I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

16 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

What I wrote is true of any country in the tropics so what I wrote shouldn't be viewed as an attack on Thailand, it's a heat/humidity versus age thing.

Trust me I understand.

But there are elements of the TVF community who seem to lose their sense of reason when it comes to ‘perceived’ critism of Thailand

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 8:09 AM, SheungWan said:

Probably a typical example of someone pulling the plug is a guy who recently returned to the Midlands in the UK after living in Thailand for many years and has no intention of returning. Reason for leaving? He decided that the continual hot, humid weather was just too unpleasant for him as he was getting older and decided to 'ahem, throw in the towel. There were other accumulating reasons of course, but it was the heat that finally tipped the decision.

depends on nationality i think, i come for a country far, far and away colder than UK, and the heat here is the very last thing that would cause me to move, and i sure as hell aint gonna go back to the ice cold hell, nope, not ever, not in a million lives will i go back to freezing

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Apart form the fact that you’re sweating your balls off.

Sidewalks are few and far between, and outside of major cities public parks just don't exist

51 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Another emerging factor for me personally is the state of my health and the ease with which it can be managed in the UK versus in Thailand/tropics. 

No matter how much I exercise in Thailand I was always unable to get my weight below 86 kilo's and my blood sugar and lipids were always borderline/high, this despite a strict diet and as much exercise as I could. After being back in the UK and in an often cold climate for three months, my weight went down to 82 kilo's and my blood sugar and lipid levels are the best they've been in years but I have no dietary restrictions. Sure I didn't drive a car in the UK and instead, I walked everywhere but a person can do that easily in a cooler climate, it'd be almost impossible for me to get the equivalent

amount of exercise in Thailand because the heat and humidity are so high. Now that I'm back in Thailand it will be interesting to see how quickly I put the pounds back on.

Yes I am an old bloke and not tall, then I

looked at a few photos and the sight of my man boobs made me....????....I was 90kl..

I don't like walking or swimming but 40 years back I did do weights and that got me thinking..

I know that to lose weight without changing diet would take an horrendous amount of walking, running etc, that was off my cards. So it was down to diet and getting back in the gym to shape up.

Was difficult at first but now eat once a day and cut down on the beers. I am now about 74kl and have shaped up nicely, so much so that I will not go back to how I was, plus I enjoy pushing myself in the gym, only an hour at a time though, not getting any younger.

I recall a fat bloke that wanted to lose weight, told him he must cut way down on calories and stick to it, he said he needed 5000 a day, l said noooo, under 2500 if you want to lose that lot, and it might take a couple of years..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve73 said:

There are plenty of retirees here who don't stay all year round.. Most of these probably get their pensions paid into their home account and then only move it to their Thai account during the months they're actually here.  If Thai now insists everything is paid in here, then they will lose many of these long stay retirees.

Well I think what will probably happen is that you end up with more tourists than long stay residents.

Now we usually stay 3 months in Thailand each year, but now I’m a tourist

I’m actually a lot happier not having to keep money in a Thai bank account

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I think what will probably happen is that you end up with more tourists than long stay residents.

Now we usually stay 3 months in Thailand each year, but now I’m a tourist

I’m actually a lot happier not having to keep money in a Thai bank account

Since the dollar has gone down against the baht lately I guess you like losing money.  Each to their own.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

No matter how much I exercise in Thailand I was always unable to get my weight below 86 kilo's and my blood sugar and lipids were always borderline/high, this despite a strict diet and as much exercise as I could. After being back in the UK and in an often cold climate for three months, my weight went down to 82 kilo's and my blood sugar and lipid levels are the best they've been in years but I have no dietary restrictions.

Well , every person is different. I do more exercise in Thailand than I did back in my home country . And I only eat a healthy diet and avoid beer. I have lost weight in Thailand. But I have no problems with blood sugar etc.  

• Like 1

I sold my house in the USA in 2005 and deposited the money in a Thai bank at 41.5.  Ten years ago it was 34.  5 years ago it was 31.  3 years ago it was 32. 
Which means that by having your money sitting in a Thai bank since 2005 you made about 1.8% per year due to the Dollar weakening vs the Baht plus whatever interest the Thai banks paid. That might be better than you would have done if you had put the money in an American bank but it's hardly the investment of the century.

18 hours ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

Is Cambodia a real option?   one idea I am considering at least for starters is Penang. I can walk up to Immigration hand over my passport and get 90 days Visa free. With a couple of plane trips to say Philippines, Thailand that is a whole year sorted out all Visa free and a couple of Holidays as a Bonus 

given my abysmal ability to travel, i would have to consider cambodia in spite of rather being dead than to be there,

but for sure i would bring a quality mattress if it really goes that bad

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I sold my house in the USA in 2005 and deposited the money in a Thai bank at 41.5.  Ten years ago it was 34.  5 years ago it was 31.  3 years ago it was 32. 

april 15, 2013 USD/THB 28.53

We are back in Thailand for our yearly 3months

Like this much better than the years living here.

Great being here for the three months of ok weather then back home

for 9 of better weather.

But we like coming, visit family,check on our house..which does ok since  our sister lives near it

But yes 3 months is enough ????

• Like 1

I have come late to the party here.

I have a Thai wife. It is the reason I cannot really leave Thailand as I really do not think she would handle Australia well. With the decline of the AUD, I have also lost a lot of my earnings power. I am lucky enough to be able to afford insurance but I can tell you, going home for me is not a great idea. I would have to move back in with my parents. My life, in fact, would be a lot easier in Australia due to them (my parents) as I do come from a very wealthy family and my father (80 years old) is saying now it is only a few more years till he and mum (78) 'falls off the perch' and then I do not have a worry in the world about money. I hate his talking like that but it is the honest truth due to the Family Trust.

