How much do you smile whilst living in Thailand?

bbabythai

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

If one were to go by what one reads on this forum there are a serious amount of terminally unhappy expats with weapons grade depression.

Makes me wonder why they stay here. What's the point? If everything about the place is so bad why not go back to good old back home?

52 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Maybe it is even worse from whence they came.

I think you've nailed it... it's even worse from whence they came.

What other explanation could there be?  Unless they're being held here against their will.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Your odds seem to assume the recipient of the smile is blind.

I don't know how you figure that but in a country where a smile can convey a multitude of emotions I'm not stupid enough to think that every smile I get is because that person is overwhelmed with happiness and excited to see me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MisterTee said:

I think you've nailed it... it's even worse from whence they came.

What other explanation could there be?  Unless they're being held here against their will.

In a lot of places smiling incessantly can point to you being dim witted or even lacking intelligence which seems to be apparent from this thread. I am extremely happy here but it doesn't mean I feel need to walk round with a big smile on my face for every person I see in Thailand whilst singing Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Nor do I feel the need to emulate or appropriate the culture of another country to prove that I am happy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my first night in Bangkok 30 years ago I had to massage my face before I went to bed as it was aching so much from smiling.

These days when I visit Thailand a smile doesn't even come into the equation. On the rare occasions when Thais raise their eyes from their mobile phones, most often I see looks bordering on contempt. The only time I see the once ubiquitous Thai smile now is in my hotel or when I go into a shop and even that isn't 100% guaranteed anymore. Sad really but technology seems to have turned most Thais and indeed most under 40's everywhere in the world into soulless robots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, starky said:

Well according to some "research"  I have read there are up to 13 varieties of Thai smile as part of their culture which means at any time there is only an 8% chance your getting the smile you think. However if you wish to walk around grinning like an idiot at every person you see. Well that's entirely up to you. Just as many fake smiles as genuine ones here.

?

8 hours ago, starky said:

Well according to some "research"  I have read there are up to 13 varieties of Thai smile as part of their culture which means at any time there is only an 8% chance your getting the smile you think. However if you wish to walk around grinning like an idiot at every person you see. Well that's entirely up to you. Just as many fake smiles as genuine ones here.

?

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

One of the ways I choose whether to return to a coffee stall...or whatever....is whether they greet me with a smile or not. My view is...if they not look as if they are happy to see me (as a customer) then why should I give them my business. I'd rather give it to somebody who looks as if they appreciate it.

PS...Am not sure why they call it "LOS"...false smiles yes...but genuine smiles ..very little....more like "cranky" faces (especially when you ask a question in a store or similar situation).

I come from a country that should be called..."The Land of Genuine smiles and Warm Hearts"......IRELAND.

LOS has other meanings besides the land of smiles, but I won't put a dampener on this nice topic

by saying what they are.

5 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

If one were to go by what one reads on this forum there are a serious amount of terminally unhappy expats with weapons grade depression.

Makes me wonder why they stay here. What's the point? If everything about the place is so bad why not go back to good old back home?

"Makes me wonder why they stay here" Probably because most of them come from the UK, and in almost every way they are better off here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

One of the ways I choose whether to return to a coffee stall...or whatever....is whether they greet me with a smile or not. My view is...if they not look as if they are happy to see me (as a customer) then why should I give them my business. I'd rather give it to somebody who looks as if they appreciate it.

PS...Am not sure why they call it "LOS"...false smiles yes...but genuine smiles ..very little....more like "cranky" faces (especially when you ask a question in a store or similar situation).

I come from a country that should be called..."The Land of Genuine smiles and Warm Hearts"......IRELAND.

Grand to meet another leipreachán.

I don't know how you figure that but in a country where a smile can convey a multitude of emotions I'm not stupid enough to think that every smile I get is because that person is overwhelmed with happiness and excited to see me.

But (apparently) you’re not bright enough to pick even one phony out of thirteen. I think phonies are pretty easy to spot.

As percentages go, I would bet a greater number of the smiles I get here are genuine than most anywhere else I’ve been.
  • Like 1

It's not easy to figure out which Thai smile is genuine or not. 

I try to smile to strangers and I know they will return smiles , because it's in their Thai genes.   

But that's it really , I never understood what a genuine Thai smile is.  I just assume they are genuine and move on from there . 

Edited by balo

On my first night in Bangkok 30 years ago I had to massage my face before I went to bed as it was aching so much from smiling.

These days when I visit Thailand a smile doesn't even come into the equation. On the rare occasions when Thais raise their eyes from their mobile phones, most often I see looks bordering on contempt. The only time I see the once ubiquitous Thai smile now is in my hotel or when I go into a shop and even that isn't 100% guaranteed anymore. Sad really but technology seems to have turned most Thais and indeed most under 40's everywhere in the world into soulless robots.

They probably remember you...

12 hours ago, starky said:

Or you can use your perceptive abilities and analysis of the person and situation and get an understanding of what the smile means... what you call fake smiles are just conveying a different meaning,... it might be a challenge for you, but you can figure it out... 

would the opposite of grinning like an idiot be frowning like an idiot in a place where people are mostly happy? Just asking. 

It takes too much energy to smile, it's not healthy for you, and Americans smile the most anyway, so apparently Thailand was a move down in the smiling category.

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/do-you-smile-too-much-the-answer-is-probably-yes-heres-why-thats-bad.html

I've found as I've been here longer and have more bills from the children and the mortgage, I definitely smile less. I was much happier in my 20's when I moved here without a care in the world and money to blow. Yeah...I'm in a bad mood today.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Or you can use your perceptive abilities and analysis of the person and situation and get an understanding of what the smile means... what you call fake smiles are just conveying a different meaning,... it might be a challenge for you, but you can figure it out... 

would the opposite of grinning like an idiot be frowning like an idiot in a place where people are mostly happy? Just asking. 

Is that the only 2 options? Is that the extent of your emotional facial expression smiling and frowning?Just asking. Goose. Can you be a little less condescending and superior or is that just how you act normally? Just asking. Glad you have the perception to be able to comment on the happiness level in a "place" with nearly 70 million people. Exaggerate much? Just asking. If you had read my posts I never once stated you shouldn't return a smile or not be genuine or friendly. What I said was I certainly don't walk around like a loen with a smile on my face smiling at every single person I encounter. Fycks sake. Don't know where you have been living for the past 4 years but I would debate the point that the people of Thailand are currently "mostly happy"

Edited by starky

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

But (apparently) you’re not bright enough to pick even one phony out of thirteen. I think phonies are pretty easy to spot.

As percentages go, I would bet a greater number of the smiles I get here are genuine than most anywhere else I’ve been.

Ah another insult. They just keep coming funny how fast you happy smiling people are quick to anger. Fycks sake its not about genuine or not. Thais smile when they are happy, sad, embarrassed, and a multitude of other reasons. I never said there was 1 genuine smile and 12 phony ones that's your lack of comprehension unfortunately. Have a nice day.

Edited by starky

Ah another insult. They just keep coming funny how fast you happy smiling people are quick to anger. Fycks sake its not about genuine or not. Thais smile when they are happy, sad, embarrassed, and a multitude of other reasons. I never said there was 1 genuine smile and 12 phony ones that's your lack of comprehension unfortunately. Have a nice day.

Angry? Get a grip Homer, did you not notice the “apparently” in parenthesis for “...Fycks sake...?

The odds you came up with assumes one would not be able identify even one phony smile out of thirteen, which is clearly not true.

You have an incredibly wonderful evening
  • Haha 1