Land Of Lady Boys? Thailand Is Not The LGBTI Paradise It Appears

webfact

Land Of Lady Boys? Thailand Is Not The LGBTI Paradise It Appears

Sexual minorities in the Land of Smiles face discrimination in education, work and their love lives, though attitudes – and the law – are beginning to change

BY LAURA VILLADIEGO

LB.jpg

It is a country known to the world for its gay parties and transgender beauty pageants, a Land of Smiles that is welcoming to all.

But tell that to members of Thailand’s LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) community and you might receive a puzzled frown.

While Thailand is one of the most progressive countries in Asia regarding LGBTI rights, and its capital Bangkok often tops lists of gay-friendly tourist destinations, activists in the country say the gay community suffers not only from a lack of recognition, but from laws and a society that actively discriminate against them.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/lifestyle-culture/article/2163544/land-lady-boys-thailand-not-gay-paradise-it-appears

-- South China Morning Post 2018-2018-09-17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Many organisations or companies don’t accept transgenders … because they are biased and they don’t see the abilities that transgender people have,”

Biased or not, it is their choice who they choose to employ, end of discussion.

It's more than that. Rightly or wrongly ladyboys hit the news again and again for theft, attacking tourists and more. To the extent that, in many peoples view ladyboys cannot be trusted etc etc.  Employers need to ensure their employees work in a trusting pleasant uncomplicated environment. 

I have one middle aged very loud very OTP ladyboy in my outer circle family, he is full of drama and loves to generate issues and problems. In the early days he got banned from our house by Thai family members.

Unfortunate of course for the ladyboys who aren't troublemakers and just want to get on with life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gay and Lesbians have been around since forever. Even the Spartan warriors had a tradition, the men stayed in the barracks and their wives stayed at home. The thing about it today is that for some strange reason gay or transgender men have to be provocative about it. You go to a supermarket and the cashier openly tries to get your attention even though your clearly not interested. just goes on and on. Now imagine if it was a real woman behind the register doing the same, people would think she was nuts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

activists in the country say the gay community suffers not only from a lack of recognition, but from laws and a society that actively discriminate against them.

When has any activist ever said, "We've got everything we wanted, so we'll stop now"

The whole point of activism is to always want more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

It seems ladyboys are very well represented on Thai television as hosts of a varied mix of shows.

I believe it is you who have the problem.. perhaps opinions are biased but most have been accurate.. when a lady starts posting things with sexual intonation or pushes their gender on students.. it affects all students.. when an employee decided not to hire a transgender perhaps it is based not on their gender but on the impact it will have for customers.. it is well known and seen daily how many transgender overact to show their preferred sexuality in Thailand.  Maybe you are just defiant to these things? 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Being gay, or a transgender man or woman, is not a perversion. 

Up2U. I was referring to straight guys who have a preference for ladyboys. Not aimed at LBGT people.

Edited by Spidey
  • Haha 2

Look at things in a different light.  In fact, homophobic is a term constructed of two words joined together as is homophobia.  Homo means man.  Phobic means having an extreme or irrational fear or aversion to something. The term was first applied in modern speech and appeared in print in 1969 by the psychologist George Weinberg.  As an ex-Clinical Psychologist, I never express a person as being homophobic or homosexual, as most other people do.  In my clinical days, I would never knowingly have a person of either designation, in my office, especially the latter as their problems/concerns were outside of my domain and remain so today.  So, if a true light is shed on the term homophobic, it really refers to another person being afraid of such personalities.  How many out there can really say you are afraid of homosexuals? 

'nuf sed

• Confused 1