Problem is I suffer bipolar disorder and I have not worked due to this illness for more than 10 years. I lost most of my working years due to this illness after the age of 32. I worked for a Major Mining company since the age of 16 and that money is the only reason why I am not totally broke today. I am on a pension and I worry a lot about if things were to change a great deal in Thailand, where would I go? 40,000 is just about all I get a month these days but due to my wife working, I have only been bringing it 20,000 due to our FX rates dropping. I have a rather large nest egg in Australia from previous work, but try not to touch it. 

I lived in the Philippines before. If you like Typhoon seasons and risks of earthquakes, it is not too bad. Renting is more expensive but the dollar is stronger and on your pension, you could live a nice life. It is not as advanced as Thailand, the food sucks but over time it is okay. Problem is health cover again. That for me at any time is a worry. I spent 220K this year in Hospital from my insurance for a Gallbladder Operation. 

I like Vang Tau. Good expat Australian community and I love the ocean. Later on in life, I can see myself and my wife spending a lot of time there. Yet, it once again comes down to money.

I can understand the OP's worries. If I was single and old, I would not care so much as I can move to other countries but insurance would worry me. At this stage of my life, if I had to go back to Australia and not to my parent's house with my wife, I would be homeless. I am lucky my wife has a job and owns her own house. If she were to die tomorrow, I think I would move now to another country as in a sense, I would have no reason to be here. It would most likely be Vang Tau or Cebu. Thailand has changed in some ways too much. I really think the grief of losing my wife and the changes I have seen in Thailand, would make me go.

The older we get, the harder it is. I am only 49. I have a long way to go but I really do think things here in Thailand and not as easy as 10 years ago. 

Your still getting the single pension but you are married? {40k) for starters that would drop if you took your wife home to oz

46 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Your still getting the single pension but you are married? {40k) for starters that would drop if you took your wife home to oz

No, married rate of $647. With Bank Interests, it brings it up to $900 per/fortnight. If I was not married, I would get $785

I have dividends that earn me a lot more (I do not touch them) but in truth but with the dollar dropping, I am working off 40K for the next several years

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 7:28 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Apart form the fact that you’re sweating your balls off.

Sidewalks are few and far between, and outside of major cities public parks just don't exist

and even in the cities in Thailand, the sidewalks are often cluttered with motorbikes or a power pole or tree is planted smack in the middle of such a walkway. Its impossible in any city here to "go for a nice walk"... in the 4 years here I have been hit TWICE by cars going by me.. slowly thank good. Riding my MB is safer!!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

The older we get, the harder it is. I am only 49. I have a long way to go ..........

Maybe not that long, several of my pals managed to die by age 50.

One in Chiang Mai, age 49 felt a bit ill over Xmas lunch, dead of stomach cancer by February.

Best to live for today and not plan (too much) for the future that may never happen.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

You know it is funny but, we lived there 7-8 years but after two years of the Junta we decided to sell the condo in Chiang Mai (glad we did as prices lower now) but we did keep our family house in country, Then moved back to our US home.I am not kidding when I say first two months I thought we made a big mistake. Takes  a few months for the Thai mirage to wear off.

When it does you wonder why you ever wanted to live there? No rights...intrusive traffic stops where they look for a reason to extract $$, The merry go round that is the yearly hassle to get permission to stay....I did it via cash in bank method, but even  then you have a year permission to stay BUT check in every 90 days? Get permission to leave/re-enter, tell them within 24 hrs you have reentered even though you have been documented at reentry etc etc etc

I really wonder what the attraction was to stay? I guess for the mongers it is mongering but for us married folks?? Really the world has so much better to offer.
Thailand is a race to the bottom for most expats IMO
"Thailand is a race to the bottom for most expats IMO"

What a shame you had to take a swipe. Typical TV farang behaviour though

At least you sold your condo at the top of the market [emoji23]
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

"Thailand is a race to the bottom for most expats IMO"

What a shame you had to take a swipe. Typical TV farang behaviour though

At least you sold your condo at the top of the market emoji23.png

Sorry if you took it personal..?

We lived there long enough to learn from it...only after leaving

What I meant is whether they  realize it or not most expats get assimilated.

Get use to lack of service

Get use to lack of rights

Get use to filthy conditions

Get use to the worlds most deadly roads

Get use to corruption as they think it will behoove them

Get used to polluted air

I could go on  but you get the idea

There is so much better out there but, The Thai mirage is strong

Thailand polishes a turd better than anywhere

Thai people are excellent...my Thai family is proof

But the country? Yeah 3 (cool season) months a year or every other year is plenty...Then I am Thai-urd????

PS: Dont know if we sold at top

We bought in 1998 so was easy to profit, All I said is it went down from when we sold

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, meechai said:

You know it is funny but, we lived there 7-8 years but after two years of the Junta we decided to sell the condo in Chiang Mai (glad we did as prices lower now) but we did keep our family house in country, Then moved back to our US home.I am not kidding when I say first two months I thought we made a big mistake. Takes  a few months for the Thai mirage to wear off.

When it does you wonder why you ever wanted to live there? No rights...intrusive traffic stops where they look for a reason to extract $$, The merry go round that is the yearly hassle to get permission to stay....I did it via cash in bank method, but even  then you have a year permission to stay BUT check in every 90 days? Get permission to leave/re-enter, tell them within 24 hrs you have reentered even though you have been documented at reentry etc etc etc

I really wonder what the attraction was to stay? I guess for the mongers it is mongering but for us married folks?? Really the world has so much better to offer.

Thailand is a race to the bottom for most expats IMO

So you initially headed for the bottom ....?  ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

So you initially headed for the bottom ....?  ????

Well in hindsight yes

That is what I meant  by mirage wore off after months away

Trust me when I say we were going to run right back as we thought we missed it that much