Police out in force ticketing anything and everything..

richard_smith237

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep...  after a little back and forth, when asked for her license my Wife presented yesterdays ticket...  to which the Police officer said (paraphrase)... "you were also using your phone here yesterday".. of course, my Wife pointed out.. "No... the Police officer made the same mistake you did today and wouldn't accept his mistake... which is why the phone is now in a handbag on the backseat !!!!"....

I know we're going to get flamed by the 'holier than thou' brigade but a ticket is fair consider the amount of traffic laws which get stretched or violated on a daily basis by just trying to navigate the city...  the first of which is a right turn at the end of my sub-soi which technically is not permitted but everyone does.... 

This is why many locals do not like the BiB..Most know from their life that they are after pocket money. Now if the hierarchy are giving bonuses for ticket issue, which means "legal" payments,  we can expect a lot more "stops"..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Of course, your wife could have just produced the ticket from the previous day which under the Thai system gives an inexplicable 7-day no further fines period.

I was told 3 days, clarification anyone?

After the OP mentioned Asoke junction, the BIB, and a "fine", the rest of his post was superfluous. 

Interesting story, but it was completely irrelevant.  Fortunately, Asoke junction and the Thong Lo district is only a percent or two of Bangkok's area.  Unfortunately, some people just can't avoid it.  For example, I worked there for 6 years.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will pay in the tent and got out of the car, being about a metre taller and about 40kg heavier than him, he didn't argue.

Just curious as to how your size compared to that of the cop relates to the matter?

Did you anticipate a physical confrontation?

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

so it is illegal to use your phone with google maps to navigate?

Yes, if your phone is in your hand you can get a ticket,

doesn't matter if you are on Facebook,WhatsApp, Google maps or anything else 

If it's mounted though, I think it's fine

hands free kits were still legal last I checked for making or taking calls

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

On that junction the police also often stops motorcycle drivers without helmet.

Yesterday I rode there, with a helmet, and I saw maybe 10 police officers. Most of them looked like new recruits learning the job.

They stopped me for no reason and asked for the driver license.

I told them I have no license, I have only the paper from the police that I should go to the station and pay a fine to get my driver license back.

They looked at the paper, gave it back to me, and that was it.

I asked one of the officers and they told me they are training.

Officially when the police writes a ticket it must be paid within a week or so. The police collects the license and give the driver the paper.

But in my experience it's a good idea to keep that paper forever. Because the next time the police want to see a license there is no license to collect. And that means there is no money to make. And they let you go again...

The insanity of living in a country where the receipt for receiving a ticket is potentially of more use than your license.... 

• Haha 1