Should i buy my fiancee's apartment?

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

if she is your fiancee  and your into her, pay it off for her as a gift as you say, your not worried and it and its not a fortune. dont listen to all the cheap charlie, bitter TV members here that have been ripped off by their hookers.do something nice.

I agree.  I'd just buy it and then you know the daughter has somewhere to live.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

The smart money would say make the monthly payments at minimum or take ownership of the condo. 

I am assuming it's a condo not an apartment, since there is a mortgage. 

I wouldn't assume that as many of SWMBO's friends have apartments and mortgages.

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I wouldn't assume that as many of SWMBO's friends have apartments and mortgages.

Thai banks will loan Thais money on a 30 year leased apartment? Never have met a Thai who has a mortgage on an apt. 

Edited by inThailand

The OP indicated the 300k was around 90% mortgage.  You would be unlikely to get a condo in BKK for 330k, but this would be reasonable for a small apartment.

Irrespective whether you consider this to be a small amount to lose, I would agree that paying off the monthly mortgage would be a better suggestion than paying off the entire amount, even though the payment schedule represents a relatively high APR of just under 12% ps (assuming 3k/mo over 30 years). 

If you have plenty of money and the 300,000 won't break the bank, then do it and leave it in the wife's name. Plenty of guys, including myself, have come here and paid off a wife's debts after a trusting relationship has been established.

I've been married 8 years and just bought my 31 year old school teacher stepdaughter a 300,000 baht preowned car with no expectation for anything in return. She is a fine lady and certainly worthy of such a gift. That money went a long way so far as giving me big face with family and friends and gaining for me much respect, trust, love and admiration....a small price to pay to gain the most important things in life. Such acts of charity makes the bonds of matrimony much stronger. Of course, in the OP's case he'd better make sure his relationship is already on solid ground before he starts throwing any significant amount of money at it.

28 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Thai banks will loan Thais money on a 30 year leased apartment? Never have met a Thai who has a mortgage on an apt. 

Who is talking about 30 year leased apartments? 

As I said many of SWMBO's friends are buying their apartments (not buying a lease to them) and have loans to do so and as such have mortgages

mortgage

a legal agreement by which a bank, building society, etc. lends money at interest in exchange for taking title of the debtor's property, with the condition that the conveyance of title becomes void upon the payment of the debt.

That you haven't met any of the hundreds of thousands of Thai people who are doing exactly that is irrelevant and proves nothing. I have met quite a few who are.

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

if she is your fiancee  and your into her, pay it off for her as a gift as you say, your not worried and it and its not a fortune. dont listen to all the cheap charlie, bitter TV members here that have been ripped off by their hookers.do something nice.

Speak For yourself... 

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

And what do you know about their relationship?  Zilch, zoro, nada.  Some people are born breach birth and remain pesimistic for the rest of their lives.

No,  relationships break down regardless of kids,  location whatever. Leaving the brain at the airport and buying houses,  gold, cars supporting extended families etc really is for the naive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

And what do you know about their relationship?  Zilch, zoro, nada.  Some people are born breach birth and remain pesimistic for the rest of their lives.

No,  relationships break down regardless of kids,  location whatever. Leaving the brain at the airport and buying houses,  gold, cars supporting extended families etc really is for the naive. 

56 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

You must live in a small world, as i know many condo's in Pattaya and Jomtien that are in foreclosure by the banks, and I doubt that were foreign owners.

Yes, in Thailand an apt by definition is leased, condos can be bought and those can get a mortgage. I never hear of a Thai getting a mortgage on an apt, a leased unit. 

So not your wife... Dont be in a hurry to prove yourself for something that doesn't need to be proved.  You're taking her to US so let's start there. Give it some more months together. It can change quickly with an thai girl and for the smallest reasons. So relax and enjoy the 3000 bht rent.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Old Fool said:

I'm worried that I may get into a mess by buying instead of paying the 3000 baht per month payments

Stick with the monthly payments, it ensures regular sex.

Remember Briffault's Law, past payments count for nothing in the future and are forgotten the moment they have been made.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sead said:

So not your wife... Dont be in a hurry to prove yourself for something that doesn't need to be proved.  You're taking her to US so let's start there. Give it some more months together. It can change quickly with an thai girl and for the smallest reasons. So relax and enjoy the 3000 bht rent.

Yes! Some would argue the faster the release of funds the faster your looking for a new gf, because the last one just cashed out. 

• Like 2

If you buy it, you clear the debt.  That's always a good idea if you have the money.  However, if you buy it, put it in your name and save it as an investment.  Hard assets like property are generally a good investment.  If things go south in the future, you can always sell it.  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

Buying the daughter a condo (or at least paying a good chunk). Hate to image what you're going to have to buy for the future wife and the family members lining up for a slice of the pie. Seems 300k is just stage 1.

Good luck, think you're gonna need it, but then if you have the money and are not too concerned, then you've probably already made you're mind up.

The relies you get here will just complicate matters.

• Thanks 1

This a prime example of using the correct terminology regarding property in Thailand.  Is it a unit in a condo or is it an apartment unit. Apartment units can not be owned by non Thais.

49% of the floor space in a condo can be owned by non Thais.

Property registered as an apartment have no foreign allowance.

5 hours ago, murraynz said:

many men DO  get ripped off by women in thailand , who are not 'hookers' ??

giving sizeable sums of money to any woman is NOT  clever...think again.

im not bitter,not a cheap charlie--just realistic...

many men get ripped off period, cos their stupid. Theirs a difference between being ripped off and doing nice things in a relationship. if your not stupid and dont walk around with you head in the sand you will know if the girl/lady is into you. 

7 hours ago, hobobo said:

He's never mentioned "doing something nice", but he did say he didn't want to get screwed over. The "doing something nice" has only come out of your mouth.

by him the OP saying he was thinking about paying her loan off so that the daughter could live there without his fiancee having to worry about her daughter, was that not a NICE THING TO BE DOING ? you sound like a great catch......NOT :cheesy:

Edited by catman20

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

by him the OP saying he wanted to pay her loan off was that not a NICE THING TO BE DOING ? 

His "nice thing to be doing" (according to you; he didn't say it!) was conditional on not being screwed over. In simplest way possible, he wasn't sure about her at all.

4 minutes ago, hobobo said:

His "nice thing to be doing" (according to you; he didn't say it!) was conditional on not being screwed over. In simplest way possible, he wasn't sure about her at all.

if hes not sure about her what the fxxx is he thinking about marrying her for in the first place then. im not sure who but either you or the OP needs to sort yourselves out.

Edited by catman20

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

if hes not sure about her what the fxxx is he thinking about marrying her for then. im not sure who but either you or the OP needs to sort yourselves out.

Start with you then. My last word on the subject.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, catman20 said:

many men get ripped off period, cos their stupid. Theirs a difference between being ripped off and doing nice things in a relationship. if your not stupid and dont walk around with you head in the sand you will know if the girl/lady is into you. 

yes, many men ARE STUPID..or gullable , but giving lots of money away, in a new relationship, is not being nice, it just sets the stage for larger takings,later on...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, murraynz said:

yes, many men ARE STUPID..or gullable , but giving lots of money away, in a new relationship, is not being nice, it just sets the stage for larger takings,later on...

i would not of thought it was a new relationship if the OP is thinking of marrying her.

fools rush in where angles fear to tread 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1