Street dogs coming at me!

YogaVeg

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Is there a place in Chiang Mai where we can buy those extendable batons that is convenient to carry around.

Long sticks are too inconvenient.

it's been a while since i was there.........was a police supply store across from the police barracks south of town near the bridge, had all sorts of batons and whacking items.

just checked the googles, it's there on south side of mahidol road across from region 5 police, "strong man police"

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too have had many scary encounters with overprotective dogs when riding my bicycle south of town. Most dogs are used to motos and bikes so don't pose a threat. But there are some that are aggressive and nasty and when traveling in small packs can be quite intimidating. I have a piece of bamboo mounted in a PVC pipe "holster" attached to my front fork. Usually, just pulling that out and waving it overhead will turn them around. I've only had to actually hit one since carrying the stick.

Joggers and bikers should all carry some sort of dog protection be it a stick, mace or bear spray, a sound repeller, or even a cap-gun. The cap gun works well but it looks like a real gun and in some quarters might cause resentment or worse. While walking or riding along ask yourself, what would I do if a pack of dogs attacked right now? Carrying some sort of stick is the best and easiest solution.

Dave

Grew up with dogs as beloved pets, matured to prefer the grace, subtle personalities, and hidden intelligence of felines. 

If it were legal, I'd humanely put a .22 round in every free roaming mutts skull that I could. ???? I'd also euthanase feral cats. Pet cats should be indoors. They destroy wildlife needlessly. 

7 minutes ago, AlaskaDave said:

@Small Joke,

Oh, if only we could do that. I love Thailand and its people, but the goddamn dogs!  They are the worst feature of this lovely country.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 3 years.  I have lived in Bangkok for 2 years.  I have lived in Pattaya for 3 years. 

I have lived in a number of other locations in Thailand over 15 years. 

I walk every day and have done so every day I have lived in Thailand. 

I have never had a problem with dogs. 

Draw your own conclusions. 

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 3 years.  I have lived in Bangkok for 2 years.  I have lived in Pattaya for 3 years. 

I have lived in a number of other locations in Thailand over 15 years. 

'I have never had a problem with dogs.'  You're lucky. Let it be.  -  In my village those problems started with the arrival of one certain dog. I think the owners trained him to attac foreigners.

Back to the OP. I prefer to take along a stick before going outside. I too would suggest a tool

like 'Dog Chaser' Super Ultrasonic MT-651, bought via Lazada. Helps a lot, also in case of endless barking at night. You just need a 9 volt battery. Please be careful, it's not a life insurance.

And for you, marcusarelus, just be happy.

Maybe it's your smiling, your scent our your size that will guard you from bad dogs.

image.png.6a84cbf65d1c415a3965f5e8555c772f.png 

+1 What wolfmuc said.

I say better safe than sorry. A friend of mine was bitten by a dog while bicycling a couple of years ago. He had the endure the trauma of rabies shots as a result. I'm sure walking on a major road or larger soi is safer than the small neighborhoods I frequent. As I said, most dogs who are accustomed to foot and bike traffic will ignore you. But I don't dare ride down the smaller sois here in Saraphi after being chased by packs of dogs, snarling and with teeth bared on several of them, even carrying my bamboo stick.

You've been lucky so far, marcusarelus.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Interesting statement. I could imagine several stories, but which of them would be accurate?

The conclusions that I come to are: 1. You've been lucky and 2. Best be careful or your time will come

Noone is a victim, until they are.

From what I've seen, dogs are a real issue here for many reasons, and it is wise to be ready for them.

2 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Interesting statement. I could imagine several stories, but which of them would be accurate?

The conclusions that I come to are: 1. You've been lucky and 2. Best be careful or your time will come

Noone is a victim, until they are.

From what I've seen, dogs are a real issue here for many reasons, and it is wise to be ready for them.

All these people who have had problems with dogs giving me, who has never had a problem with dogs advice.  Do you find something strange in that?  Maybe you should be asking me what I do that you do not do that has protected me for 20 years all over Thailand.  Just saying...

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

All these people who have had problems with dogs giving me, who has never had a problem with dogs advice.  Do you find something strange in that?  Maybe you should be asking me what I do that you do not do that has protected me for 20 years all over Thailand.  Just saying...

Well you are certainly welcome to share your advice instead of bragging that you've had no problem. You'd prob find the words better received. This is, after all, a thread asking for advice on how to deal with feral and aggressive dogs.

There are other threads here too: ones about a 4 y/o girl who died and the guy on his way to the hospital for shots, that kinda offset tales of bravado such as "it's never happened to me"

If you get what I mean ????

If the dogs feel your afraid they will become more aggeessive, so just stand your ground for a few seconds and shout loud , or throw some rocks. They will not bite unless they have to.

If the dogs feel your afraid they will become more aggeessive, so just stand your ground for a few seconds and shout loud , or throw some rocks. They will not bite unless they have to.

