Street dogs coming at me!

YogaVeg

So, I was taking a shortcut near The Old Medicine School and a pack of dogs came at me. 

Specifically- at Soi Mahidon 1, Tambon Hai Ya, just north of the school. It's a quiet little area with no people, looking at the maps says there's a cemetery nearby.

Anyway, there was three or four of them and they were led by a mangy white dog who was the most aggressive and came running at me barking and growling.

They completely caught me off-guard and I had no way to defend myself. The mean white one in charge came within inches of me, I faced them off as walking away wasn't working and yelled at him, and he backed off at the last second.

But it seemed he came close to a bite. Rattled me pretty good.

Anyone got some advice on how to deal with Thai street dogs?

Usually dogs like me, and I know better than to show fear or run, but this guy was acting a little different than what I'm used to...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Carry a stout piece of bamboo, 80 cm of so in length.

And what, threaten them with it? Swing it at em? Bounce it off their head?

How do authorities react to a falang walking around with a possible weapon? And using it on a street dog?

These are serious questions. Where I'm from, walking around with anything deemed a weapon can in and of itself be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't see other people walking around with bamboo at the ready...

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Or a sausage stuffed with meat and paracetamol.

Ah, I looked it up. Paracetamol kills dogs. Not really the scenario I'm looking to create, being an animal lover and all...

Changing their attitude with meat, tho, is something worth considering... I wonder if throwing meat at a charging dog would soften it's mood...

9 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Ah, I looked it up. Paracetamol kills dogs. Not really the scenario I'm looking to create, being an animal lover and all...

Me too until a large black dog attacked me several times whilst I was on my scooter, then did the same with my 6yr old who was walking home.

Sent it to doggy heaven 2 days later as couldn't risk the little one being mauled or similar.

As for carrying a cane, well fashion one into a type of walking stick...…….perfectly legal.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Me too until a large black dog attacked me several times whilst I was on my scooter, then did the same with my 6yr old who was walking home.

Sent it to doggy heaven 2 days later as couldn't risk the little one being mauled or similar.

As for carrying a cane, well fashion one into a type of walking stick...…….perfectly legal.

Good advice on the walking stick, I could use one anyway. Or maybe an umbrella with some heft...

I hear you on protecting the kids... I'd do the same...

I have a small bottle with a spray nozzle. I boil mashed bird chili till it's concentrated and pour it into the bottle. When I jog I carry it and only had to use it once, very effective. Just have to make sure you don't spray yourself.???? Mark a black directional arrow on the nozzle to avoid a problem in the heat of the moment.

3 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

You might want to read a recent news about a 5 year old Thai girl who was mauled to death by a few dogs while riding her bicycle.

I had a few stray dogs coming up and barking at me before, I stood still and then pick up a stone and they ran off.

I avoid walking alone to secluded spots in Thailand. I usually prefer walking where there are lots of people or traffic. 

There are many stray dogs and also untethered dogs by owners who couldn't care less in Thailand.

don't run away. they will chase you then. stand your ground. stand tall. put your arms out to claim the space around you and make you look bigger. they will sense fear. don't try to 'talk' your way out. if they stand their ground without approaching, then back out very slowly, but don't show your back. if they approach, stand your ground. they watch your actions. they don't understand human talk. carry some doggie treats with you. they'll become your best friends next time.

Dogs will attack and even kill if they think they can get away with it, they are NOT your friend. I got one of those expandable metal batons, 100--200 baht. Shake that at them and if you have to whack the lead dog on the muzzle. DO NOT feed the pests what ever you do, it's a myth they can sense fear.

I got bit riding my bicycle near home so I bought a tactical baton ( stainless extending stick) and as it comes with a pouch i tied it on the bicycle. Snapped it out a couple of times to scare dogs off but never actually made contact with one .

It’s quite heavy and after a while the pouch fell apart ( i ride 15 to 20 km a day ) so back in the uk I bought a plastic one , same thing only in a heavy duty plastic with a weighted tip ( added some washers to make it easier to snap out ).
Again have drawn it out a couple of times but never had to actually hit anything, just waving it around seems to do the trick.

The steel one is in the car now, ideal for if we go anywhere with monkeys ( vicious buggers ) , well that’s my story if the cops find it anyway [emoji51]

Excellent advice, thank you all.

Knowing dogs can smell fear didn't help me in the moment tho, they caught me by surprise and it happened fast. 

I don't scare easy, but this one got me, and took my heart a couple minutes to slow down, adrenaline was rushing...

I was nowhere near anybody else and I will think twice about doing that again.

I'm fully embarrassed I didn't think of the picking up a stone thing, that's totally how we do it in Mexico, tho those dogs more often than not are more afraid than we are, given the sad mean way dogs are treated there by people.

Thanks again folks.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

1.  Pick up a stone and threaten to throw it.  Thai dogs scatter.  2.  Walking stick or umbrella. 

My walking stick below.  I use it for people more than dogs. 

stick.jpg

Wow, those look like billiards on the top! Capable of fending off large humans too! 

I bet it feels good in the hand...

Available here in Chiang Mai?

3 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Wow, those look like billiards on the top! Capable of fending off large humans too! 

I bet it feels good in the hand...

Available here in Chiang Mai?

