71 Killed As Dengue Deaths Spike

webfact

71 Killed As Dengue Deaths Spike

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

14473133811447313463l-728x428.jpg

Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Dengue deaths among Thais are up over 30 percent from last year, the health ministry said Sunday.

Low awareness about the disease was blamed by one official for the rise in deaths, but infections have also spiked by over 50 percent since January compared to the same period in 2017.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/09/24/71-killed-as-dengue-deaths-spike/

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-09-24

I copped dengue for the first time this year after 6 year and 30+ visits with no issue. 

Move travelled all over Thailand during peak season for mosquitoes but I can’t remember ever being attacked like I have recently 

Edited by MadMuhammad

Years ago  when I was still very naive about Thailand and the problems here. My young stepdaughter contracted dengue fever and had to be admitted to  a small town  hospital . We managed to get her a private room ( Very old and dirty ) Where I stayed with her and the family overnight all in the same room .... as Thais do. I had no idea what Dengue fever was or that it was contagious . So I happily stayed in the same room for moral support. I am surprised the hospital authorities did not tell us about the risks involved but healthcare is very lax in Thailand   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Dengue Fever is not contagious, it cannot be spread from person to person.

It can if a infected person in a room is bitten by a certain type daytime only moskito that then later bites the other persons in the room where it has contracted the virus. I think it takes a week to be able to infect others.  .

Dengue is spread from this scenerio 

Science might save the day, but too many people are scared of it.

GM mosquitoes wipe out dengue fever in trial

"The controlled release of male mosquitoes genetically engineered to be sterile has successfully wiped out dengue fever in a town of around 3000 people, in Grand Cayman, an island in the Caribbean Sea, researchers report."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

This is beyond stupid! Go research the definition of contagious then come back and tell us if quad's scenario fits the bill. A mossie bites one person in a room, then seven days later it comes back and bites the second person in the same room and that's supposed to be person to person contagion.......I don't think so matey! For Dengue to be contagious it would need to be transmitted from person to person, without the intermediary host in the middle and that doesn't happen, not ever.

I believe I've said it already 'matey': semantics !

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Read my lips, Dengue Fever is not transmitted from human to human, it is not contagious!

I know that this is true but there was an outbreak in my village recently. Everyone in one family contracted it and only that family was affected.

Mossie bites an infected person, buzzes over to another person in the room, bites them and voila!

anybody knows how toxic the spray is they use ? might affect lungs ... and is it not funny... you or your neighbor are spraying and mosquitoes can travel from other places nearby where neighbors just leave water standing in whatever pots, pans, cracks and they will come back to you, so pretty useless of all that fogging

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Science might save the day, but too many people are scared of it.

GM mosquitoes wipe out dengue fever in trial

"The controlled release of male mosquitoes genetically engineered to be sterile has successfully wiped out dengue fever in a town of around 3000 people, in Grand Cayman, an island in the Caribbean Sea, researchers report."

Not scared, just using common sense. The much touted success of the cayman Island trial turned out to be  marketing hype. The 62% "improvement" was an inflated number. It turns out the old tested and tried procedures of  cleanups, removal of breeding areas and spraying were the reason for the success.

"None of the scientists at MRCU would have said that the project was a success," Dr. Alan Wheeler, assistant director of the MRCU's research and development office, wrote in a Feb. 18 email to Nancy Barnard, then-acting MRCU director.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article211305309.html

• Like 1

A few years ago they had a big epidemic over 100,000 cases and around 100 people dead. The death rate appears to be about 1 percent. I do not know if it is the cycle of the mosquitoes are maybe more people aware helps. When they had the 1000,000cases our little neighborhood in CM had a number of cases but no deaths.

Around Mae Hong Song they had a very bad malaria problem years ago until they started a villiage inspection team that goes around every week cleaning up breeding area and they also use a sand that kills the larve. My wife says only a few cases now instead of the hundreds of bygone years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Read my lips, Dengue Fever is not transmitted from human to human, it is not contagious!

Shouting "Read my lips" in a digital forum format is nonsensical at best and a rather antagonistic way to express yourself, but not the same level of "you've got to be kidding" as downplaying the risk of the spread of dengue with semantics.

If there are mosquitos present, and obviously there are thus risk by proximity, who gives a rat's how one technically acquires the sometimes fatal illness?

Geez....

