20-year plan irreversible: PM Prayut

webfact

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

What an utter plonker. Doesn't he realise that the 20-year national strategy - national straight-jacket, more like - is precisely what other, more enlightened parties see as the road to hell?

And, here's another of our fellow poster's beloved rhetorical Qs: "Will you people yield to that? You can’t. This is the avenue you must pursue if you want prosperity.” Prayuth speak, of course, for ' . . . if you want me and my junta-generals to be happy with our billions and zillions . . . I love you all and may the farce be with you."

I like plonker suits. Maybe the Thais can run with that. 20 year plan is like the roadmap. There isn't one. He wants army to earn and kill democracy for the next 2 decades goose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, baboon said:

Sure. Money is certainly a factor. Agreed.

Narcissistic and thin-skin. He just want to leave his legacy of his 20 years plan. He couldn’t earn anything so he forced it down through law. He has no originality and all his policies are copied even to a simple propaganda slogan. At the end, his 20 years plan will be another failed legacy attempt as it would be written by an elected government which will dictate the plan according to their agenda.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Today, many parties are saying that when they become the government, they’ll axe the national strategy,” Prayut said. “[That is] axing your own country. Will you people yield to that? You can’t. This is the avenue you must pursue if you want prosperity.”

Prayuth is obviously overconfident in his own capabilities.

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

20 year strategy?

Probably still struggling to use a smartphone - he and his pals can not even in their wildest dreams imagine what this world will look like in 20 Years.

I wonder if his 20 year strategy includes that Bangkok will probably be under water by then?

Eastern economic corridor? What is he offering ? Tax incentives and cheap labor ( which apparently he can’t come up with either - see shortage of “skilled” labor) to foreign companies?

That will help the Thai people a lot being used as cheap labor by foreign companies - what a grand strategy !!!

What exactly has his government done the last 4 years - to benefit the average Thai who is struggling from day to day to make ends meet ? Nothing!

What exactly has his government with the grand 20 year vision done the last 4 years to lift the educational standard in this country for EVERYBODY and not only for those who can afford private schools? Nothing!

So what is his strategy ? 20 more years of nothing? 20 more years of substandard education ? 20 more years of cheap labor? 20 more years of the rich getting richer?

What does one expect from a country where people are not allowed to question or criticize the status quo however outdated it might be because of age, face, position, social status?

This country needs open minded young leaders who engage with the international community.

Leaders who think outside the box with a vision for this country that finally take them to stand on there own feet!

For sure not a bunch of of xenophobic, nationalistic, backwards, military dinosaurs who would still ride around on donkeys shooting with bows and slingshots if foreigners would not sell their latest innovations to them.

All they can come up with is an economic growth rate manipulated upwards by mega projects. ( usually riddled with corruption)

This growth rate is supposed to make them look successful ?

But who exactly benefits? The richest 1% who own the entire country while 1/3 of it’s citizens is still living in poverty.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What a brilliant post (above), Boonrawdcnx. One of the best in months. Not a lot more I myself could add. You have captured the essence of Thai reality under the junta. Well done!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Not nearly every government changes the constitution, just the military governments do. 

Actually, the constitution itself de-facto prevents any change. It is written that changing the constitution requires the agreement of 20% of MPs of EACH opposition party. So it cannot be changed unless 20% of MPs of each pro-military party agree to it. 

Submission or rebellion. It does not seem to be any intermediate option.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, candide said:

Not easily at all. In the new constitution, government organisations have the legal (penal) obligation to apply decisions by the national strategic committee which supervises the implementation of the plan. The puppet senate can also impeach a government that does not apply the plan.

Actually, the content of the plan does not really matter: it will be surely a collection of vague blah blah (they are not able to do more, anyway), that can be interpreted in any way they want. The real objective is to be able:

- to block a law they don't like

- to impeach a government they don't like for any vaguely defined reason.

I'm always happy to tag along behind someone who appears to know more than me. So, do I u/s correctly that a new govt couldn't kick Prayuth's plan out the window, yet they needn't bust a gut to implement it? What if they got a new and popularly legalised constitution - yes, a whole new bag o'tricks - that specifically cited the nullifying of the 20-yr plan?

Edited by Ossy
omisson
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DoctorG said:

If they have managed to embed this into the Constitution so governments cannot mess with it, then the simple answer is just to change the C again. It seems that nearly every gov does that anyway.

The problem is that by the time they try to start constitution reversal or scrapping it, they will be relieved of their position and put into military prison. So how to do? 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, candide said:

Submission or rebellion. It does not seem to be any intermediate option.

That is the corner into which the ruling clique has finally painted itself.

What the population do with that knowledge is the only question for the future.

Only they can answer it.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Ossy said:

I'm always happy to tag along behind someone who appears to know more than me. So, do I u/s correctly that a new govt couldn't kick Prayuth's plan out the window, yet they needn't bust a gut to implement it? What if they got a new and popularly legalised constitution - yes, a whole new bag o'tricks - that specifically cited the nullifying of the 20-yr plan?

I am not an expert. I just recollect pieces of information that I read in the news. I checked as best as I could by searching on the Internet. I also found out that It's nearly impossible to amend the constitution.