In my case i was bitten by a ninja soi dog !
Never saw it coming ! Was in stealth mode !!
I rode my bicycle into a small soi and after about 50 yards this dog jumped up and bit my backside and continued to try and bite me. I stopped my bike shouted at him and he ran out the soi never to be seen again.
Can only imagine i had strayed onto his “patch” and he was showing me who is the boss ( or top dog ), never seen him again and i pass this soi daily .

Wasn’t a bad bite but caused a nice bruise and broke the skin so i had the pleasure of the course of rabies jabs [emoji20]

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

Well you are certainly welcome to share your advice instead of bragging that you've had no problem. You'd prob find the words better received. This is, after all, a thread asking for advice on how to deal with feral and aggressive dogs.

There are other threads here too: ones about a 4 y/o girl who died and the guy on his way to the hospital for shots, that kinda offset tales of bravado such as "it's never happened to me"

If you get what I mean ????

I already did.  One guy said make eye contact with dogs.  100% wrong.  Pick up a rock 100% right.  If you see a child torturing or killing animals it usually means they are going to have severe mental problems.  

This is Thailand not the UK.  If you want to go bike riding outside go with a group of Thai guys.  If not ride inside and watch tv while pedaling.  Say it over and over again.  This is Thailand.  I will adjust to Thailand.  Thailand will not adjust to me.  Say it again. 

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

This is Thailand.  I will adjust to Thailand

I have adjusted to Thailand...............and poisoned the bastard dog that attacked me and my little daughter.

This although I have been dog owner in the past and have gotten on with every dog I have ever encountered, but when a "dog pack" mentality ensues so the dogs' behaviour can change and there's no telling what might happen.

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I already did.  One guy said make eye contact with dogs.  100% wrong.  Pick up a rock 100% right.  If you see a child torturing or killing animals it usually means they are going to have severe mental problems.  

This is Thailand not the UK.  If you want to go bike riding outside go with a group of Thai guys.  If not ride inside and watch tv while pedaling.  Say it over and over again.  This is Thailand.  I will adjust to Thailand.  Thailand will not adjust to me.  Say it again. 

Ok thanks for the one tip of picking up a rock.

I've never been to the UK nor have I been on a bike in Thailand yet nor am I about to wait for some group of local guys (!) to chaparone me about my daily walks, perhaps those gems will help someone else lol.

Your mantra is weird.

If this is a culture where children are encouraged to torture animals as you imply, then yes I could see how unique problems would develop. But I've seen no sign of that accusation and it flies in the face of the Buddhist tradition, no?

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have adjusted to Thailand...............and poisoned the bastard dog that attacked me and my little daughter.

When I lived in Mexico the government had a programme, where they would put a notice in the local newspaper telling dog owners to lock up their animal the upcoming weekend, then they would go out in a truck and toss poisoned meat in key areas. The next day they would come back and pick up all the dog carcasses.

It was brutal to watch, especially for me the dog lover who was also protecting my dog at that time, but definitely an effective way to deal with a real problem.

I don't blame you one bit for protecting your daughter and yourself. Some animals go too far and are not fit for cohabitation with humans.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:28 AM, YogaVeg said:

And what, threaten them with it? Swing it at em? Bounce it off their head?

How do authorities react to a falang walking around with a possible weapon? And using it on a street dog?

These are serious questions. Where I'm from, walking around with anything deemed a weapon can in and of itself be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't see other people walking around with bamboo at the ready...

I see guys who are out walking wearing proper kit  carrying what look like telescopic Nordic walking sticks I will look out for them for myself before my next trip.

50 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Ok thanks for the one tip of picking up a rock.

I've never been to the UK nor have I been on a bike in Thailand yet nor am I about to wait for some group of local guys (!) to chaparone me about my daily walks, perhaps those gems will help someone else lol.

Your mantra is weird.

If this is a culture where children are encouraged to torture animals as you imply, then yes I could see how unique problems would develop. But I've seen no sign of that accusation and it flies in the face of the Buddhist tradition, no?

1.  Rock. 2.  Don't make eye contact.  3. Don't ride a bike alone in areas with packs of roving dogs.  (That's what I advised) 

I didn't say Thais children killed animals.  The reference was about the posters in this forum who are advising everyone to kill and maim and give a slow death by poison to man's best friend.  If such behavior was observed by a psychologist in a child they would lock them up. 

Do you see many Thais out for a daily walk?  If yes walk where they walk.  If no, walk at home on a step exerciser or treadmill. 

You are like the rest.  Closed eyes and expect Thailand to adapt to your daily walks.  I got some news for you.  Not your country.  Adapt to Thailand.  Not Thailand adapt to your daily walks.  See if and how they do it and copy.  Get it? 

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

This although I have been dog owner in the past and have gotten on with every dog I have ever encountered, but when a "dog pack" mentality ensues so the dogs' behaviour can change and there's no telling what might happen.

What do you think a Thai would have done in the same situation?  Why had a Thai not done anything?  What makes you different?  Maybe a Thai would have done the same thing.  In that case you have adjusted your behavior to Thailand.  I certainly have seen many Thais poison many dogs.  I think (not sure) that my trash men poison rats/dogs and anything that eats where the trash is dumped.  My dog only goes out with me on a leash and doesn't bark unless threatened because I trained her and know that Thais don't like barking dogs.  They seem to disappear around my house. 

