Street dogs coming at me!

YogaVeg

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, ok, there is a problem with dogs, and i agree that it must be addressed.

Still i think there may be other ways to deal with that, instead of poisoning all of them.

PS

, in the case of a person being mauled to death, i can concede that that dogs are better be destroyed.

Nobody's going to destroy them

If the government did it nobody would need to be using poisons

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ks45672 said:

Nobody's going to destroy them

If the government did it nobody would need to be using poisons

Well, in my neighbourhood i heard rumours that some Cambodian residents are 'controlling' the soi dog's population.

I have no other way to explain how sometimes, some of them disappear.

It will come the time when the government will have to do something to address the problem.

Generally speaking, dogs in the streets are fairly harmless in the daytime. They seem to spend a lot of time sleeping.

Night time is when they are dangerous. They gather in packs, and you need to be on a scooter or in a car to be safe. A pushbike or on foot won't do.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, YogaVeg said:

And what, threaten them with it? Swing it at em? Bounce it off their head?

How do authorities react to a falang walking around with a possible weapon? And using it on a street dog?

These are serious questions. Where I'm from, walking around with anything deemed a weapon can in and of itself be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't see other people walking around with bamboo at the ready...

I carried a length of blue water pipe when out on my bike. They never got close enough to hit them, as the sight of the pipe made them run away. Had they actually got close enough to bite me, I'd have hit them across the nose. The head's no good, as too strong to hurt much.

Alternatively, a few big stones works as well once they see the stones being waved at them.

What would the authorities do? Joking, aren't you? They probably wouldn't do anything. Anyway, I never saw any of them whenever dogs were attacking me. I sometimes chased the dogs back to their owners, but they did nothing either, and usually just laughed.

These days, I'd carry a walking stick. At my age it's quite normal to have one of those.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Have you ever ventured beyond your 'own' soi?

Maybe he walks about in the shopping malls after driving there in his car.

Seriously, if we wanted to come visit me I could take him to several locations where he would have a problem with some street dogs for sure....  Out in the countryside and rural villages is very different to living in the more busy areas where the dogs are more tolerant of people (they have to be or they 'go missing' pretty quickly. 

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What would the authorities do? Joking, aren't you? They probably wouldn't do anything. 

If I were bit and required medical care, and approached the authorities with:

1-pictures or video of the dog/its home

2-my medical bills

3-the name of the consulate/media I was reporting the story to, and

4-a few thousand baht

...I suspect I might be able to drum up some action ????

3 hours ago, balo said:

So you lived here since 1968 ?  You must be 70+ years old ?  Still not adapted to Thai culture? Are you a Thai citizen ?   

You sound like a troll to me.

Yes I'm 70 + years old.  I've adapted fine.  I don't have problems with soi dogs.  Why would think I have not adapted to Thai culture?  Plus I didn't say I have lived her since 1968.  I said I got here in 1968. 

1 minute ago, YogaVeg said:

2-my medical bills

4-a few thousand baht

Pls don't take offense, but that's a strange concept of enjoying a good time :whistling:

38 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Maybe he walks about in the shopping malls after driving there in his car.

Seriously, if we wanted to come visit me I could take him to several locations where he would have a problem with some street dogs for sure....  Out in the countryside and rural villages is very different to living in the more busy areas where the dogs are more tolerant of people (they have to be or they 'go missing' pretty quickly. 

I believe you.  I'm not the farmer type.  I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and other city/industrial areas of Thailand.  I don't care for the country lifestyle. 

4 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:
18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Pls don't take offense, but that's a strange concept of enjoying a good time :whistling:

I'm confused, who said anything about enjoying a good time? I'm talking about resolution/justice.

Perhaps it's just me, but i don't see any justice in having a bad time.

29 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

2-my medical bills

4-a few thousand baht

I suspect that your rank right near the top of the list of the most niave people to visit Chiang Mai.

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps it's just me, but i don't see any justice in having a bad time.

Who said anything about having a bad time? 

The bad time is the getting bitten part. I imagine getting some justice could feel rather satisfactory. For one, whoever owns that dog should be held accountable for medical bills, that's actually the law in Thailand if the attack takes places on public lands.

Furthermore, if I do nothing, am I then complicit if the dog later attacks, say, a 4 y/o girl?

