signature of the holder which is checked against the withdrawal slip.  When I've used my bank book, it's always put under the light and checked with my slip.  For someone else to use it they would have to have copied a signature from somewhere else and used an ID card which has to match the book.  Therefore losing your bank book is no biggy.

3 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I control every baht both in and out at my wife's request.  Personally, I'd rather give her housekeeping on a regular basis but she doesn't want it.

Regarding bank books.  It has an 'invisible' signature of the holder which is checked against the withdrawal slip.  When I've used my bank book, it's always put under the light and checked with my slip.  For someone else to use it they would have to have copied a signature from somewhere else and used an ID card which has to match the book.  Therefore losing your bank book is no biggy.

So by your own admission, you are a control freak.

I would certainly never admit to being 1 of them.

• Confused 1

Just now, colinneil said:

So by your own admission, you are a control freak.

I would certainly never admit to being 1 of them.

Where did I say that?  I would rather not be in control of all the funds and give my wife responsibility of her own daily outgoings etc.  Being asked for some money when she runs out is a pain in the arse.  Get off your pedestal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry for your loss,just my opinion not about the wife you have heard enough so up to you to do something.Personally if it was me,you say she has to bank there,I would get her to make a direct debit of all her salary on the date of its entry to that bank,to a new bank account and a different bank name,and that way this should never happen again unless someone is near enough to spot the code,so just make sure you are alone at the atm.Most of or all of the advice you have recieved regarding the better half are true,hard to swallow,but dont forget these people were bred this way by ourselves,being honest and fair to them,this is difficult to swallow but it is a fact.Good luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The only "unknown method" is the owner of the account taking the bank book and his/her ID to the bank and withdraw over the counter.

A completely normal procedure.

I found it alarming that members reported that they got money over the counter without showing ID!!!

Where is the bankbook?

----------------------------------

To avoid confusion for the unknowing:

" Taugausau" is "BAAC" in English.

"Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives". 

https://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/

tau-gau-sau being the spelling of the Thai acronym.

Little known to most foreigners.

I don't know too much but at least they seem to pay out subsidies for farmers, special loans for farming materials/machines etc. Huge crowds at certain times, tents on the road for the waiting.

Yes, "tau" for thanakan - ธนาคาน - bank, "gau" for kan kaset - การเกษตร - agriculture, and "sau" for sahakorn - สหกรณ์ - co-operative.

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, patrick kennedy said:

Sorry for your loss,just my opinion not about the wife you have heard enough so up to you to do something.Personally if it was me,you say she has to bank there,I would get her to make a direct debit of all her salary on the date of its entry to that bank,to a new bank account and a different bank name,and that way this should never happen again unless someone is near enough to spot the code,so just make sure you are alone at the atm.Most of or all of the advice you have recieved regarding the better half are true,hard to swallow,but dont forget these people were bred this way by ourselves,being honest and fair to them,this is difficult to swallow but it is a fact.Good luck.

Agree, and with internet banking very easy to set up.

And nowadays most banks offer free instant SMS instant messages to the account holder every time there is any transaction. My banks do this and in every message there is a 4 digit fast dial bank telephone number to contact if you have any concerns.

19 hours ago, isaander said:

thanks that is very useful info. My ignorance about that probably allowed the 2nd theft.   I will have her open a new account.

Do not use the salary deposit account with ATM.

Open a new ATM account. 

And new salary deposit account. 

Transfer from salary to ATM account as much as you need to use.

20 hours ago, isaander said:

I appreciate your comments and in no way offended.  and thanks for asking your wife.  since I know where my wife was in the 2 hour window that the second theft had occurred I start to wonder if a card was cloned in the first theft and used for the second.  but then how would they guess my new 6 digit pin.  I didn't even tell my wife.  I don't think 2 pins can exist for 1 account?  you are correct I did not talk to the bank as they don't speak any English and its my wife's account but our next step would seem to be the police.   

I use 2 atm cards for 1 account. 1 card is with my parents and is used to withdraw money from my account to pay some things abroad.

The card at my parents is an old style magnetic stripe only card with a 4 digit pin. My atm card of the same account here in Thailand is a new card with both magnetic stripe and ic and it has a 6 digit pin. 

So, yes, 1 account can have multiple atm cards with different pins!

My advice (if not done already) is to cancel ALL connected atmcards immediately.

Edited by Cheops

15 minutes ago, Cheops said:

I use 2 atm cards for 1 account. 1 card is with my parents and is used to withdraw money from my account to pay some things abroad.

The card at my parents is an old style magnetic stripe only card with a 4 digit pin. My atm card of the same account here in Thailand is a new card with both magnetic stripe and ic and it has a 6 digit pin. 

So, yes, 1 account can have multiple atm cards with different pins!

My advice (if not done already) is to cancel ALL connected atmcards immediately.

Agree with your last line.  I'm aware of 'extra' ATM cards being issued over the years, against bank policy, and where this has happened the ultimate account owner has lost control of the account. 

Many years back the Thai Admin. manager in my office used to give her ATM and PIN number to one of several junior staff members and maids, drivers etc., and tell them to withdraw whatever Baht. (Stupid thing to do and she had been told by the CEO many times to stop it.

It all went wrong and it was later discovered a junior supervisor has left the boss's ATM PIN number on a table near her desk.

Another staff member picked it up and used it. When all hell broke loose the thief just sat back and said nothing, but was discovered some months later because of theft of company property.

