stop in pattaya driving a new car

catman20

I was told if you pay all at time of purchase you get the red plate. Which 

Reckon is for prestige.......  

if that’s the case it irresponsible as it waving a flag saying this person has/had enough money to pay off and makes the a possible target for robbery. 

China had Black plates for foreigners and blue for Nationals. They did away with it and all cars have blue. The color showing it was a foreigner 

Made it easy targets for hustlers. 

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

China had Black plates for foreigners and blue for Nationals. They did away with it and all cars have blue. The color showing it was a foreigner 

Made it easy targets for hustlers. 

Good thing they don't make foreigners wear a Scarlet Letter  Like an big F . for Foreign. People from the US and UK would wear a big F U.:tongue:

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rwill said:

With red plates, no driving at night, You are not allowed to drive outside of the jungwat the plates are for (I think you can get permission to though), and you are not supposed to keep them for more than 30 days.

But we now how it works in Thailand.  Break the law, pay the fine if caught, keep doing the same.

Can you still speed, run red lights and drive on the wrong side of the road? 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or he simply wasn't informed... Although I know of this regulation, over the years when picking up a new car the dealership has never informed me that I can't drive out of province or in the hours of darkness on a red plate.

The rule is simply daft... but equally so, it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get the white plates and with a Thai speaker / reader you can chose your own number off the DLT website and once awarded give the details to your dealer - this speeds things up a bit as the dealer is usually quite lazy in choosing getting your white place. 

Realistically, there is no reason why you can't have white plates the day you pick up your car, but  bureaucracy ensures the system can't operate that efficiently.

I was on red plates for two months and knew nothing of the rules mentioned here and I from the comments here there appears to be a lot of Falangs who can suddenly read Thai instructions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aupee said:

I was on red plates for two months and knew nothing of the rules mentioned here and I from the comments here there appears to be a lot of Falangs who can suddenly read Thai instructions.

Even those who cannot read Thai should have a minimum brain allowing them to know what is said online since year 2000...

15 hours ago, digbeth said:

You can demand to have white plate from the dealer on day one, cut the cheque for the price of the car and wave it around the dealer's nose and say delivery with white plates only. This could result in your brand new car sitting on the dealer's forecourt for sometime, but saves the headache of chasing up the white plates months later.

Or you can demand the 'registration kit' and take it to land transport department to register it yourself, done in half a day.

Only the keeping up with the jones type prefer the red plates to show of to their neighbour that they are in a brand new car.

When I went for a test drive in a new MG3 this week I discussed the registrar your self option and was told "can do" but we don't know how much will be taken off the price. I said "LTO fees" they said "we don't know" YMMV

On 9/9/2018 at 2:00 AM, Damrongsak said:
On 9/8/2018 at 5:41 PM, rwill said:

With red plates, no driving at night, You are not allowed to drive outside of the jungwat the plates are for (I think you can get permission to though), and you are not supposed to keep them for more than 30 days.

But we now how it works in Thailand.  Break the law, pay the fine if caught, keep doing the same.

Can you still speed, run red lights and drive on the wrong side of the road? 

If my most recent road trip in Thailand was any indicator, yes.  Seems to happen pretty frequently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You seem to be an argument seeker with a chip on his shoulder, can you tell us why?

16 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You seem to be an argument seeker with a chip on his shoulder, can you tell us why?

no chip on the shoulder at all.

i just like to learn from people that say they know a lot about things that i dont know. i didn't know asking someone a question was argumentative. chill out man ?

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2018 at 1:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Or he simply wasn't informed... Although I know of this regulation, over the years when picking up a new car the dealership has never informed me that I can't drive out of province or in the hours of darkness on a red plate.

The rule is simply daft... but equally so, it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get the white plates and with a Thai speaker / reader you can chose your own number off the DLT website and once awarded give the details to your dealer - this speeds things up a bit as the dealer is usually quite lazy in choosing getting your white place. 

Realistically, there is no reason why you can't have white plates the day you pick up your car, but  bureaucracy ensures the system can't operate that efficiently.

I bought a new Honda Civic about 17 or 18 years ago in Bkk, at that time sales were a bit slow and many Honda dealers offered 7 days delivery with white plates.

• Like 1

when we bought our car in 2012 most dealers didn't keep more than one set of red plates (I think they have to pay tax for them) so you drove with no plates at all. We did for 5 months and never a problem. But drive with red plates and they may stop you .... I have never heard of anyone being stopped for driving a new car without plates - but loose one and you get stopped at every road block!

• Like 1