Does being an expat keep you younger in spirit and ambition?

rooster59

16 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..they were pretty common in my village-with or without foreigners.

But your post was a none to subtle "western" bashing exercise,was it not?

If you find one of those supposedly intrepid,unconventional and mind expanding free spirits in Thailand then please let me know.

Generally it was pensions,Brexit,Trump and those people from the middle east (you know the ones) and the price of a cup of coffee with the odd leer at a passing female.

Alexander MacDonald

Jim Thompson

William Ellwood Heinecke

Anthony Alexander Poshepny

Jack Brown

Andrew Biggs

Farang BaanNok

Bernard Trink

Dave the rave

Green star submission writers - google

I could give you a hundred more but will not because their privacy is important.

Too, there is your definition of mind expanding and mine.  I'm sure they are different. 

It is extremely difficult to rescue people in triple canopy jungle.  A friend of mine did this every day for 2 years.

I was at his funeral in Pattaya (he got killed in a bus accident) also at his funeral was a hypnotherapist who helped people stop smoking and conducted funerals both interesting people and FF (can't post name) the only guy I know to make a long term relationship with a drop dead gorgeous go go dancer work.  They have beautiful children and she is one of the most devoted wives I've ever met (he has had a number of health emergencies).  Groups that I belong to in Thailand and America are simple more stimulating in Thailand.  The people are far more interesting.  They have more fun and do more exciting things. 

2 hours ago, ReMarKable said:

What determines the difference? 

My English wife kicked me out, and I couldn't face a future of living in a bedsit while hoping she would let me see my kids once a week. If not for that, I'd still be there.

The series of Asian 20-year-olds in bed with me was just icing on the cake.

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm sorry you felt the need to become defensive because someone doesn't agree with your "words of wisdom".

Boredom is a state of mind - your mind, not mine. I never experience it - never have. There are never enough hours in a day to become bored. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I can't think of something to do, either physically or mentally.

Just because someone else doesn't suffer from your affliction (boredom) doesn't mean all others do too.

Thus reminds me of when i was young and found "parties"  boring so didnt  go, always got  called boring..........rubbish imo, same with alcohol, never  liked it same response.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kannot said:

Thus reminds me of when i was young and found "parties"  boring so didnt  go, always got  called boring..........rubbish imo, same with alcohol, never  liked it same response.

You and me the same. As a non-drinker, parties are not as much fun... and I was often accused of being boring. The reality is that drunks are the boring ones, but they are too drunk to realise it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, tropo said:

I get up and cook the bacon for her. If you sit around and let the lady do all your work, you're going to go downhill rapidly. Fighting laziness is a monumental task - it doesn't help if the lady does everything for you.

Interesting philosophy.

I think I'll take the risk though!

I guess it depends on the expat.  The Thai bashers and haters certainly have no youthful or adventurous mindset. The TV screen sports crowd  slavishly following 'footie' are not exactly adventurous as they just replicate a mundane western existence.  They could be anywhere. But the guys who get out, do some bar hopping, bar fine girls, travel around Thailand and engage with life here then I think they have a lot more fun and stay more youthful. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, TonyClifton said:

I'm shocked the answer isn't so readily available to you.  Love.

Love and of course a case of daddy issues.

This is the funniest post i've read today......so far!

Comedy gold...

On 9/23/2018 at 1:28 PM, marcusarelus said:

Sorry.  But then why would you come on a Thai Forum and boast about not having a Thai wife?  What's that to be proud of?  I don't have a British wife but I don't feel the urge to brag about it?

Sorry. but then why would you come on a  Thai forum and want to defend / apologize for ALL things Thai with the usual reference to the UK.

5 hours ago, brling said:

Sorry. but then why would you come on a  Thai forum and want to defend / apologize for ALL things Thai with the usual reference to the UK.

Because it is a Thai forum.  I live in Thailand.  I like Thailand.  I take offense if you speak negatively/untruthfully about Thailand.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Because it is a Thai forum.  I live in Thailand.  I like Thailand.  I take offense if you speak negatively/untruthfully about Thailand.  

I don't think it's right when people take offence when none was offered.  That seems like stealing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, The manic said:

But the guys who get out, do some bar hopping, bar fine girls, travel around Thailand and engage with life here then I think they have a lot more fun and stay more youthful. 

Why do you think you have to pay greedy prostitutes to have any fun. 

20 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't think it's right when people take offence when none was offered.  That seems like stealing.

A guy in the post below yours wrote, " Why do you think you have to pay greedy prostitutes to have any fun."

Do you think that is offensive?   

How about anti Semitic jokes? "My dentists told me a joke last week. A Jewish man was talking with his Rabbi" Do you find those offensive? 

Perhaps you could quote the post I took offense at that was not offensive?  

I don't think it's right when people accuse others of wrongs without even telling what those wrongs are. 

I had a girl tell me I did something wrong at a party 30 years ago.  She couldn't remember where the party was or when it occurred or who was there.  Should I take her seriously? 

Edited by marcusarelus