Better to go to the bank and cancel / block all card transactions and get a document to prove the blocking, and maybe even start a new account and transfer the funds into a new account, with or without an ATM card, card always under total control by the account holder. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, isaander said:

I just looked on the bank card - it has in English "bank for agriculture".    definitely not KTB.   am aware our financial arrangement is strange for isaan but it works for us.  she works hard and I am retired.   what you commented is very common here but in this case I know it wasn't her and her bank card was always in my possession.

I know it wasn’t her, there are such things as duplicate bank cards. Don’t be a mug all your life.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm aware of 'extra' ATM cards being issued over the years, against bank policy, and where this has happened the ultimate account owner has lost control of the account. 

Well, in many cases married couples have a joined account with each (his and hers:)) atm cards, but this happens less in Thailand for some reason LOL. In my homecountry this is pretty standard. Anyway, I give my card with pin to my wife many times. Yes, I know, be careful, bla bla ble, but the fact is that there are a lot foreign/Thai couples which can indeed trust eachother!

• Thanks 2

The bank/your account should have history record. The bank could look 

at video (whatever they use) for camera a ATM machine. Ask to look at

it or have them look to see who the person was that withdrew the money at ATM. 

I’ve  a joint account with wife and keep fairly low amount in the account. We had one card and one day I went to bank to request

an extra card. Not a problem but wife has to sign a paper at the 

bank to do so.

Wish you luck in getting it sorted out. It’s an uneeded worry.

38 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Well, in many cases married couples have a joined account with each (his and hers:)) atm cards, but this happens less in Thailand for some reason LOL. In my homecountry this is pretty standard. Anyway, I give my card with pin to my wife many times. Yes, I know, be careful, bla bla ble, but the fact is that there are a lot foreign/Thai couples which can indeed trust eachother!

I had a couple of gfs who always seemed interested in my PIN when I was at the ATM.

I always let them watch, showing how much I trusted them, then went back and changed it when they weren't looking.

PS

The trick is they swap your Thai ATM card with their Thai ATM card in the night.

Can take you a week to notice your card doesn't seem to work.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I had a couple of gfs who always seemed interested in my PIN when I was at the ATM.

I always let them watch, showing how much I trusted them, then went back and changed it when they weren't looking.

PS

The trick is they swap your Thai ATM card with their Thai ATM card in the night.

Can take you a week to notice your card doesn't seem to work.

I heard a story of a Farang who returned to see a bar girl after being home for 8 months.

Day 3 she removed his ATM card and had remembered his PIN number from his previous visit. Cleaned him out of 3,000 Quid.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I heard a story of a Farang who returned to see a bar girl after being home for 8 months.

Day 3 she removed his ATM card and had remembered his PIN number from his previous visit. Cleaned him out of 3,000 Quid.

Som nam na

I'd be interested to know what exactly has happened here. Suddenly bank advises error. You really need to get online with that bank account if possible.  Just seeing the methods cash was withdrawn could be useful. This lost bank book also looks a bit odd. I'd have replaced that fast. 

• Like 1

Since your wife is in agreement the bank is losing the money. Go with her and instruct to speak to the manager and let him/her know if it can't be resolved here and now you will obtain a Lawyer and seek damages!  It is important you put it in a manner not yelling raising your voice and threatening to them feeling they are losing face.

I've done this a number of times and it has worked well.

One of the reasons of not having a joint account is that immigration will not accept it for extensions.  You could have a joint bank account and a separate one for immigration.

Seems the bank admitted there was an error.  Bank errors happen everywhere but are usually sorted out.  In the UK, I had 10 grand sterling deposited in my account.  It remained there for almost 2 months before being corrected.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, KhunBENQ said:

She should clear this situation.

The bankbook is THE key/legal document for the account.

It may or may not be necessary to report the loss at the police station and then take report to the bank.

It will be interesting to hear what then happens.

I don't have an exact idea but I doubt that they will print transactions for the last 8 years.

good advice thanks.  we went to the bank today first thing and opened a new account.  being a Monday staff too busy to follow up on the 15000 theft and about crediting the 6000 bank error but we will not let it go and will continue to post what happens FYI 

7 minutes ago, isaander said:

good advice thanks.  we went to the bank today first thing and opened a new account.  being a Monday staff too busy to follow up on the 15000 theft and about crediting the 6000 bank error but we will not let it go and will continue to post what happens FYI 

Interesting that you chose to open a new account with the same bank...

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:19 AM, Rc2702 said:

I'd be interested to know what exactly has happened here. Suddenly bank advises error. You really need to get online with that bank account if possible.  Just seeing the methods cash was withdrawn could be useful. This lost bank book also looks a bit odd. I'd have replaced that fast. 

Taugausau bank or BAAC is a bit of a dinosaur even for thai banks.  there is no online access possible.  My wife manages government bank accounts in this bank and told me that bank has made a number of deposit errors - causing her extra work to balance and correct.  but first time they have made a mistake with her salary.  so maybe not so unusual?   I definitely prefer banks with online access as you say like Bangkok bank or Kasikorn.  I will post if/when error is corrected

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Interesting that you chose to open a new account with the same bank...

if up to me I would avoid that bank.  don't even know if a farang can have an account there.  but my wife is required to have an account there for deposit of her government salary

Just now, isaander said:

if up to me I would avoid that bank.  don't even know if a farang can have an account there.  but my wife is required to have an account there for deposit of her government salary

Are you 100% sure this is mandatory. I mean it sounds very odd to have to have a bank account with a specific bank. Sounds shady.