Edited by YogaVeg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Shouting "Read my lips" in a digital forum format is nonsensical at best and a rather antagonistic way to express yourself, but not the same level of "you've got to be kidding" as downplaying the risk of the spread of dengue with semantics.

If there are mosquitos present, and obviously there are thus risk by proximity, who gives a rat's how one technically acquires the sometimes fatal illness?

Geez....

The person who gives a rat's is the person who is trying to protect themself from Dengue, should they avoid mossie's or should they avoid people or should they avoid both.......jeeze, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

On our planet "semantics" means something different from what it means on yours, apparently!

Here, let me help you with that:

Semantics

noun
  1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
      plural noun: semantics
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"

PETTY STUFF INDEED.
Edited by YogaVeg
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Here, let me help you with that:

Semantics

noun
  1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
      plural noun: semantics
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"

Petty stuff indeed.

Go read post 18 and understand why this issue is important to the people who don't really understand how Dengue is transmitted.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not scared, just using common sense.

How it is an issue of common sense?  In theory and in controlled environments, it works.  This was one of the first field trials.  If the results are disputed, then that only points toward the need for more trials to prove effectiveness.

In a country with 3 diseases (malaria, dengue and encephalitis) spread by mosquitoes you would expect to find anything that helps reduce the threat to be price assisted by the health authorities. My family has used those little electric burners that evaporate liquid from a soaked card or from a bottle to quite good affect but the price has always been prohibitive. Nets and  mesh on windows does nothing if the insect is already inside which no matter how hard you try happens. So once you put them up it still pays to plug in the exterminator for extra safety but many village Thais will not be paying the 100b for a small bottle on their limited wages. In Australia sun-cream is very cheap, a govt edict to reduce skin cancer. Why aren't all these helpful mosquito exterminators cheap for a similar reason. 

3 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

anybody knows how toxic the spray is they use ?

Usually a pyrethoidn derivative, of which there are more than a dozen different kinds.  They are usually considered to be one of the safest (i.e. least "toxic") to mammals, although there might be some concern about aquatic animals.  Overexposure usually does not cause symptoms of classical poisoning, but rather intoxication, from which mammals recover quickly without permanent damage.

might affect lungs

Pyrethrins are not a respiratory irritant unless somebody is especially sensitive (asthmatic).  I am a bit sensitive to flea shampoos that contain pyrethrins and once got a nasty rash on my hands and arms from giving a bath to a dog using such a shampoo.  But the mosquito fog they use in my neighborhood has never bothered me in the slightest aside from being a bit unpleasant smelling.

... and is it not funny...

Well, okay.  Did somebody say it is funny?

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

In a country with 3 diseases (malaria, dengue and encephalitis) spread by mosquitoes you would expect to find anything that helps reduce the threat to be price assisted by the health authorities. My family has used those little electric burners that evaporate liquid from a soaked card or from a bottle to quite good affect but the price has always been prohibitive. Nets and  mesh on windows does nothing if the insect is already inside which no matter how hard you try happens. So once you put them up it still pays to plug in the exterminator for extra safety but many village Thais will not be paying the 100b for a small bottle on their limited wages. In Australia sun-cream is very cheap, a govt edict to reduce skin cancer. Why aren't all these helpful mosquito exterminators cheap for a similar reason. 

sun screen is toxic and goes into the bloodstream

the thing is to not be an arse and bake in the sun for hours with your white-ish skin

aboriginals never used and lived there for tens of thousands of years

4 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

anybody knows how toxic the spray is they use ? might affect lungs ... and is it not funny... you or your neighbor are spraying and mosquitoes can travel from other places nearby where neighbors just leave water standing in whatever pots, pans, cracks and they will come back to you, so pretty useless of all that fogging

Afraiid I have to differ I lived in Singapore for three kyears inthe early Seventies an d fogging was the regular event on every street ,monsoon drain and water mass, three years four bites ,not wearing any repellents whole family the same. Thailand sporadic fogging ten years, bites mostly monsoon season daily wearing the famous deet Some one ,Called Lee Kwan Yoo, got it right with the persistent determination to fog,fog, fog.

1 hour ago, dickjones2018 said:

sun screen is toxic and goes into the bloodstream

the thing is to not be an arse and bake in the sun for hours with your white-ish skin

aboriginals never used and lived there for tens of thousands of years

In the minds of some TVF posters, anything is possible, that said sunscreen is not toxic.

And aboriginals, of course, don't have skin pigments that protect against the sun...oh wait, they do.