Raptor claws grasp high-end pickup market

rooster59

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Lets face it motor heads, engine cc are getting smaller and smaller but have much higher output compared to a few years back.

I rented a small Opel SUV when back in DK last month, 1.2 turbo petrol engine, very nippy.

For my family driving app 10-12K km per year, small cc engines makes most sense, saving fuel when popping around town but still a bit grunt for longer trips. Most km's done doing school runs urban area Pattaya.

Would still prefer a 5L Ford Mustang to be honest, ha-ha. 

I remember the late 80s and my lovely Uno Turbos, great fun, boost increased to over 1  bar= 150mph 0-60 6.9secs, hilarious things, all in a  1,3 -1,4 engine. Then they brought in speed  cameras and all the other "safety" BS, virtually  killed any enjoyment of motoring in the UK

fiat-uno-turbo-2-serie-mk2-1990-118-lm104c.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

I'm surprised that, as I read it, it is only a 2 litre???? Not enough grunt for my liking. Apart from that, the high tax rates on vehicles made and bought in Thailand are reason enough not to buy here. 

formula one car engines are tiny and plenty of grunt

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DavisH said:

The biturbo is similar to the 3.2 at low rpm but has higher hp and TQ at higher rpm. It won't run out of breath as quickly as the 3.2.

which was grossly underpowered for a 3.2 anyway

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

I remember the late 80s and my lovely Uno Turbos, great fun, boost increased to over 1  bar= 150mph 0-60 6.9secs, hilarious things, all in a  1,3 -1,4 engine. Then they brought in speed  cameras and all the other "safety" BS, virtually  killed any enjoyment of motoring in the UK

That's a Frigidaire...?

Just now, Esso49 said:

Yes but be fair they do cost rather a lot of money and need a considerable amount of routine maintenance.That last word being unknown to most Somchais.

ah but with 5  year easy payments and free 1  yr  insurance..........what could   possibly  go wrong??

• Haha 1

Just now, kannot said:

a  little  tweak and ................. frigidaire  cruise  missile

Yeh but you can only drive it at night with a bag on your head...?

At the drags I watched an old van trounce a Ferrari...Anything is possible...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeh but you can only drive it at night with a bag on your head...?

At the drags I watched an old van trounce a Ferrari...Anything is possible...

youve seen me out with my bag????................in my van??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kannot said:

Not stupid enough to throw  money away in life on a de valuing asset got me where I am today, unlike  many Thais and others  worldwide I have no debt, but you go ahead and  borrow  that money over the next 5  years if  you like, show me how to be the  "big man in the  village/moo ban " .

I wouldnt be assuming anything regarding my finances if I was you though..

Some other items you may want to consider   below , I think youd  look great in it

article-1245128-07F53410000005DC-498_468x286.jpg

Well done! Initial comment from me was some time ago, but thankfully we finally got an answer although a weak one. Just yanking your chain, relax and take it easy. ?

2 hours ago, kannot said:

I remember the Uno, that was a cheap ass car and you had one. Well done that man. Kinda explains why you can't afford or won't buy the Raptor you cheap ass. ?

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

Well done! Initial comment from me was some time ago, but thankfully we finally got an answer although a weak one. Just yanking your chain, relax and take it easy. ?

Im a busy man jetting round the world in the last week currently in the UK, bloody freezing and wet, cant wait to leave.

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

I remember the Uno, that was a cheap ass car and you had one. Well done that man. Kinda explains why you can't afford or won't buy the Raptor you cheap ass. ?

am trying to buy another but they are so rare  now. I didnt have one I had about 4.

Raptors  cack, underpowered, overpriced may as  well get the wildtrak got the same engine for 400k less, paints  still crap on them and dealers a  joke by  all accounts. Ill stay a  cheapass

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 9:04 AM, transam said:

If we are going to talk "Top End" pickups it looks like Mercs offering will trounce the Raptor at the stop light drags and a long straight road..Now that would be a bit embarrassing for me..?

But a Honda civic would smoke the merc in a traffic light drag race.... ???? 

You need an off road course to have a proper race for off road vehicles

The merc probably wouldn't make it to the finish line......

7 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Civic does it 7.5 seconds...?

The 0-60 times are done on black top with professional drivers..????

1 minute ago, Ks45672 said:

Those new Civic Turbos are brilliant value, id say they arnt far of my 6.5 to 100.. in the mountains one up with their lightnes and superior handling there is no contest, in fact the Mrs say let him go. I have no choise n ive got 2 Turbos.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 8:50 PM, kannot said:

am trying to buy another but they are so rare  now. I didnt have one I had about 4.

Raptors  cack, underpowered, overpriced may as  well get the wildtrak got the same engine for 400k less, paints  still crap on them and dealers a  joke by  all accounts. Ill stay a  cheapass

"On Friday, Ford Sales and Service Thailand Co Ltd was ordered by the Thai court to pay compensation to 296 Fiesta and Focus customers, ranging from Bt15,000 to Bt240,000 per person, for the faulty Powershift transmission. The total amount is over Bt24.7 million. This follows the AUS $10 million fine slapped on Ford in Australia earlier this year for “unconscionable conduct” in the way it treated customers for the same Powershift gearbox case. Over 10,000 customers were affected in Australia.

Nevertheless, future problems are not something one can predict, and let’s hope that the Raptor doesn’t fall into the same pattern. I do hope so, as the four-day encounter with the Raptor turned out to be a highly positive experience."

Be forewarned on the Ranger/Raptor/Everest - it seems they may now be experiencing the beginnings of a tranny problem, like the Focus/Fiesta had, see link below to other thread with article (in Thai only - with a rough google translate) that says production was halted and VINs shipped frozen due to problems with the trannys...so careful with that 10AT - transmission typically is considered an important part of the overall drivetrain ???? and you do not want the same issue Focus/Fiesta owners had. 

• Like 1

"On Friday, Ford Sales and Service Thailand Co Ltd was ordered by the Thai court to pay compensation to 296 Fiesta and Focus customers, ranging from Bt15,000 to Bt240,000 per person, for the faulty Powershift transmission. The total amount is over Bt24.7 million. This follows the AUS $10 million fine slapped on Ford in Australia earlier this year for “unconscionable conduct” in the way it treated customers for the same Powershift gearbox case. Over 10,000 customers were affected in Australia.
Nevertheless, future problems are not something one can predict, and let’s hope that the Raptor doesn’t fall into the same pattern. I do hope so, as the four-day encounter with the Raptor turned out to be a highly positive experience."

Be forewarned on the Ranger/Raptor/Everest - it seems they may now be experiencing the beginnings of a tranny problem, like the Focus/Fiesta had, see link below to other thread with article (in Thai only - with a rough google translate) that says production was halted and VINs shipped frozen due to problems with the trannys...so careful with that 10AT - transmission typically is considered an important part of the overall drivetrain [emoji846] and you do not want the same issue Focus/Fiesta owners had. 

I heard the same and a few (Thai based) customers have been given replacement cars/trucks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I heard the same and a few (Thai based) customers have been given replacement cars/trucks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow a full replacement - that says a lot about the potential scope of the problem. On another TV thread someone has written off the trouble as a missing external clip on the transmission. I say there is no way they would stop production for a missing clip - they would pump the vehicles thru then add the clip after the fact, an easy fix in the holding yard. The fact they stopped production and are replacing entire vehicles for customers does not bode well for this transmission - beware

• Like 1