2 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Who said anything about having a bad time? 

The bad time is the getting bitten part. I imagine getting some justice could feel rather satisfactory. For one, whoever owns that dog should be held accountable for medical bills, that's actually the law in Thailand if the attack takes places on public lands.

Furthermore, if I do nothing, am I then complicit if the dog later attacks, say, a 4 y/o girl?

Well, if i got bitten, i would probably clean my wound, probably get an anti-rabies shot, then buy some beers, go home to listen my favourite music and chill.

In theory we are all complicit of all the injustice in the world, but before accusing others, i prefer to start clearing my inner conflicts.

Of course you can start a campaign against feral dogs, but there are worse things than that on this planet.

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Well, if i got bitten, i would probably clean my wound, probably get an anti-rabies shot, then buy some beers, go home to listen my favourite music and chill.

In theory we are all complicit of all the injustice in the world, but before accusing others, i prefer to start clearing my inner conflicts.

Of course you can start a campaign against feral dogs, but there are worse things than that on this planet.

I would do the same as you but after I'd chilled I'd get in my car and put the dog under my wheels. I would then wai the owner, if there was one, tell him that the dog just ran out in front of me, offer him 50 baht for his pain and distress, drive home and have a good nights sleep.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I would do the same as you but after I'd chilled I'd get in my car and put the dog under my wheels. I would then wai the owner, if there was one, tell him that the dog just ran out in front of me, offer him 50 baht for his pain and distress, drive home and have a good nights sleep.

...Or you could get one of those fancy flying cars, have your revenge with the dog , and fly merrily into the sunset :tongue:

A place I used to live in a small town there was a growing problems with packs of wild dogs that would even ram your vehicle with their heads as you tried to drive away in your vehicle. It was really dangerous. Eventually I found out that the local Tambon had some type of department that you could contact and they would come round up the wild dogs. My neighbor called because they were getting out of control and the next day they were all gone. 

If you have a problem I suggest talking to your neighbors to see if there is someone you can call at the local Tambon who will round them up if they are becoming a problem.

2 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

For one, whoever owns that dog should be held accountable for medical bills,

But that's the main problem...….most soi dogs don't have owners and they are just left to roam and become "feral" and they are the main offenders.

Clear them away, clean the sois, reduce the fear and risk of rabies and injuries, even death...…..seems like common sense to me (esp as the majority of the ones I have seen here are subject to mange, various growths and are in terrible condition).

I used to live in and walk that area including through that cemetary

When you see them just quickly scan for stones or broken concrete on the side of the soi. One for each hand so you are always loaded.

they will back off. Very rarely you may have to hurl one at the leader.

somehow they know when you have stones even when they are cupped in your hand.

later I just got the stones beforehand and had them in my pocket as I walked and problems vanished.

theres no way they will attack or become more aggressive if you start chucking. Main danger with that is a thai dude nearby watching who may not like what your doing.

I heard from an expert former newspaper boy that dogs are repulsed by the strong steel of ammonia (watered down). There is nothing worse than smelling like another dog peed on you. So, squirt gun in hand. Am and fire. I always thought that the spray itself could do it as well.

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

But that's the main problem...….most soi dogs don't have owners and they are just left to roam and become "feral" and they are the main offenders.

Clear them away, clean the sois, reduce the fear and risk of rabies and injuries, even death...…..seems like common sense to me (esp as the majority of the ones I have seen here are subject to mange, various growths and are in terrible condition).

They may not have owners, but the problem is the people that feed them. Then they just hang around the area and reproduce more soi dogs.

16 hours ago, hwaetu Go said:

I heard from an expert former newspaper boy that dogs are repulsed by the strong steel of ammonia (watered down). There is nothing worse than smelling like another dog peed on you. So, squirt gun in hand. Am and fire. I always thought that the spray itself could do it as well.

Add some garlic oil or marinade some cloves of fresh garlic and some chilli oil to the ammonia and you have a pepper spray it may!? work as a good and not deadly dog deterrent carry a telescopic stick (not a cosh) we may have a chance and not be seen as dangerous by the locals.dont forget if you carry stones you still have to go through the motions of picking up a stone from the ground if that doesn't work use the stick and then the spray.good luck.

Archived