Street dogs coming at me!

YogaVeg

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Living here many year now.  The most upsetting dog attack happened to me when I was riding my bike home in the evening through a small village.

I passed that way several times a week.  Always lots of dogs out at night.. about 20.  They always barked and chased me.. but I never was scared of them biting.  Thought it was all show.  Was for about a year.  

Then one time I was cycling with them all around me, but I was not concerned... when one grabbed my ankle and pulled me off the bike.  I was then bitten on the leg hard and the other dogs were surrounding me barking madly and very close to me.  It was very frightening.  I managed to get up and stamp on the dogs face and it leg go, but went straight for another bite.. so I threw my bike at it.  All the dogs backed off, but still all barking madly.

I limped to the side of the road and sat on a concrete bench near a water machine.  Blood all over my leg and very painful.  I was shaking.  The dogs were all goring crazy, but no longer right up close to me in attack mode.  I had to call for a friend to come pick me up in his car.  I had to go to the hospital and have stitches and all the anti rabies shots.  2 big painful bites.

The thing that upset me the most about that situation was that no Thai person in the village came to help me.  I felt totally helpless.  I was even shouting for people to come out and help me.  There were people looking sneaky looks through the windows of the house I was sitting outside.  I even tried to walk to someone house, but the pack of dogs gathered again in front of me in their garden, so had to go back.   The barking and noise was crazy... and for the half hour till my friend arrived it continued.  Still not a single person came to help.

There was no point going back to confront anybody.  I would not know which house the dog belonged to, and am sure everybody would just deny it was their dog. 

What could you have done differently to avoid the confrontation? 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You can't move all the Farang out of Thailand because Thailand needs the money.

The problem is the dogs. You like your dog, we get it. You hope your dog doesn't bite a farang, because you know what might happen, understood. 

Best keep him on a leash.

A water pistol with ammonia or vinegar will send them packing. The harm to them is only temporary.

Regardless of how aggressive the dog or dogs are, remember they are defending territory. If you injure one with a stick, you might have a Thai owner on your case, and things escalate from there.

You are quite entitled to do anything you want with a dog that invades your property. One of my favourite local dogs was shot by a neighbor for chasing his chickens.

2 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

The problem is the dogs. You like your dog, we get it. You hope your dog doesn't bite a farang, because you know what might happen, understood. 

Best keep him on a leash.

You are looking at from a ethnocentric point of view.  That's what I've been trying to tell you.  You are judging Thailand by your culture.  No.  Not in your culture.  We are in Thailand.  You are in Thailand.  Soi dogs belong here.  You are the problem.  If Farang not here dog would not bite Farang.  Now do you get it?

The house opposite me has a pit bull, nice looking dog ( from a distance, I ain’t getting close [emoji51]) , it never leaves the garden, usually.
Yesterday during the day there was an almighty commotion going on next door. The Golden Retriever that lives there ( another one that never leaves the garden) was going mental !!
At first I thought it was attacking one of the many cats that roam around but the Pit Bull was stood on the outside of the retrievers gate.
Took both the owners to drag it back to its own garden, it really wanted some red meat !!
Another time it had a internet connection guy shivering up his bamboo ladder !! Kinda comical but the consequences could have been nasty.
The owners are pretty slack and occasionally leave their gate open, the girl seems to be the owner as the boyfriend/husband is afraid of it !!

But, the real problem is, it’s a very quiet moobahn ( 1 way in and out, no passing traffic) and there toddlers on bikes and a very small kid in an electric car driving around.
I would really hate to think what could happen if this Pit Bull goes walk about and comes up against the kid in the electric car !!

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You are looking at from a ethnocentric point of view.  That's what I've been trying to tell you.  You are judging Thailand by your culture.  No.  Not in your culture.  We are in Thailand.  You are in Thailand.  Soi dogs belong here.  You are the problem.  If Farang not here dog would not bite Farang.  Now do you get it?

I get that you like to philosophize and speak metaphorically.

That's nice.

But in the real world, farang is here like it or not and not going away. Many farang will take action on dangerous animals. Best keep him on a leash.

7 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I get that you like to philosophize and speak metaphorically.

That's nice.

But in the real world, farang is here like it or not and not going away. Many farang will take action on dangerous animals. Best keep him on a leash.

How long have you been in Thailand?  2 weeks?  Looking to get an ed visa?  You are telling me to keep my dog on a leash?  What are you going to do if I don't?  I got here in 1968.  Don't much listen to Farang.  They don't have much to say of any interest.  Not adept at critical thinking.  I would suggest you not taking any action on anything till you find out a bit more about how Thailand works. 

This issue has been debated year after year, but it's always useful for the newbies, the older boys know the score.

The best deterrent for dogs is a simple walking stick.

If you are confident , most probably the dogs will just watch you go by.

If the pack of dogs are really feral, take another route.

The real problem is for the bicycle riders imo, as your ankles are exposed, and your speed is equal to the average dog's speed.

