Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

8 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Is having men play best of 5 sets while women play best of 3 set inequality against men?

Yes, if you think like Novak Djokovic, or Raymond Moore.

You do realize that men play best of three sets, just like the women, in all ATP/WTA events except the four grand slams (and Davis Cup)?

5 Reasons Why Tennis Should Keep Paying Men and Women Equally

http://time.com/money/4265912/equal-pay-tennis-djokovic-williams/

13 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Is having men play best of 5 sets while women play best of 3 set inequality against men?  I've always been curious why women get the same money as men yet, don't play near as many sets in a grand slam tournament. If there was equality, women would either play best out of 5 sets, or take a haircut on the payout.  That's equality.

The women will argue that they bring in as many fans and TV audience as the men, so the number of sets played is irrelevant.  And they could be right, I don't know.  But there is a simple solution:  do like golf and have separate men and women tournaments.  Of course, that would never happen.  Tradition and all that.  

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, if you think like Novak Djokovic, or Raymond Moore.

You do realize that men play best of three sets, just like the women, in all ATP/WTA events except the four grand slams (and Davis Cup)?

5 Reasons Why Tennis Should Keep Paying Men and Women Equally

http://time.com/money/4265912/equal-pay-tennis-djokovic-williams/

You did see I mentioned the grand slam events, correct?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

You did see I mentioned the grand slam events, correct?

Yes, but you didn't mention all the other events being best of three so thought it best to highlight that nugget for the other Neanderthals.

But maybe a different topic for discussion?

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Personally Ihink the cartoon was hilarious and was the caricature of what we saw on the court.

Williams was a disgrace to her sport and tried to turn her defeat and tantrums in to a woman thing.

Her action had nothing to do with "equality for women" as she claimed.  It should be men who are claiming "equality for men" seeing that that women play a minimum of two sets and a maximum of three, whereas the men have to play a minimum  of three and a maximum of five. for the same money.  Sometimes the women's matches can be over in 90 minutes whereas the men' matches occasionally last for four and a half hours and are never as short as 90 minutes.

I believe that women should be paid the same as men for the same job but tennis pay is more than fair to women, particularly when the number of spectators for the men's matches often far outweigh those for the women.  In many recent televised matches, sometimes including top women players, I was amazed to see that the number of spectators could be numbered in the very low hundreds against several thousand for the men.  Although I personally enjoy the women's game, rather than watching mainly the heavy serves of the men, I believe that the men have a legitimate complaint about the pay structure being unfair to men, as they have to spend more time on court and appear to be the main draw for the crowds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This cartoon was absolutely racist, and quite shameful - interesting that the Japanese-American-Haitian player is depicted as white/blond, and Serena has extremely exaggerated features.

The Japanese lady did have a blond ponytail , also Serena is depicted as "whiter" than the Japanese player

• Like 2

Come on its just a bit of fun , not racist at all.  

We are not allowed to joke about Mohammed any longer, or be prepared for the worst. 

So at least let us joke about "our own" people , black or white who cares. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The Madness has reached Down Under...so much for the bold, brash children of Convicts that wrenched a savage land into civilization. Its over, they will ban guns next!

I thought it was a take out from Witchetty's Tribe.

• Haha 1

my take is that Serena is just a bad loser.
She sensed in the first set already she was not going to make it,
and grabbed any straw to draw attention away from her upcoming loss.

As for a cartoon about that depicting an unjustifiably outrageously, seemingly uncontrolled, angry person.
That is what cartoons are for: highlighting funny and out of order characteristics of people.

it seems the cartoon was taken off the net, so much for free press and free expression of cartoons.

Now we are on the topic of cartoons, I always feel very upset and insulted that angry people are depicted as if they are Red.
Red people are communists, and why should they be associated with anger.
And "red Indians" were a mostly peaceful Tribal Folk, also nothing to do with Anger.

Edited by KKr
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KKr said:

my take is that Serena is just a bad loser.
She sensed in the first set already she was not going to make it,
and grabbed any straw to draw attention away from her upcoming loss.

As for a cartoon about that depicting an unjustifiably outrageously, seemingly uncontrolled, angry person.
That is what cartoons are for: highlighting funny and out of order characteristics of people.

it seems the cartoon was taken off the net, so much for free press and free expression of cartoons.

Now we are on the topic of cartoons, I always feel very upset and insulted that angry people are depicted as if they are Red.
Red people are communists, and why should they be associated with anger.
And "red Indians" were a mostly peaceful Tribal Folk, also nothing to do with Anger.
So I am glad that the news paper is in Black and White.

Don't you know that there is no such thing as free expression when there is a woman involved.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, car720 said:

Don't you know that there is no such thing as free expression when there is a woman involved.

Apparently the subject of discussion thinks she has that right, without drawing the ire of sports fans about her disgracing her (and her sisters' great achievements up to now, by being a bad loser
In the cartoon, she is being appropriately depicted as such.

• Like 1