International Avocado arguement

Rc2702

I'm on the road at present with work and the last 3 hours of my day have been spent discussing a 20 baht increase on 2kg of avocados. 

The Mrs purchased 2kg of unweighed avocados from a seller online. She met the lady and spent 160 baht on 2kg of these avocados

So she messages me today saying avocado woman is around on Wednesday and she wants another 2kg.  I say fine, enjoy. 

She then tells me price is 90 baht a kg now.

Now this type of thing burns me as I always get discounts even on discounts and whilst it sounds like a non issue I'm really looking at my Mrs and thinking if that was me I'd walk away from the deal on principle. 

It kills me to see her not pushing for discounts like it's a shameful act or something.

I was in central 2 weeks ago and I could see her squirming when I asked her to seek a further discount. They said no to her so in my primitive thai I asked them if this shop was central? They said yes, so I pulled out my phone went online and showed them the price of the shoes I had in my hand were 10% cheaper online. 20 seconds later I get confirmation they can do the online price.

Does anyone else run into this issue with reluctant partners where getting the best deal is concerned?

Is it a loss of face to some to have to seek a discount?

Just now, NCC1701A said:

I think it has to do with if your partner is a woman, and older than say about 40.

My first Thai girlfriend was 42 and she was old school, brought up by her old school parents to just accept things. Any problems and she would just shut down.

She was great with everything else, but could not stick up for herself or for me in public.

Also some people are like A types and very aggressive and pro active, like people born in the year of the Dragon or Tiger. Others not so much and can be very passive.

She's mid thirties and I've lost count how many discounts I've got in front of her and had always hoped it would rub off on her. I ask her to always delay decisions just for the hell of it. She just seems to crumble under pressure. Her finest hour was the 2nd motor we got her. She displayed the uncertainty needed to get multiple discounts and got 36k off the price. That was a while ago though and since she's just not turning the screw on sellers and it annoys me. She's no pushover at all its just this particular situation she is failing at.

Just now, kkerry said:

My wife is a pretty hard bargainer for me or herself,. Does it politely, no raised voices. If it's something for her then some places she tells me to stay clear so she can get a better price. Over forty btw. No problem standing up for herself but like me, knows when it's better to walk away and live to fight another day. 

I love walking away from a deal I barred cheese from big c from the house once they hiked up the price 19 baht. It's just not right and would never taste as good to me anyway.

My wife also gets ashamed when i ask for discount but it's so very easy to do...even in the malls at the fridge-department i go to a salesman and say: sawasdee kab, lod dai mai krab? Immediatly he flips the pricecard over and there's another price with 5-10% discount.....then you can ask which cards give more discount and probably he'll tell you how to get more and how.

But avocado prices can vary during the seasons...At the Makro they don't have any avo's during some months a year but then they suddenly sell them and those will never ripen...they are picked too early by the kiwi's and i think it's cheating...one day i had many of them which would never ripen and thought of bringing them back but i was too lazy.

I don't buy any thai avocado anymore since they always have issues..a good one can be perfect but you have to be very lucky to get those. Mostly they are picked too early or late.

90 baht for 1 hass avocado in Tops is a real over the top price...and even those can be brown inside. 

For Thai it's normal to see prices fluctuate, i don't accept it though...will rather buy and eat something else if i feel a scam in the air.

Just now, mstevens said:

I'm all for standing up for principles / a price that had previously been agreed on, but maybe there is a good reason the price went up.  Ask them why the price has gone up and you might get something plausible.  At the end of the day, when you're only talking such a small amount of money, I would just pay it.  Life is too short to haggle hard over small amounts of money, in my opinion.

It's not the dough it's the acceptance of higher pricing and lack of trying for the discount or same price which disappoints. It should be so easy to do but I get the impression she thinks it's a sign of not being able to afford something. I'm thinking there must be a place where bartering is widely done and I could at least show her this and she might feel more comfortable when she sees other Thais at it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

Your wife needs to find someplace new to purchase Avocados. My wife is paying 10 baht each for Avocados from a local grower here in CM. In the stores they are 70 baht each. 

