What I miss about Thailand.

thaibeachlovers

26 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Thanks for the honest update. 

I think that when many of the expats here complain - - what is lacking is - - as compared to what? 

They complain about the cost of beer or wine while not mentioning that the rent alone in their home country would be 2-3x what they are paying here and for some, I would guess, the rent back home might be entirely unaffordable and eat the majority of their pensions... [ how much more is your rent now?]  

And welcome back on your return... 

In San Francisco a 1 br will cost you 4200 dls a month, Ridiculous 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, I guess I will have quite a different perspective.

I like Thai food, so it will be more expensive back in the States.  However, I also like Western foods; much cheaper there than here--good beef, good crabs and oysters, breads, cheeses, wines, beers, spirits; my backyard has oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, avacados and strawberries--good burgers, wings, and pizza are everywhere; and if you like that god-awful American fast-food, it is much cheaper there than here.

I don't use public transportation except for flying; so I would not miss it. My Harley, Camry, and F-150 are all much cheaper there and so is the gas. I live in Florida, so weather there is not  a problem.

Things happen after 10pm; there are no stupid hours when you cannot buy booze; and  the entertainment venues are unbeatable, but very expensive. I have my lovely wife with me, so I will have companionship. However, girls are available, but more expensive, but just rationalize that you are paying by the pound.

Certainly, other expenses are greater--e.g., housing, taxes, insurance, hired tradesmen, and my favorite personal services are ridiculously more expensive there--and fewer issues can be solved with a bit of graft. They actually enforce traffic and other laws, but they don't stop you on the street for tea money. The other drivers don't try to run you off the road. It's not immediately your fault because you are there.

Damn, I've almost talked myself into leaving. However, those things that are more expensive there are so severely so, that they make it worthwhile to not be there.  That, and I have spent so much of  my life in SEA, it is home for me. Most of my friends and relatives are here.  So . . .

You say the weather is not a problem? Guess you have not been thru a hurricane there yet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

My wife and I are back in Calif for a month or so.  I miss my home in Thailand.  I got off the plane and my wallet started shaking...LOL.

I could post a lot about what I miss in Thailand.  Big one is just hoping on the scooter and blazing around to get Thai food for a $1. 

A month here is just enough.  

Amen - we pick up the RV there & get to other states asap....

If the OP is in Sydney Australia we have " Thai town" similar to chinatown.

A few thai restaurants...isaan karaoke nightclub, a 3 floor thai restaurant disco club....and thai supermarkets.

Thai market stalls sell clothing cheaper than in Thailand every weekend in Sydney.

Sydney seens to be the second Bangkok

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Amen - we pick up the RV there & get to other states asap....

I have no assets in the US any longer. Far more convenient to Rent RVs and places to stay and like you, we say Hello to folks and travel on. I just sat through 2 hrs of traffic and people honking and cutting people off.

That said., another thing I miss being home in Thailand is the the easier life and no traffic.

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the OP, I've been in the UK for two months and boring is the word, I'll be happy to get back to Thailand in another month. A part of the problem is that the uncertain and usually inclement weather makes it difficult to plan things, so when the weather turns grey and rainy everyone retreats into their homes and families. Also, most places close up at  6pm, unless you're in London the only thing open after 6pm are the pubs and a few restaurants. At least in Chiang Mai there are shopping malls that stay open until 10pm, multi-screen move theatres, shed loads of eateries and entertainment options or simply, a nice evening to take a walk around town...all those things seem virtually non-existent here or simply not dooable.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:51 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Notice how the OP refuses to say where he is?

There is a difference between living in Sydney and "existing" in Camden.

I know Australia as I was married to one.

Just like there is a difference between living in Thailand on US dollars and existing on Australian peso.

I made one post a while back and I'm "refusing" 555555555555555.

Actually, read the headline, as it's nothing about comparing where I am to Thailand, so where I am is irrelevant. I liked Thailand better than London, if that's any help.

Seems that TVF has a resident clique of posters that just have to go on threads they don't like to bait the OP. Here's a suggestion, go post on threads you do like.

Times up, so have to bow out again. Be back in a few days, maybe. I l miss my internet access in Thailand too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1