"No, you gave me a 100 baht" says 7/11 staffer after being handed 1,000 baht

webfact

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I always get out of the truck to check it anyway plus I log the distance travelled and have a reasonable idea of how much diesel I will need.

Really, try using the fuel gauge. Surprisingly, the fuel gauge in my truck has always given me a plausible indication of fuel required to fill up.... 

42 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

It happened to me recently on a much smaller scale when I was short-changed 100 bahts at a local popular large ironmongers store.  Again, the cashier clearly knew, as she walked quickly away from the till immediately, but refunded the 100 without argument or without checking the till the moment I complained.  No apology of course and you have to wonder how often they try this sort of thing.

So you were "refunded", huh? I'd say she "coughed it up". Or did she pull the hundred out of her bra? ????

At first I was bemused when, in the Philippines, every clerk or waiter to whom I gave money told me exactly what I gave them.  My mindset was that, "Yes, I know I gave you a thousand pesos.  I was the one that gave it to you!"  But I guess there is a good reason for it.  Makes it much harder to scam as in this case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balo said:

Good to see CCTV cameras are working , some of the staff are just plain stupid thieves. She is out of a job now for sure .

yes and sad to think how many others she has ripped off...

Edited by Catkiwi
tropo
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever been refunded too much?

Yes a few times in 7 actually. Once I just stood there and held the money and receipt until his associate looked and told the young boy he had given too much.
Had an airport vendor try and clip me for 100 on a pack of cigarettes from a 1000 note but I counted the change over the counter and when I got to 700 just put my hand out and the other 100 was given with a sorry as many have said.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Has anyone ever been refunded too much?

Yes, in a local Mini-Tesco I was given change for a 1,000 baht note when I had only given a 500. I noticed the error as I was counting my change whilst walking out of the store.

I am aware that cashiers in these places have to pay for their own mistakes, and 500 baht is no laughing matter, so I returned to the cashier and pointed out her mistake - oddly, she actually seemed quite annoyed.

She called in the manager, who checked the receipt and went through the till. Then they had to complete a written form (all in Thai, of course) which I was asked to sign, before I was "allowed" to hand back the 500 baht note.

The whole process took about 20 minutes, and I had only popped in to buy a bottle of milk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

No, you gave me a 100 baht" says 7/11 staffer after being handed 1,000 baht

Same thing happened to me in Starbucks in Udon Thani, Caledonia the TP who colluded with the staffer and denied me, nothing more than a lying bunch of thieves.

Complained to Starbucks head office in Bkk who again denied me but sent me a note to say I could go to any branch and get two free drinks of my choice, (open admission of guilt) so I got the two most expensive drinks they sell and poured them into the waste bucket in full view of them

I have not been back since and I will never go there again.

Total bunch of shmuks

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've never had such issues at 711s or Family Marts but I have at restaurants. So at restaurants when I pay with 1000 baht I show the bill and say the amount. Seems a bit much but it always works and I haven't had any waiters give me attitude about it either.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i do the same and dont let go of the 1000 note until they acknowledged it 

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes, in a local Mini-Tesco I was given change for a 1,000 baht note when I had only given a 500. I noticed the error as I was counting my change whilst walking out of the store.

I am aware that cashiers in these places have to pay for their own mistakes, and 500 baht is no laughing matter, so I returned to the cashier and pointed out her mistake - oddly, she actually seemed quite annoyed.

She called in the manager, who checked the receipt and went through the till. Then they had to complete a written form (all in Thai, of course) which I was asked to sign, before I was "allowed" to hand back the 500 baht note.

The whole process took about 20 minutes, and I had only popped in to buy a bottle of milk.

i had the same thing in 7/11 without the paper work, 555

16 hours ago, Bantex said:

Sometimes as I’m handing over a 1000 Baht note and before I let go of it I’ll ask the server what size of note it is, saying I’m not wearing my glasses this forces them to confirm its 1000 Baht in front of everyone.

Other times I simply tell the server “I’m sorry but I’ve nothing smaller that 1000 Baht note” or “ do you have change of 1000 Baht note”.

Easier than this is to just say "hai phan neung" (give one thousand). I hear the locals saying this all the time - it serves as both a request (do you have change for a thousand) and a heads up to them that you know how much you handed over. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Very common and handed down from generation to generation. I had it happen at a 7 11 years ago. Didn't budge and got the correct change back. Open air food markets are notorious for this trick. 

Happened to me in Koh Samui in a cabin type bar about 15 years ago . Gave 1000 baht for a small beer and I got change from 100 baht . I stood my ground and argued with the bar girl for a couple of minutes until 3 Thai guys appeared and surrounded me . Well because I am allergic to hospital food I thought it best to get the hell out of there whilst still in one piece but a lesson well learnt and I always try to avoid giving 1000 baht notes in bars by having smaller change in my pocket .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

I got conned the same way once.  best advise is they leave the 1000 paper on counter until the change is readied.

You are right , so often the note is placed in the till and then the change is paid out . Opposite in many UK shops where the note is rested on the till and the change is calculated and paid , all in full view of the customer , why ? because the scam has worked the other way with dodgy customers saying they paid with a 20 pound note when they only paid with a fiver  and young till staff are easily conned .

• Like 1

i never use to check my bar tab (silly me) i was out with a lady one night she checked my tab, yes it was wrong, the old trick is the cashier, puts a drink for her on the tab ,i wonder how much money they make doing this every night, * at a very busy bar on the corner in LK METRO.* my lady got attacked in the toilets for the *TROUBLE* she caused

• Like 1

Where ever I shop I always count to the checkout and if 1K note I say just that. However, do check your receipts too as in a couple of shops I have read 2x an item where I only bought 1. In all those cases I immediately report it while still in the shop and always been refunded. Once outside, then no chance of a refund.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm lucky at my local 7/11. I go there about 4 times each week and have had a few 'wrong change' incidents. Whenever I've not made a mistake myself (and I have made a few), the till has been closed, independently checked and balanced. This has resulted in the correct change then being tendered, with an apology.

It's always better to check your change whilst standing in front of the cashier, before leaving the shop, to avoid any misunderstandings.

Last year most customers paying for items with more than 100 Baht got shortchanged 20 Baht in a certain 7-11 in Khao San Road. Check your change so you can identify the bad shop locations. It's not about losing 60 cents but it's just principle. Such behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

Edited by wump