Problem in Bangkok is big supermarkets are your only realistic option, 70-110 baht each, yet in expensive Singapore you see imports from USA, Mexico, Guatemala, even Kenya, usually can get three for the same price and always better quality unlike Thailand where 100 baht can still get you one hardly worth eating. I have some local markets I can get avocados but only for brief periods and quality is hit & miss but for 25bt I can take a chance.

• Like 1

There are times and there are times... for negotiations... my wife will do what she feels comfortable with. 

Depends on the situation. Maybe the avocado lady explained the increase to your wife... prices do fluctuate here on some items, especially food. 

I never interfere. I just assume my wife has her reasons and understand if the "avocado" lady might have a personal problem, or extra special service offered, an extra 20 baht might be given to help her out... 

It is not really a lot of money, is it?

It has been my experience that traders in Thailand ..and elsewhere...enjoy and expect a bit of a "haggle". I do agree, on the other hand, that the average Thai lady is shy to do this ....and needs to be shown how to do it. After seeing the benefits and the "jovial" side it can bear...they easily pick it up.

I usually approach a trader with a serious approach, keeping a straight face while getting prices etc , and when I finally choose an item I want, I check one more time the.price....they tell me what it is...and while still keeping my "straight face" ...I ask .."And what is the price after the discount"? (as if we all know the first price was a load of horse manure)..at this point we usually break into a sort of jovial mood and things become more light hearted. 

It works more times than it fails.

My misses used to be like that till I took her back home and she watched me shop.  I purchase extra items if they are on sale as long as it has a long used by date.  When we got back to Thailand something ticked in her head, so every week on shopping day we get a reciept that gives you 100bht free if you spend more then 300bht.  They catch is you have to do this within 3 days so she takes me back shopping finds washing liquid at 50% discount.  so 900 bht laundry liqid for 350 bht now I have to find somewhere to store it. but guess whos going to have the cleanest shirts incase of a zombie apocalypse.

• Haha 1

My wife usually negotiates a price.  She always does it politely and usually jokes with the seller so it's a respectful discussion.  We seldom shop in stores but if we do she always seems to have some discount coupon amount on her phone.

My wife is a tremendous shopper in that she always looks to get a better deal. I appreciate it and her effort to save.  My wife is 45

I thought that it was an accepted and an expected thing to ask for in Thailand, and for the seller to give a discount. It's the norm. Usually the only issue is how much discount. You don't always get one, but usually you do. Sometimes when I don't ask for a discount and offer the payment, the seller deducts one for me, as if it's a loss of face to them because I was expected to ask and I didn't. I always ask by requesting what I think is a reasonable discount, and my wife always adds to the bargaining by asking for a higher number...typically she asks for 70% as a starting point. Usually it triggers the start of some jovial  bartering, and usually ends with an agreed amount and smiles all round. I think Thais enjoy the process.

My wife also doesn't like to bargain and in fact doesn't even like to ask the price before service rendered. She's no business woman though she thinks she is.. also drives me nuts! Otherwise she's not expensive upkeep or anything like that, just doesn't like to bargain. Go figure..

I used to think that it was better for me to hide away when my lady was asking for prices , because if they saw a farang the price would increase. Not so in my case, as , unfortunately, she is absolutely hopeless at bargaining, or even smelling a rip off. Worst of all she still thinks she will do ok and pushes herself forward when hailing taxis or buying some clothes, and then I intervene , which gets me in trouble even if I manage a better deal than her. It is a no win situation. Lovely woman and I love her to bits , but ... Jaysus wept... as we say in Ireland ! 

On 9/18/2018 at 12:10 AM, kkerry said:

My wife is a pretty hard bargainer for me or herself,. Does it politely, no raised voices. If it's something for her then some places she tells me to stay clear so she can get a better price. Over forty btw. No problem standing up for herself but like me, knows when it's better to walk away and live to fight another day. 

Seems to me plenty of Thais like the lady mentioned just above.

And plenty of Thais who hesitate / don't bargain because of fear they will be seen as cheap charlies.