I bought it at a Thai wood shop in a yearly market.  I seem to remember seeing them or close to it on the street where they make all the furniture. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Dogs will attack and even kill if they think they can get away with it, they are NOT your friend. I got one of those expandable metal batons, 100--200 baht. Shake that at them and if you have to whack the lead dog on the muzzle. DO NOT feed the pests what ever you do, it's a myth they can sense fear.

Yep I bike daily I also got a baton strapped to it..I stop--turn--face them and they usually are like ooops!!

Have the baton if I need it....all bark--no bite..so far....show no fear...eyeball them

If you consider how the dogs are treated by some people its not strange how they act. And dogs naturally protect their own area. Which is why they dont belong on the streets in the first place.

If it is a place you pass by often, a bribe will work wonders. Some of those cheap sausage balls or something to show good faith. Theyll know you are one of the good ones. The first time they will bark, second time they might look confused, third time tails will be wagging.

Any kind of stick would scare them away if you dont have any sausages on you. They know sticks. The fake throw a rock trick might work too.

Locking eyes with the dog is usually seen as a challenge so might not be a good idea in this case. Trying to act like you belong there, just ignore them, and be totally relaxed might work too. 

I have 5 dogs, so know a bit about them, and had to learn a bit of dog psychology along the way.

6 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

... Or maybe an umbrella with some heft...

One technique I learned from an attack dog trainer was to point an umbrella then pop it open rapidly.  I think repeatedly. It startles them and also blocks their view.

Another tool was a length of PVC pipe (60 cm?) with a tennis ball attached to the end.  Dogs tend to bite what is closest to them, so just poke it at them when they get too near.  This advice from a gal who once had to face down several Rottweilers in a pack, without any such aids.  Fortunately she knew about pack mentality and attacked the legs of the weaker lead dog.

11 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

And what, threaten them with it? Swing it at em? Bounce it off their head?

How do authorities react to a falang walking around with a possible weapon? And using it on a street dog?

These are serious questions. Where I'm from, walking around with anything deemed a weapon can in and of itself be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't see other people walking around with bamboo at the ready...

The purpose would be to bounce it off their head with the most possible force as they are closing in to attack.

In the rural village I live in the elderly locals walking carry a stick to ward away dogs. If you are worried about appearances get a longer one that doubles as a walking stick. I have seen elderly villagers walking here use the stick to ward off aggressive dogs *Thai dogs generally know what a stick would get used for). Heck, my neighborhood in Hawaii had lots of dogs and one of the elderly walkers there carried a golf iron in case of aggressive dogs. 

Up to you, I was just trying to answer your original post.

7 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yep I bike daily I also got a baton strapped to it..I stop--turn--face them and they usually are like ooops!!

Have the baton if I need it....all bark--no bite..so far....show no fear...eyeball them

The last thing you want to do is eyeball them.  Look down.  Avoid eye contact.  Dogs see that as a challenge. 

13 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Changing their attitude with meat, tho, is something worth considering... I wonder if throwing meat at a charging dog would soften it's mood...

If it's on the bone it might help. Try a pork chop or a rack of ribs. Aim for between the eyes.

This advice from a "dog expert" and it ties in with what I have read about this, esp where children have been savaged around the face area when bending down in front of an unfamiliar dog.

I feel I should note that it is never a good idea to get your face close to an unfamiliar dog...…………...

8 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Is there a place in Chiang Mai where we can buy those extendable batons that is convenient to carry around.

Long sticks are too inconvenient.

Is there a place in Chiang Mai where we can buy those extendable batons that is convenient to carry around.

Long sticks are too inconvenient.

I bought mine at the Night market on Changklan road, I think I paid 350 baht ( they start off up to 500 ).
A few of the stalls sell them.

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

I bought mine at the Night market on Changklan road, I think I paid 350 baht ( they start off up to 500 ).
A few of the stalls sell them.

I prefer a Tazer. Same price and much more effective. The look on their little faces when they get hit in the chest!

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

Or a sausage stuffed with meat and paracetamol.

I have just read this:

A 20 kilogram dog would need to ingest over seven 500mg tablets in order to suffer toxic effects.

So for those interested, a dose of rat poison in the meat would probably be better.

42 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Dogs can be a valuable asset: The Akita was originally bred for bear hunting. Larry - my Canadian friend - owned a full grown 140lb male named Cocoa - whose 'canine persona' was of the  gentle and protective variety. Larry was walking Cocoa when they were approached by a thug who had two  large adult pit bulls on a leash. The thug produced a knife, demanded money, and then his dogs lunged. Larry said  Cocoa acted quickly, and that he had never seen anything like it before."Cocoa got the first by the neck, and snapped it by rapidly shaking his head - he proceeded to disembowel the second - then he locked on to the thug' s knife hand and started ripping." The knife was dropped, so Larry gave the stop! command. Cocoa watched over the injured thug until the police arrived. If Cocoa had not been trained, he would have killed the thug.

Many dogs - just like humans - act aggressively because they have been mistreated; Consequently, I would try to make friends with the dogs in question through the use of snacks, scratching, and gentle tones.

Do you think it is wise (on Thai Visa) to start telling  stories of dog breeds killing other dogs and harming people.

Archived