"It will require 1/3 of senate votes in the 1st and 3rd readings together with at least 20% MPs from each opposition party and also the approval from the President and Deputy President of Parliament to amend the constitution. A public referendum is required to amend certain sections."

https://prachatai.com/english/node/7062

I have not found anything about changing a whole constitution. A referendum is cited in the article. Does a change, requiring a referendum, also requires beforehand the agreement of 1/3 of Senate and 20% of opposition MPs? I don't know. My guess is that, unless a very important person in Thailand actively agrees to it, not much change is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

20 year strategy?

Probably still struggling to use a smartphone - he and his pals can not even in their wildest dreams imagine what this world will look like in 20 Years.

I wonder if his 20 year strategy includes that Bangkok will probably be under water by then?

Eastern economic corridor? What is he offering ? Tax incentives and cheap labor ( which apparently he can’t come up with either - see shortage of “skilled” labor) to foreign companies?

That will help the Thai people a lot being used as cheap labor by foreign companies - what a grand strategy !!!

What exactly has his government done the last 4 years - to benefit the average Thai who is struggling from day to day to make ends meet ? Nothing!

What exactly has his government with the grand 20 year vision done the last 4 years to lift the educational standard in this country for EVERYBODY and not only for those who can afford private schools? Nothing!

So what is his strategy ? 20 more years of nothing? 20 more years of substandard education ? 20 more years of cheap labor? 20 more years of the rich getting richer?

What does one expect from a country where people are not allowed to question or criticize the status quo however outdated it might be because of age, face, position, social status?

This country needs open minded young leaders who engage with the international community.

Leaders who think outside the box with a vision for this country that finally take them to stand on there own feet!

For sure not a bunch of of xenophobic, nationalistic, backwards, military dinosaurs who would still ride around on donkeys shooting with bows and slingshots if foreigners would not sell their latest innovations to them.

All they can come up with is an economic growth rate manipulated upwards by mega projects. ( usually riddled with corruption)

This growth rate is supposed to make them look successful ?

But who exactly benefits? The richest 1% who own the entire country while 1/3 of it’s citizens is still living in poverty.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I agree with all this...But the 20 year plan was not exactly dreamed up by Prayut....Its the polices that China wants Thailand to have that will make it more easy for China to steamroll across Thailand...The same is happening in the rest of SE Asia...See Sihanoukville Cambodia...

Edited by fforest1

32 minutes ago, candide said:

I don't know. My guess is that, unless a very important person in Thailand actively agrees to it, not much change is possible.

It actually did happened in the pre-1997 constitution. The call for a people’s referendum was initiated by a well known figure culminated in the writing of the fully elected houses constitution. 

As for this constitution, it need not change completely as many aspects are acceptable. Just need to change those highly controversial sections like the appointed upper house and the straight jacket 20 years national security. A referendum for part change is possible and I hope it does. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It actually did happened in the pre-1997 constitution. The call for a people’s referendum was initiated by a well known figure culminated in the writing of the fully elected houses constitution. 

As for this constitution, it need not change completely as many aspects are acceptable. Just need to change those highly controversial sections like the appointed upper house and the straight jacket 20 years national security. A referendum for part change is possible and I hope it does. 

And lets' not forget the attempt by your idol, through his puppet sister and his 'yes sir' salaried 'yes men' to pass a bill for a 3 or 30 trillion (I forget the amount) budget with no details. 

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

That is the corner into which the ruling clique has finally painted itself.

What the population do with that knowledge is the only question for the future.

Only they can answer it.

Exactly, Enoon. The junta have essentially given the Thais a stark choice: accept open military autocracy for the rest of your life or -  do the unthinkable.

And for the vast bulk of the Thais it is and will remain the unthinkable. They will not (in sufficient numbers) take the necessary step. So - the autocracy will continue.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And lets' not forget the attempt by your idol, through his puppet sister and his 'yes sir' salaried 'yes men' to pass a bill for a 3 or 30 trillion (I forget the amount) budget with no details. 

So much mistakes; just don't where to start. First it was 2 T Baht (not 3 or 30 T Baht) and an off-budget bill no different from the Dem Party 1.44 Baht off budget bill for the Thai Kem Kaeng 'populist' policies. Difference was that the infrastructure off budget didn't pass unlike the TKK off budget bill. Of course the junta passed the bill when they in power and increased to 3 T and counting with no oversight nor questioning by the NLA. Lastly all MPs whether Dem or PTP have salary. Considered yourself informed and you can thank me later. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

So much mistakes; just don't where to start. First it was 2 T Baht (not 3 or 30 T Baht) and an off-budget bill no different from the Dem Party 1.44 Baht off budget bill for the Thai Kem Kaeng 'populist' policies. Difference was that the infrastructure off budget didn't pass unlike the TKK off budget bill. Of course the junta passed the bill when they in power and increased to 3 T and counting with no oversight nor questioning by the NLA. Lastly all MPs whether Dem or PTP have salary. Considered yourself informed and you can thank me later. 

No matter who did it, it was immoral.