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You are like the rest.  Closed eyes and expect Thailand to adapt to your daily walks.  I got some news for you.  Not your country.  Adapt to Thailand.  Not Thailand adapt to your daily walks.  See if and how they do it and copy.  Get it? 

You have an odd manner of communication, it's not easy because your words get lost in this weird judgemental condescending confrontational tone.

Perhaps you aren't even aware of it...?

I've got advice for you now: reread your words out loud before you post it.  Try to put yourself in the position of the reader who's going to try to be making sense of it.

I'm sure your position is important to you and you're clearly passionate about it, but frankly the message is getting lost in the delivery, just saying.

1 minute ago, YogaVeg said:

You have an odd manner of communication, it's not easy because your words get lost in this weird judgemental condescending confrontational tone.

Perhaps you aren't even aware of it...?

I've got advice for you now: reread your words out loud before you post it.  Try to put yourself in the position of the reader who's going to try to be making sense of it.

I'm sure your position is important to you and you're clearly passionate about it, but frankly the message is getting lost in the delivery, just saying.

That's called a flame.  You are responding to me instead of my message. 

Adapt to Thailand.  You are posting like you have a right to take daily walks.  You don't.  The Thai soi dogs are more important than you.  Ask any Thai.  They will give you your place in the pecking order here. 

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why had a Thai not done anything? 

No Thais in that soi.

What makes you different?

I'm not Thai and I put peoples safety above those of a soi dog.

Maybe a Thai would have done the same thing.  In that case you have adjusted your behavior to Thailand.

Thank you...……….yes I have.

But I would like to point out one thing when you are pontificating about where one should walk, how one should walk and so on: Soi dogs do not own the soi and one should NEVER have to change ones routine to accommodate mad, flea infested, mangey and possibly rabid soi dogs, and I would gladly offer my services to an organisation that rounded them up and killed them......….AND impose large fines on Thais/farangs who let their dogs become part of a soi dog pack.

They are one of the scourges of Thailand and this can easily be tidied up.

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Adapt to Thailand.  You are posting like you have a right to take daily walks.  You don't.  The Thai soi dogs are more important than you.

Hmmm......that says more about the poster than the subject.

Nuff said.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

No Thais in that soi.

I'm not Thai and I put peoples safety above those of a soi dog.

Thank you...……….yes I have.

But I would like to point out one thing when you are pontificating about where one should walk, how one should walk and so on: Soi dogs do not own the soi and one should NEVER have to change ones routine to accommodate mad, flea infested, mangey and possibly rabid soi dogs, and I would gladly offer my services to an organisation that rounded them up and killed them......….AND impose large fines on Thais/farangs who let their dogs become part of a soi dog pack.

They are one of the scourges of Thailand and this can easily be tidied up.

If what you said carried more weight than the bark of an average soi dog you would have a point.  I guess you have not adapted to the point where you realize how the cow age the cabbage in Thailand.  If you run into a soi dog on your motorcycle the Thais will feel sorry for the dog before you. 

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Hmmm......that says more about the poster than the subject.

Nuff said.

Not me.  I'm just an observer in Thailand. I have a long term relationship in Thailand.  The reason it works is I never say anything negative about anything even remotely connected to Thailand, 

39 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

3. Don't ride a bike alone in areas with packs of roving dogs.  (That's what I advised) 

Living here many year now.  The most upsetting dog attack happened to me when I was riding my bike home in the evening through a small village.

I passed that way several times a week.  Always lots of dogs out at night.. about 20.  They always barked and chased me.. but I never was scared of them biting.  Thought it was all show.  Was for about a year.  

Then one time I was cycling with them all around me, but I was not concerned... when one grabbed my ankle and pulled me off the bike.  I was then bitten on the leg hard and the other dogs were surrounding me barking madly and very close to me.  It was very frightening.  I managed to get up and stamp on the dogs face and it leg go, but went straight for another bite.. so I threw my bike at it.  All the dogs backed off, but still all barking madly.

I limped to the side of the road and sat on a concrete bench near a water machine.  Blood all over my leg and very painful.  I was shaking.  The dogs were all goring crazy, but no longer right up close to me in attack mode.  I had to call for a friend to come pick me up in his car.  I had to go to the hospital and have stitches and all the anti rabies shots.  2 big painful bites.

The thing that upset me the most about that situation was that no Thai person in the village came to help me.  I felt totally helpless.  I was even shouting for people to come out and help me.  There were people looking sneaky looks through the windows of the house I was sitting outside.  I even tried to walk to someone house, but the pack of dogs gathered again in front of me in their garden, so had to go back.   The barking and noise was crazy... and for the half hour till my friend arrived it continued.  Still not a single person came to help.

There was no point going back to confront anybody.  I would not know which house the dog belonged to, and am sure everybody would just deny it was their dog.  

Archived