China cancels security talks with United States

webfact

China cancels security talks with United States

2018-10-01T015931Z_1_LYNXNPEE90126_RTROPTP_4_MACEDONIA-USA.JPG

U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis attends a news conference in Skopje, Macedonia September 17, 2018. REUTERS/Ognen Teofilovski

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - China has cancelled a security meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis that had been planned for October, a senior U.S. official said on Sunday, days after a top Chinese official said there was no reason to panic over tensions between the countries.

The official, who is involved in China policy and spoke on condition of anonymity, said it was not clear if or when the meeting would be rescheduled.

The cancellation was first reported by the New York Times.

The official said it was not clear whether the cancellation was because of the broad range of disputes between Beijing and Washington on issues such as arms sales and military activity in the South China Sea and other waters around China.

China and the United States are also locked in a spiralling trade war that has seen them level increasingly severe rounds of tariffs on each other's imports.

"The tension is escalating, and that could prove to be dangerous to both sides," the official said.

The U.S. State Department declined comment. Officials at the White House and Department of Defense did not immediately respond to a request for comment. China's Foreign and Defense Ministries also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sources in Beijing briefed on the matter said last week the security meeting may not take place because of the tensions in relations between the two countries.

The Chinese government's top diplomat, Wang Yi, said on Friday there was "no cause for panic" over friction between Beijing and Washington, but warned that China would not be blackmailed or yield to pressure over trade.

At a U.N. Security Council meeting on Wednesday, President Donald Trump accused Beijing of seeking to meddle in the Nov. 6 U.S. congressional elections to stop him and his Republican Party from doing well because of his China trade policies.

Trump provided no evidence for his allegation. At the same meeting, Wang rejected the charge.

(Reporting by John Walcott; Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in Beijing and Patricia Zengerle in Washington; ; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-01

Chinas got some problems.

1. The US and other nations arent going to back down in the SCS.

2. The "trade war" is affecting their economy. Countries like Thailand will be the beneficiaries of that. No one wants to do biz with basically thieves and extortionists whose business climate is not based on the rule of law. Why build it in China when you can build it somewhere else.

3. The vaunted BRI is becoming, to many countries, a case of "beware Greeks bearing gifts".

4. Xi's muscular "make china great again" policy is, in view of the above, causing difficulties for China and thus, his muted domestic critics have ammunition to critisize him. 

Its an interesting scenario

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Chinas got some problems.

1. The US and other nations arent going to back down in the SCS.

2. The "trade war" is affecting their economy. Countries like Thailand will be the beneficiaries of that. No one wants to do biz with basically thieves and extortionists whose business climate is not based on the rule of law. Why build it in China when you can build it somewhere else.

3. The vaunted BRI is becoming, to many countries, a case of "beware Greeks bearing gifts".

4. Xi's muscular "make china great again" policy is, in view of the above, causing difficulties for China and thus, his muted domestic critics have ammunition to critisize him. 

Its an interesting scenario

Indeed, and what will keep the sino BRI dependent economy and CCP in business when the world turns to Eastern Europe and South America for cheap 'stuff'?

WAR. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

When the wheels fall off, I wonder what will happen to western expats here, because China will demand all her little tinpot debtors in this neck of the woods pick a side... 

Good question. Better one will be what will China do without their own expats?

To a certain extent, China is between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Indeed, and what will keep the sino BRI dependent economy and CCP in business when the world turns to Eastern Europe and South America for cheap 'stuff'?

WAR. 

China cant beat the world. And to a great extent, the war is ongoing.

China has a chip on its shoulder due to Western Imperialism. Sometimes you got to drop the chip though and say, dudes, how can we work this out.

The big issue in China is rule of law.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

If  Thailand has to choose between Thailand the USA- it will be the USA.  Thais understand money and power and right now the US has both.

You don't seem to know that most of the influential Thai are part Chinese.

The USA has a huge debt.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

China doesn't want to beat the world, it seems the USA is trying to do that.

So far in this thread I don't see a balanced pov.

With regard to both assertions, how would you know?

• Thanks 1

This is a good thing. Maybe the incompetent morons in the US government on both sides will start paying more attention to Chinese nationals committing espionage, moles, and those in place for sabotage purposes. I still can't believe they are allowing Chinese nationals to serve in the US military. I even remember a guy telling me that there used to be a question asking you to declare if you were a member of the communist party and that now they had done away with the question. The reason I know is the guy I was talking to was a Chinese national and CCP member and the US army let him join no problem at all. Insane! The world needs to crack down hard on China in terms of security because it is getting robbed blind and it's not just the US. 

A post containing a little conspiracy theory about North and South Korea has been removed as well as the off topic discussion.  This topic is about:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - China has cancelled a security meeting with U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis that had been planned for October, a senior U.S. official said on Sunday, days after a top Chinese official said there was no reason to panic over tensions between the countries.

6 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

This is a good thing. Maybe the incompetent morons in the US government on both sides will start paying more attention to Chinese nationals committing espionage, moles, and those in place for sabotage purposes. I still can't believe they are allowing Chinese nationals to serve in the US military. I even remember a guy telling me that there used to be a question asking you to declare if you were a member of the communist party and that now they had done away with the question. The reason I know is the guy I was talking to was a Chinese national and CCP member and the US army let him join no problem at all. Insane! The world needs to crack down hard on China in terms of security because it is getting robbed blind and it's not just the US. 

Foreign nationals serving in the US military are restricted in how much access to information and to how far they advance.   

I had a good friend who was a Canadian national and served in the US military.   He was very well educated, with technical and engineering degrees.   He was never permitted advancement or any access to any education.   He was pretty much an ordinary enlisted soldier.   He did get expedited US citizenship and that is what he wanted.