Thailand shouldn't hike interest rates this year - finance minister

webfact

Thailand shouldn't hike interest rates this year - finance minister

2018-09-20T042204Z_1_LYNXNPEE8J093_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ECONOMY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Apisak Tantivorawong, Thailand's Finance Minister gestures during an interview with Reuters at the Finance Ministry, in Bangkok, Thailand, August 3, 2018. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand should not raise interest rates this year as the baht is strong, inflation remains low and a trade war is a concern, the finance minister said on Thursday.

Apisak Tantivorawong's comment came after the central bank's monetary policy committee on Wednesday voted 5-2 to leave the policy rate <THCBIR=ECI> unchanged at 1.50 percent. Analysts viewed a growing split vote as a hint of a hike soon.

The central bank should consider a good timing for policy tightening and make sure it will not cause problems for the economy, Apisak told reporters.

"The central bank said it was worried that the baht would strengthen because of fund inflows and also trimmed its inflation forecast for 2019. But why would they want to raise rates now?" the minister said.

The baht <THB=TH> was trading at 32.38 per U.S. dollar on Thursday mid-morning, strengthening from 32.43 on Wednesday and hovering at more than three-month high against the greenback. It is Asia's best performing currency this year.

(Reporting by Kitiphong Thaichareon; Writing by Orathai Sriring; Editing by Richard Borsuk)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-20

12 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Call me sceptical, but with a miltary Junta and no free elections something smells fishy to me.

I'd be more suspicious towards a universal system that requires faux monetary comparatives.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

It is Asia's best performing currency this year.

Call me sceptical, but with a miltary Junta and no free elections something smells fishy to me.

a hot shower might help to get rid of a fishy smell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just asking.

M1 money is the value of notes coins and other available easily convertible sources, immediately available sources etc?

M1 money is the total value of notes, coins in circulation as well as demand deposits without maturity held with financial institutions. for an ad hoc evaluation the relation of M1 expansion with the expansion of GDP is used.