I would not count on the law to help you, even if you are right.

If you get bitten, your first thought is the hospital and the anti-rabies injections.

28 minutes ago, xylophone said:

What absolute crackpot nonsense...…….surely this has to be trolling at its worst? 

Read it and weep.  Who is the troll?  I'm just writing what I read on Thai Visa.

" I tried to shove off the other dog with a kick, of course i missed, and that dog kept attacking my dog.

Immidiately local Thais (horse rider and lady selling drinks on the beach) started screaming at me: NO KICK!!

CALL POLICE!! etc.

There were another 10-15 thais playing at the beach (tourists), which just looked at the situation.

So i was the bad farang"

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1059399-can-i-protect-my-dog-from-other-dogs/

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Very practical to walk around with that everywhere, for a pack of dog you are carrying a couple so they don't get jealous? :cheesy:

A little thought goes a long way...………...

Once the offending dog(s) have been identified, then return the next day with a pre-prepared treat and the problem will be solved.

Not too difficult for you I hope? 

43 minutes ago, xylophone said:

A little thought goes a long way...………...

Once the offending dog(s) have been identified, then return the next day with a pre-prepared treat and the problem will be solved.

Not too difficult for you I hope? 

Not difficult but I don't like to walk around town all day with smelly meat, just to keep a aggressive dog happy. Could be attracting every dog in town who smells the treat. 

32 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not difficult but I don't like to walk around town all day with smelly meat, just to keep a aggressive dog happy. Could be attracting every dog in town who smells the treat. 

Ah missed the point...……….it's not to keep an aggressive dog happy, but to eliminate the problem!

36 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Haha, by the time you finally meet the bad dog, you would have 2 or 3 packs of them following you.

Wow, you see the controversy stirred up around these blasted curs. Yes, we're only guests here and should learn to adapt to the culture. I totally agree. I sincerely love living here. Of the few things that bother me about Thailand the one that annoys me most are loose, untrained or unruly dogs. They are, in my opinion, Thailand's worst feature. I've learned to ignore the noises of mating cats, and snarling, barking dogs in my otherwise quiet neighborhood in the middle of the night, I ignore the speaker trucks that drive along blasting advertisements for hand-phones or car dealers, and luckily I don't live near a bar offering live music. I do not hate dogs. However, I find that most dogs are at best, a nuisance. I wish that dog owners took more time to train their animals, and that goes for dog owners in the U.S. as well.

For the dog defenders on this list, go ahead and do what you will. Walk without protection near neighborhood dogs if you like. For me, I'll try to be prepared. I will never go out of my way to hit or discipline a dog but will remain critical of those dog owners who let their vicious "pets" loose on the sois.

Dave

Common events which i had the misfortune of witnessing, although i was not the victim...

Event 1) You hit a bad dog, 2 or 3 angry owners come out of the woodwork to attack you.

Event 2) A bad dog bites you, no any owners in sight, help yourself.

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You seem to have a very different attitude to life than anyone else.

I don't think being against vicious street dogs biting people is wrong.

It's not the culture to have street dogs in large numbers attacking and killing people.

If Farang not here the dog would not be biting the Farang… ture… it would be biting the Thai... which they also do more often that Farang… as there are more Thai here than us!!!!!!!!!

If might be news to you... having lived here so long I thought you might know this... but Thai people who have a problem with a dog will likely also poison or get rid of it in another way.

If I am not mistaken you attitude is never say anything against problems in Thailand... as its their 'culture'?

If that is the case then you will also not complain or say anything against Thai drunk drivers, children driving motorbikes, child prostitution and human trafficking, violence, corruption, pollution of the sea, illegal wildlife trade, rapes, murders, etc... as its just the Thai culture?????

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

But it may prevent other injuries and deaths, which surely has to be the main consideration.

Well, ok, there is a problem with dogs, and i agree that it must be addressed.

Still i think there may be other ways to deal with that, instead of poisoning all of them.

PS

, in the case of a person being mauled to death, i can concede that that dogs are better be destroyed.

When cycling I carry an expandable baton. Not a flimsy, cheapo from the night market, but an ASP (made in U.S.A.). I am fairly confident I can fend off or disable(kill or break bones, spine, etc) any dog that tries to attack me. Not sure about pitbulls, but just about any other breed it should do the job.

Of course I hope I never have to hurt a dog, but if it comes down to me or the dog, I know who I value more. So far I haven't had to strike any dogs, it has been close a few times, but they back away when they see I mean business.

I am not worried about the Thai owners or Police. I find Thais to be quite reasonable when it comes to things like this. In fact often, if the owners are around and see the dogs getting aggressive, they are the ones beating them with sticks before I get within range.

The baton also comes in handy for various situations when we are out with our toddler and there is a chance dog attacks, such as at the wife's village. Just a couple days ago her mother called and told us of a small child that was mauled by local dogs.

Archived