Have retirement extension booking one way ticket to bangkok

I'm about to book my flight to Bangkok from London, and for the first time, I'm considering buying a one way ticket. I have a retirement extension till next February when ill renew for another year and not sure when I might return if at all at the moment. Am I likely to have a  problem at check-in as some of the airline staff are not well versed on thai visa types to make it worse the extension is in my old passport?

2 hours ago, chaiyapoon said:

Am I likely to have a  problem at check-in as some of the airline staff are not well versed on thai visa types to make it worse the extension is in my old passport?

Possibly but unlikely.

I assume you have a re-entry permit and you should show that to the check-in staff if they start asking about a visa. 

1 hour ago, chaiyapoon said:

I was probably more concerned about lack of onward or return flight as is my first one-way ticket into Thailand but didn't make that clear. I know some airlines are or were hot on this.

As long as you have a re-entry permit you shouldn't have problem.

If the passenger has a valid unused visa, or re-entry permit, the airline should not insist on either an onward or return flight.

I flew in a week ago on a one way ticket with a Visa stamp. 

The airlines asked me for my return ticket, I said I had a Visa stamp. She said ok no problem as long as you have a visa.

Don't worry about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

the checking staff didn't know the rules.

Therein lies the only potential problem.

There should be no problem, but assuming the check-in staff are well-informed on re-entry permits and extensions of stay may not always be a certainty.  

Just allow a little extra time for checking-in in case there is a need to summon a supervisor.

• Like 2

You need a re-entry permit and you may have to explain that allows you entry.  I was initially prevented boarding at SEA one time by EVA staff and had to raise to supervisor level as they were not aware a re-entry period acted as a visa.  An extension of stay is not a visa and does not allow entry so the re-entry permit must be what is used.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Reentry permit, visa, and you are good to go......one way and all the way once you hit the ground running in LOS.....???

You do not need a visa if you have a re-entry permit - that acts as your visa for entry.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chaiyapoon said:

Am I likely to have a  problem at check-in as some of the airline staff are not well versed on thai visa types to make it worse the extension is in my old passport?

Should not be a problem if you're flying with THAI from LHR T2, based on my experience with a return ticket last year. The check-in/baggage-drop assistant should thumb through your passport until he/she finds the relevant re-entry permit.

Could be an issue, though, in the case of other airlines and, more especially, other UK airports. For example, I did experience a little difficulty in boarding an Emirates flight to DXB from LGW several years ago. Fortunately the check-in assistant gave me the green light without too much further ado after I had explained to her the significance of the re-entry permit.

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

I had previously thought that in the case of a single entry 90 day non immigrant visa you could buy a re entry permit if you needed to travel overseas during the 90 day visa validity.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It is the 90 day permitted to stay that the re-entry permit is valid for.  You can enter 89 days after visa is issued and you still get a 90 day permitted to stay stamp - your visa does not have to be valid for your stay time.

• Like 1

If they do cause a problem just explain it to them nice and slow showing them the dates of expiration and on and on. They tried to keep me off a flight on Cebu Pacific back to Bangkok a few years ago and I explained to them very slowly and eventually they realized I was correct. It took about 15 min. for them to understand.

I flew from London to Bangkok last month on a one-way ticket. Check-in staff just asked me to show them my visa. My extension of stay (due to retirement) and re-entry permit were on the same page of my passport. No questions on arrival at Immigration in Bangkok either. 

My understanding is airlines get fined if they allow you to board without a return ticket or valid visa/re-entry permit. Not sure how they operate this but I guess if one of their passengers is denied entry at Immigration because of the wrong documentation the airline has to get them back to the point of origin. 

7 hours ago, chaiyapoon said:

I was probably more concerned about lack of onward or return flight as is my first one-way ticket into Thailand but didn't make that clear. I know some airlines are or were hot on this.

If you are not feeling comfortable with it ,you can buy an open ticket thats valid for a year . If you stay longer then a year just let it expire might be a bit more exspencive then a one way but i just mean its gor your own comfort. And you have a year to decide if you want to stay or not .

Edited by Nanaplaza666

2 months ago I returned from NY on Qatar. They asked me how long I was planning to stay and when I replied about 3 months, they asked if I had a visa. I said yes I have a visa and I'm permitted to stay until next January. I then showed them the "visa" (retirement extension) and the re-entry permit stamps with the dates and they were happy. Here on TV we talk about retirement extensions but when talking to airline personnel, I prefer to keep it simple and use their terminology.  

Have returned to Thailand numerous times over the last seven years flying with several different airlines from different countries including the UK

I have a Retirement Extension and multi re entry permit, only once did the check in person question the lack of a visa and that was in Australia.

Dont worry just be prepared to explain if necessary.

• Three months ago I took Swiss Air out of Chicago (never again) to go thru Zurich and onto Bangkok; the seat agent was satisfied with my visa/re-entry permit (retirement good til Jan) and did ask about the visa. You have a re-entry permit?  Don't take Swiss Air on a cheap ticket I also advise you, the seat agent may give you a broken seat.

My two cents...

Each time I return to Thailand without an ongoing ticket of any sort, since I live here on retirement extensions, the airline in my home country asks for the return/ongoing ticket, then usually accepts the Thai re-entry stamp as proof that I can enter Thailand.  Only once have I had to go to a "supervisor," for a double-check; the supervisor accepted the re-entry stamp.

At check-n, always remain calm.  Try not to talk any more than necessary.  Point to the re-entry permit in your passport and at the "stay until" date.

Bon voyage.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:30 PM, lanng khao said:

Is there much difference in the single and return price?If not just pick a return date and don't use it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation.  I did that the first time I came to Thailand from my home country, some years ago.  Since then, I use roundtrip tickets originating in Bangkok, so I return to Bangkok without an ongoing ticket.  I have never had much trouble checking in at the airport in my home country.

• Like 1